Motorized Bicycle racing in Tucson Arizona

tritonwow

100 W
Hey,
I'm in the area and saw this on Craigslist.... it looks like they don't care if it's gas or electric. I'd like to see some ICE boys cry.

http://sierravista.craigslist.org/bik/1650538637.html

Anyhow, I couldn't take it and bought another bike today (even though I'm 8000 miles from home) and thought I'd give a friction drive setup a try. Maybe I can get it done in time for the race (if school doesn't interfere!)

Triton

Hmmm. I wonder if a 27 mph bike could win it? Too bad the Doc is too far away. All I have is 48v.

Hmm... It's a 13hr drive away from Methods in Livermore CA. I also happen to be a 13hr drive from Methods in Seattle WA. Hmm...

I drive 13hrs to Methy, throw both our bikes in his car, he drives 13hrs with me snoreing in his car, we have a ball racing all day, meet Dogman, and drive back home. :)

Ypedal said:
:D .. bring digicams !!! that would be a hoot !
I'm going to try and be there and I have a 10MP point n shoot (HD video capable) and a GoPro helmet cam (standard wide lens version).
liveforphysics said:
Hmm... It's a 13hr drive away from Methods in Livermore CA. I also happen to be a 13hr drive from Methods in Seattle WA. Hmm...

I drive 13hrs to Methy, throw both our bikes in his car, he drives 13hrs with me snoreing in his car, we have a ball racing all day, meet Dogman, and drive back home. :)
I'm in an "extended stay" three bedroom condo and signed a bunch o documents about visitors. I think I could get away with putting up a few people for a night or two. Unfortunately, I'm another +/- hour the other side of Tucson. I'll really need to check my school schedule next week to see what kind of workload I'll have at that time so more to follow.

Also, it seems based on advertisements and road sightings most of the motorized bikes are the small Chinese "in the frame" gas types.

These guys are flying! ~50mph
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-clBw9OujzU[/youtube]

~30mph was able to secure 3rd place on the track:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYN7WiwuRXg

Last but not least, here's a little behind the scenes death race training footage :lol:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFkiUPDGusk

doc007 said:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-clBw9OujzU[/youtube]

~30mph was able to secure 3rd place on the track:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYN7WiwuRXg

Last but not least, here's a little behind the scenes death race training footage :lol:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFkiUPDGusk

Wow. Luke's bike would easily secure first place. Great acceleration + great top speed = win. With gas bikes, you usually have one or the other, but not both (relative to competitors with identical equipment).

What about a gas bike with electric for acceleration? Beat them off the line and out of corners and make them choke on 2 stroke smoke while you do it. :lol:

I don't think CrazyBike2 would win any races for speed the way it is now, but maybe next time they do it it could. ;) Then LFP can pick up Methods, they can take a pickup truck to Phoenix, take me and CB2 (or whatever replaces it by then) down there, and we can have fun skidding it around all the tight curves. ;)

Without the cargo pods on it it might even make a 90-degree turn without scraping at >16MPH. :lol:

(I know it is stable at least in a relatively straght line at up to 40MPH, downhill on a road, so if turns can be controlled, and it isn't a lead-sled anymore....)

I'm not brave enough at speed to be a good racer, but I'd be willing to try.

amberwolf said:
I don't think CrazyBike2 would win any races for speed the way it is now, but maybe next time they do it it could. ;) Then LFP can pick up Methods, they can take a pickup truck to Phoenix, take me and CB2 (or whatever replaces it by then) down there, and we can have fun skidding it around all the tight curves. ;)

Without the cargo pods on it it might even make a 90-degree turn without scraping at >16MPH. :lol:

(I know it is stable at least in a relatively straght line at up to 40MPH, downhill on a road, so if turns can be controlled, and it isn't a lead-sled anymore....)

I'm not brave enough at speed to be a good racer, but I'd be willing to try.

Now that would be a sight. CB2 blowing by ICE bikes. The looks on their faces would be worth the trouble of getting it there.

I'm thinking of doing the delta/wye mod on both my motors to get a passing gear and for a few long straight sections of my ride where a bit more speed would be nice. No way it would be ready for that race or I would seriously consider going.

Gary

doc007 said:

I can tell you for sure they aren't genuinely doing 50mph without
a BIG mofo hill. My brother and I worked the hell out of his
HT 49cc ported polished, tuned pipe, shift kit and it struggles to hit 55 KILOMETRES an hour
My old 1000watt trike crapped all over it for acceleration and top speed
Luke and Methy would lap these clowns in a 3 lap race the 2 stroke
china gurl motors are the most gutless motor i have ever seen.
Unless someone rocked up on a bicycle with a 47cc 10hp pocket bike motor
there would be no competition for the e-bike.

Hrmmmz...i wonder how far Mr Recumpence SiR is from here, he could give the
2 stroke racing karts a run while hes there ... :mrgreen:

KiM

Well, I guess a stock ebikekit would get beat like a dog by those gassers. Or by Methy or LFP! Be a good excuse to drive to Tuscon though and meet some spehericals. Tempting to ride the ebike to it.

dogman said:
Or by Methy or LFP!

I should correct my previous 'statement' ...Methy would be 'up' there with Luke for ~half a lap till his frock motor overheated and ended in a molten pile of cheap coke can alloy that it resembled before being poured into the equally cheap mould it was poorly created in before we heard the endless excuses how bad ass he was and the frock was while it was going :?

KiM

AussieJester said:
dogman said:
Or by Methy or LFP!

I should correct my previous 'statement' ...Methy would be 'up' there with Luke for ~half a lap till his frock motor overheated and ended in a molten pile of cheap coke can alloy that it resembled before being poured into the equally cheap mould it was poorly created in before we heard the endless excuses how bad ass he was and the frock was while it was going :?

KiM

LOL!

In a tight curvy circuit, handling+rider seems to be king over accel and top speed and all that. At least in karting that's always how it goes. Kart tracks are extremely smooth asphalt. This means the 8" of suspension on my bike would really be burden.

I'm thinking the best bike I've seen on this forum for the job would be Matt's twin motor PK ripper BMX build.

I think I could throw together a very light RC motor'd BMS build for this event, or even Arlo1's 10,000w BMX would also be a great bike for kicking some 50cc butt.

It seems like a whole lot of fun, too bad when I talked to Methy about it, he said he can't get the time to do it. :(

AussieJester said:
if they were smart though they would quickly schedule in a 50 lap race :mrgreen:
KiM
Of course this would permit pit stops to gas up... and swap packs
:mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Lock

Lock said:
AussieJester said:
if they were smart though they would quickly schedule in a 50 lap race :mrgreen:
KiM
Of course this would permit pit stops to gas up... and swap packs
:mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Lock

Why? they would do 50 laps on a tank lecky be flat in half that.

KiM

EDIT: hahahah just had mental image of some of the guys here changing packs...:: they pull into pits::
"quick quick quick, whos got the scissors to cut this frocking duct tape off so i can change my pack" :? :: 15 minutes later::
"shit!?!?! cut the bms wires on ma ping, whos got a soldering iron?"

AussieJester said:
Why? they would do 50 laps on a tank lecky be flat in half that.
Sorry... don't know anything about gassers
:mrgreen:

EDIT: hahahah just had mental image of some of the guys here changing packs...:: they pull into pits::
"quick quick quick, whos got the scissors to cut this frocking duct tape off so i can change my pack" :? :: 15 minutes later::
"shit!?!?! cut the bms wires on ma ping, whos got a soldering iron?"
hehe
Lock

Ok, Ok, I realize my frock motor would be a joke there. But I've blown away every gasser I ever saw locally. They seem to top out at about 20 mph, unmodified for racing and put on the bike by some nerd. So for a few minuites I did think even a stock kit might blow them away. My current frock motor at 48v still goes 27 mph, including huge panniers full of groceries and coat a flappin.

Anyway, I think I'll be there though I may not enter the race since all I have is lame 48v. If anybody else is coming, they might want to consider making a week of it, since the Tour de Gila bike race starts the following wednesday. Some very nice roads along the race route for E touring. Supposing you have any interest in lycra races or mountian riding. The race is in Silver City NM, and accomodation is being offered at my place in Las Cruces for one or two people for the days between the two races. I'm planning to make it to at least 2 or 3 stages. Race info on the web.

Changing batteries would take like two seconds, but keeping an overvolted motor from melting down would be a big problem in a long race. Why would you want to undo the duct tape? But I do agree, Ebikes would likely need thier own class of racing to compete well. You can pack a lot of power into a small package with gasoline.

Looking at the video, hard to tell what their top speeds really are, but a few seem a bit slow.... And quite a few can't corner for shit and have no balls at all. Hmmm. Have to see how fast my aotema can go with a bit of shunt solder... 30 for sure, and with the front wheel drive making it corner nice.... hmmm. I'll settle for not coming in last. Cornering I can do. Or could anyway. I did lots of gravity racing.

Edit Looking closely at that video, I never saw much more than 30 mph on the speedo in the helmet cam shots. That guy didn't win though.

I'd say definitely winnable by a guy with a 5303 and 60v.

Back