MotoPed Santa Cruz

nikos7

10 W
interesting take on a jack-shaft ICE powered bike...

http://www.motopeds.com/

This would make a great electric conversion. I don't know what power levels the jackshaft would take while still lasting, but...

having the jackshaft already as part of the swingarm pivot automatically creates a big gear-down stage for the electric motor. Add a belt/pulleys from the motor to the jackshaft, then change the sprockets on the jackshaft to the rear wheel...sweet!

For the electric conversions it would be simple as buying the chasis

kit.jpg

The 12kw outrunner Hal has is perfect for this, add the lipo and your
have a nice STRONG downhill bike!

KiM

All it needs now is a transmission for the under 12kw motors...2-speed perhaps... :)

nikos7 said:
All it needs now is a transmission for the under 12kw motors...2-speed perhaps... :)

You could get the necessary reduction with the jackshaft sprockets/rear cog to use the smaller rc motors
I think. Couple of big ass Turnigys would make it piss along at a fair rate to, the 12kw outrunner
though IMO is the logical choice :mrgreen:

KiM

the way the frame is configured, there's lots of room for big motors and tons of LiPo... :twisted:

Drunkskunk said:
why use just 1 12k motor on a frame like that? :twisted:

Tiz all that would be needed IMO...for off road you wouldn't need any more power
if you were to set it up with slicks sure but then why stop at 2 12kw motors :mrgreen:

KiM

to be honest although that bike looks great, those crf50 (whether genuine or chinese copys) are all pretty soft. I have bent, and have seen several of them bend under not so high duty, while having far less length in the forks and swing arm(leverage). If you were serious about doing a convertion with this style of frame i would purchase a ebay china frame (which is almost identical to that) and alloy extended swing arm.....and make changes from that. It would cost litterally 1/8th of the price listed, for frame and swing arm, while still needing changes yes, but it would need significant ability to mount battery and motor anyway so I would assume changing the frame would be just a formality. I myself am going another route....being I will create a whole frame and swing arm from 20mm round steel, in twin spar style, which will weigh (by length of material needed) around 15-16KGs plus mounts for motor, shock swingarm, and battery. Of course there is still wheels, forks, shock, battery, motors, chain etc etc etc.....it all adds up...

oh another problem with them frames is weight, it always stunned me that they weigh so much yet still have obvious weak spots....inherant of frames that are not cradleing/triangulating. Sorry didnt want to turn anyone off this kind of project, but just point out some things i have already put deap thought into. For those interested look at http://www.fxbikes.com/ and http://www.projectm85.com/ for more ideas.

cheers
rodger

The Chinese pit bikes look smaller? than this setup they also dont have the crankshaft setup for pedals so it would be a case of the builder needing to fabricate to have a motored bicycle. This 'off the shelf' option allows less skilled individuals or those with no access to equipment to buy and build.. There is quite a few pitbike electric conversions floating about on ES now, they don't look alot like this bike though IMO. Would like to see one of the power hungry members here grab one of these frames deck it out with lipos and outrunners though, set of slicks and hit the go kart track ...Thud? Luke? Dogman even!!! this could be your step to the darkside :mrgreen:

KiM

AussieJester said:
The Chinese pit bikes look smaller?
well yeah they are smaller....not really though. the only dimensional difference talking in motorbike terms, between the frame made? by this company and this one....http://cgi.ebay.com.au/BIKE-FRAME-L...orcycle_Parts_Accessories?hash=item2a05025184(being a stock crf50 style frame) is the +2.5 or +3 inch stretch between the headstem and the first tank mount. This is refered to a big boys frame in pitbike world....if your taller than 150cms ull need atleast this to stop you hitting your knees on your bmx barkit on your little crf. 2ndly the swing arm looks like a stretched out version of a five-0/Sano swinger(very expensive) But since your cutting it anyway a cheap china one again will do the job.
DSCF9026-2.jpg

Appart from that bullshit yes, there is a little fabrication in the pedalling but seriously, would you? like i know it has to be legal and everything but making something that looks like a mx bike then sticking pedals on it, i think it just makes you a target. If your keen and want to try and get away with pedals on something just for looks then hell yeah i cant think of anything that looks better, but if you want to ride it for what its designed to do then piss the bloody pedals off, steer clear of roads and get that thing dirty. To which extent i believe yes if u got the cash and u dont have the skills then buying is the best method, but i believe you could do something 'similar' for far cheaper. Oh and i can definitly say id bend that frame in under half an hour....ill have a look around for some of my pics of bent and cracked pitbike frames for you kim.

rodgah said:
i believe you could do something 'similar' for far cheaper.

Of course, theres less than 100 bucks in material but thats if you have the
ability to do it. When you checkout MTB frames they range from couple hundred bucks to 4k so 1300 for this isn't to bad for those without the option to fabricate themselves :) I seen the Chinese pitikes ridden my mates few times they are rubbish aren't they haha.

KiM

Interesting concept, but the execution could be a bit better. Downtubes, stiffer forks, and sizable brakes would be my first concern. Beyond that it would be a great bike to ride, and would allow the rider to pedal places where motors can't be used.

In my opinion, the bike would be better served with foot pegs and an electric motor for the low end grunt. But, then it wouldn't be a moped anymore. I am in process of redoing my pitbike to a big bike, but keeping the 50cc so I can ride around with no tags. It has been a very stable daily driver, and I want to have it finished as my fallback. My next project is a two stroke 50cc / astro 3220/ pedal power rig.

Attachments

• mock up.JPG
    mock up.JPG
    58.7 KB · Views: 10,774
I for one really like the motoped design. The frame itself is 4130 Chromoly so it appears quite strong. Using regular bike parts will keep it light. I want something nimble in the trails and this looks great for that. 8” front and rear suspension should allow for some nice jumps. It’s a clean and simple design. Basically a solid DH frame without the limits of battery and motor size restriction. I hope they provided rear derailleur mounts. Keep it light and what it was designed to do and you have yourself one awesome ebike for the trails. Make it too heavy, and you might as well get a pitbike instead.

doc007 said:
Frame, Swing Arm, and Rear Shock = $870

Frame and Swing Arm = $770

...can't wait to see someone incorporate this frame into their e-bike build!

I wonder how much HAL(Greyborg) charges for his frames?

Where did you got these price info?

770$ for that is interesting to me since i already thave the manitou..

Doc

Darn, Motopeds use to sell the parts separately. Maybe they still do if you contact them. Looks like they just have the whole bike minus engine and fork now.

Doctorbass said:
doc007 said:
Frame, Swing Arm, and Rear Shock = $870

Frame and Swing Arm = $770

...can't wait to see someone incorporate this frame into their e-bike build!

I wonder how much HAL(Greyborg) charges for his frames?

Where did you got these price info?

770$ for that is interesting to me since i already thave the manitou..

Doc
[pre][/pre]

The first 1/4 (no motor on section) of video shows that it is indeed possible to build a motored capable downhill e-bike. This frame along with high powered rc motor and lipos would be lighter than with the ICE setup...and more powerful...will someone here hurry up and buy one of these and electrify it for our viewing pleasure...!!

KiM

You first. I still have to finish a build I'm in the middle of. Would all be fairly pricey after adding all of the necessary components. But it sure looks great!

Hi,

I wonder why all the ice bike video's replace the audio with music :p :lol: …

Are these earlier models by the same people or something different? $500 for a frame seems like a good price:
http://www.motoredbikes.com/showthread.php?t=15592
09-27-2008
Pipelyne's Full Suspension 6.4hp Morini Motor Bicycle "In Progress".…
I thought I'd share with you guys and gals what's cooking at Pipelyne Manufacturing. It's our Proto-type full suspension bike.

Pipelyne Manufacturing has been making tuned pipes from scooters, rc cars and motorcycles for decades. It's also know as Santa Cruz Scooter Works which produces the Boxer scooter and the Extreme Strider.…
Pipelyne is in San Jose
385 Lincoln Blvd
(408) 279-2307

04-24-2009
We just got 5 frames back from the power coater today. Pipelyne is selling complete bikes with a 5.8 morini for around $1900. I think a raw frame will be sold for $500

04-26-2009
We sold all 5 bikes already but plan on making more. Here's a quick peek at the first production bicycle.
attachment.php

attachment.php

Picture006-1.jpg

Used full bike with ice for sale (as of 6-05-2010):
http://www.motoredbikes.com/showpost.php?p=276840&postcount=47
Anyone interested--mine's for sale p.m.

[youtube]PYEtCbGeMmI[/youtube]

wow i feel sorry for the auto clutch pads in that video. I still think the motoped is asking for trouble, because it looks too much like a dirtbike. Its like driving a car with no bonnet and doors and saying its still legal because your brake lights work. I too like the idea but I know it would be too tempting for me to ride it down through town instead of keeping it to where its designed to be(in the bush). I think if you want to ride on the road then adapt a DH bike (or copy its frame shape and form), if you want a elec dirtbike then definitly make your own frame because im sure you could make something lighter than what the motoped is, and forget about pedals. Of course there are the people that cant make a frame for themselves, in that case im not sure what the answer is.

Rodger

Back