Wiring and connector upgrade...

icecube57

10 MW
Ok Im going to bite the bullet and replace all my heavy current wires and connectors. Im tired of having gendered plugs so im going to switch to andersons ..again. My question is the silicone coated wires are good because the insulation doesnt melt. Ive been noticing my phase wires have been heating. I wanted to replace them with 10G all the way to the Axel. But does this stop the stock wires in the axel from heating up or is this still a concern. I dont want them melting and fusing together. So I think i have to use some 14G silicone wire to reduce the chance of fusion. The wire will still heat under load... but the insulation wont melt away. Am I correct?!?

To answer the question better, we'd need to know the amperage and voltage you plan to run through the wires.

Often just replacing the wires on the controller to the motor, and controller to the battery helps a lot, and the very short section of stock wire left coming out of the hub doesn't get that hot, since the run is now so short.

Unless you are going to really high volts and amps. Then you get to scorch the whole motor, not just the wiring.

I run about 86v nominal @ about 45A but also reconsidering reprogramming to 30A. And I have a front motor so the run is kinda long. About 4+feet. The battery wires dont get hot its just the phase wires.

the phase wires have more current than the power wires, 2/3 of the time. i am surprised you have never run 14G into your motor through the axle since you seem to push harder than anyone. but none of yours has melted the connector yet? or melted through the insulation? shorter is better too. going from 18G to 14G stranded should give you 3.5-4X the conductivity and cutting the wire length in half would push that to 7-8 times.

I barely fit the wires for the temp probe in the axle. The axle hole is way small. Its so small that I had to rerun the wires through the axel 3-4 times because threading them through boogered up the insulation on the hall and phase wires. Thats why I havent upgraded them yet. I haven had any connector failures. But there is slight deformation. All insulation is still intact. But the wires phase wires are melting the freaking plastic cable wrap i have bundling my wiring harness. This only happens on the exposed phase wires in the stock cable... the stock cable its self appears to be completely intact without signs of wear. This heating only happens when I'm WOT throttle extended periods. Normally the air cooling keeps it in check for normal riding with short WOT burst of 20 secs or less.. But I would like to get something a little more beefy. I cant stay at WOT because of eventual motor heating but I would like to be able to do a solid 10-15 minutes without worrying about phase wires bonding to the hair on my leg or to each other. But I do ride in a conservative fashion only using peak power when needed like under accelerations or hills... the rest of the time its under 10A constantor limited speed around 20-30mph which equates to about 800-1000w on level ground... When i hang in the 40s to long thats where the problems are. The temps are dropping here in the south east so it might not be a problem this winter but i would like to get the parts together and do it in the ebike slow season.

Back