Help choosing hub motor kit

topgun78

10 mW
Hello everyone,
since this is my first post I would like to introduce myself.
i am Italian and live south of Rome.I work in the aeronautical businness (pilot).
I started reading from this site from last year because I am in general really in favour of green and sustainable technology. Plus I am a very passionate cyclist and recently moved into thriathlon. My dream / goal is to complete a project in order to commute to work on a daily basis. Road to work is around 33 km with an overall altitude gain from work to home of about 400 meters (max slope 10% ).
I have been reading a lot here and there to find a good compromise to start with.
After reading a lot and trying to build up a decent culture into this world and to orient myself into which kind of project to shoot for I realized that even if for now mid drives are more efficient than hub motors they are more noisy and difficult to be fine tuned. they need almost continuous maintenance. So i oriented either for an efficient lightweight MAC motor or an heavier and more energy demanding DD hub motor.
I was addressed to two MAC kit retailer in Europe, one in Germany ( ebike-solutions.de and a swiss one aidewise.com)
On the other side I also contacted a Chinese vendor for a more powerful kit ( LEILI company)
I received an offer for around 500 euro including shipping for the different kind of kits.
The Chinese offers a nominal 3000kw dd hub motor ( ugly copy of cromotr ) plus 26rim + freewheel + torque arm + 24 fet max 72v sinewave programmable controller + throttle + ebrakes.
The German company for about the same price (530 euro) offers a full kit with MAC motor + 12 fet controller ( unknown brand) + 26'' rim + armtorque, freewheel + display + throttle + ebrakes.
Waiting for an offer from swiss (I expect it to be fairilit close to German one)
Honestly I would go for the first one but then I consider myself quite unexperienced. I would like to have an opinion from experts here to address me to a way ahead for this project.What i like about the first one is it will be more reliable and because it
What size battery would work best (especially for first option ) to full fill my commuting distance ?
Thanks for ur help
Alberto.

I see your dilemma. 33km and 400m climbing is not your typical easy commute. So it's likely the Mac is not the best possible choice. Just because the distance involved will put lots of wear on gears over several years use, at potentially 18,000km a year. But no reason you cannot try the Mac. It will do the job. Just maybe not quite as long lasting as a DD.

On the bright side, getting to work will be pretty easy.

I think you are on the right track looking to a direct drive. But your climb is not so hard that it will require a huge DD motor. Even the run of the mill 9 continent, muxus, etc type motors will work fine. These are the 28 mm wide magnet motors typically found in a "1000w kit". One of these with a 30 amps controller will breeze up that hill fine with you helping some on the pedals.

The big motor, it will be too wide to fit normal bikes, so more of a pain to put together than a normal motor.

Best choice? Likely a Crystalyte HS or HT motor, which has a wider magnet, but still fits a 135 mm dropout.

For your distance and climb, you will need a 48v 20 ah battery IMO. And charge it at the airport before you head for home. That's a bit oversize, but when the wind is in your face uphill all the way home, it will be undersize. Those days you will need to ride home slower.

Just in case you don't know. The law in Italy is that your bike has to comply with EN15194, which means 25km/h max and a 250w motor. The bike also can only go when your pedalling, so no independent throttle is allowed. You can have more, but then it requires registration.

Fully aware of that... Thanks x the heads up but I am also aware of the fact that with 250W in Italy u ain't goin nowhere. I think that making a wise use of e bikes avoiding high intensity traffic areas and keeping a low profile you can easily plan on a daily use. X example roads to work for me are very desert and traffic free

Well, you won't lose your pilot certificate for a hot ebike. :wink: That's what really matters, that one.

I assumed you knew your commute was going to take an illegal ebike. 250w, even with a mid drive, would mean a very slow crawl back home each day. Nothing wrong with that if your commute distance was shorter. But a long slow slog home after each workday, no thanks.

On low traffic roads, and still not going all that fast really, why not sneak it? Down, they expect you to zip it, and up it you won't be going fast enough to get the look. :shock: 70 kph and you would get the look. But you will be climbing that hill more like 25-30 kph or so.

Back