New E-bike Build

Hi Guys,

This is my first post, My name is Mark. I have been looking around this wonderful site for a long time now.

I built my first bike using a conhismotor 1kw motor and a very bad VPower 48 volt 20 amp, more like 15 amps and 15kgs weight, But the motor was very good, not much torque but on level ground I could go up to 30mph. I sold it to a friend who uses it regularly, of course I told him the battery was only 15amp and took a fair loss on it!

I then built my 2nd bike using a Golden Motor Magic Pie. I removed the internal controller and rewired it and use a Infenion 48 volt 40 amp from ebikes.ca and I can tell you the torque is absolutely amazing, and everyone who takes a spin on it is amazed, there is no hill it couldn't climb and the acceleration is amazing too! Before I killed the internal controller I modded it and pulled over 80 amps on take off, the first time I pulled the throttle with the mod, it threw the front wheel straight in the air and me off the bike. It really is an incredible motor, even at 40 amps, no matter how much I abused it it never gets hot, just barely luke warm! I now have 750 miles on it and it's still perfect! It's very efficient also, at crusing speed on level ground it only uses about 700-800 watts @24mph. Peak draw I say was 2200 Watts!The ping battery is really good and all the cells balance perfectly every time even after all the abuse I have given it! Ping himself is absolutely a gem to deal with!

Sorry for going on a bit lol

A friend of mine has asked me to build him a bike and he doesn't want the power I have, he wants it mainly for going out for his cycles for a decent amount of power on hills. 15-20 MPH on level ground will be fine for him he says!

I am having a hard time coming up with a decent cheap enough solution for him.

I was looking at the BMC V 2 Torque, But I wonder will it be too slow. I was thinking of either a 36 or 48 volt 10 amp LiFeP04? another Ping I suppose. He wants it to pull him up steep hills at decent speeds, nothing crazy maybe 10mph. I think the direct drives will not be suitable because he wants to do a fair bit of peddling himself, I don't think he would be happy with the cogging? It's certainly a b***h to peddle on anything but level ground with the magic pie! Even the smaller 1kw conhismotor was tough!

I was wondering if there is cheaper geared motors than BMC? Also does anyone know of any decent motor suppliers here in Europe? They are impossible to find here, and shipping is expensive!

Any advice will be welcome!

Mark

Welcome Mark!

I can't speak to the availability in Europe, but I know that in my own experience, the 9c 9 X 7 DD hub motor with a good 48V LiFeP04 battery (ping would work just fine, 15AH +) will climb an 8% hill no pedaling at all at 12 MPH with a rider weighing 180 lbs! This is with a no-pedal start, dead stop, no flat to start on, right up the hill, and no heat what so ever.

This was with the stock 30A controller (Amped Bikes Kit) and if I wanted a simple reliable hill climber that was pretty much plug & play, that would be it. Amped Bikes also sells a LiPo battery (36V 10AH) that would probably perform the hill climb just as well since LiPo can really dump amps, just slower speed.

At that voltage it never complained in the least, no noticeable coging (had friends try it that ride regular bikes only) just the added weight, about 30lbs for everything (Motor Kit, battery, ETC).

Hope that helps. :)

I think given the task you are set, ie, clean freewheeling with no/minimal drag, light weight, ability to go up hills, and running on 36/48V, your suggested choice is a good one.

I have never used a BMC V2, but I own a BMC V3 (1000W), and it flys on 48V, and is quick on 36V. I run it on both 36 or 48V on a BMC controller @ 40amps, and it will do up to about 40 k/ph on flats on 36V and up to about 50 kph on 48V (this is the V3 though, but you said your mate isn't interested much in speed). I have it installed on a recumbent tadpole trike, and I weigh about 90-95Kg. It will go up any hill, but where I live is relatively flat having said that.

But comparing my BMC V3 to my X5, and my mates 9C, the freewheeling is incomparable. The BMC (when no throttle is used) almost rides like a normal bike, just slightly more heavy.

Downsides to the BMC will be that he will need to potentially maintain the gears over time, but having said that if it is run at 36V this will probably not even be an issue. Other issue is you don't want to mount gutters with a geared hub under power. But if he just wants a light hub that allows freewheeling I think you are on the money with your choice of a BMC V2. A cheaper version of the BMC is the MAC.

Cheers, Phil.

I got one from Ilia, but it is V2 speed not torque. I used it maybe for around 500km max so pretty new. It is faster than V2 T, a bit less torque but I can still climb 10% hills pedal assisted with reasonable speed - no issues. I live in Luxembourg, so it is very hilly here ;)
It is quiet and efficient. I have been using it with a limit of 900W according to Ilia rule! And it is enough if you are looking for a motor assisted bicycle and not a motorbike.

Ilia has been really great with the service! And he knows all about those BMC motors.
I don't remember how much i paid for shipping to Europe though but you can drop him a line: http://ebikessf.com/catalog

Thanks for the replies.

I spoke to IIia, he recommends the V2 speed! So I think that will be the best option al right wojtek.

so Now it depends on if my friend is willing to pay for the BMC kit when he comes round next week!

Mark

Hi Mark,

You can buy a MAC motor from Cell_Man and many of US are using them. Even if you change the gears for BMC gears (green one) this motor is cheaper then any BMC motor, with a Lyen 12 Fets controller and you are in business.

Mark_AW use a MAC, 1000 Watt is using it also, both bikes are powerfull with a top speed over 50 Kp/h.

Hope its help, good day!
Black Arrow

Mark,

Add customs duties to the prices when shipped from US to Europe. I got the BMC V2 T from Ilia at ebikessf.com (great service, love the motor) and had it shipped to Germany. German customs charged 19.5% + 4.5% import duty. They calculate the duty on the purchase price on your receipt. Just my experience, other countries may differ.

--Antti

antarctic74 said:
Mark,

Add customs duties to the prices when shipped from US to Europe. I got the BMC V2 T from Ilia at ebikessf.com (great service, love the motor) and had it shipped to Germany. German customs charged 19.5% + 4.5% import duty. They calculate the duty on the purchase price on your receipt. Just my experience, other countries may differ.

--Antti

yes I think it is definitely worth paying extra bucks for BMC one.. I actually don't remember paying taxes for the motor kit - Ilia sent it via USPS so less likely to be stung by customs. I live in Luxembourg.. You might want to talk to him about the value of the parcel - maybe he can lower it.. Not sure if the German authorities require payment proof to prove the value of this purchase. But you could always pay in 2 instalments and show the just one of them.
Ilia is great - he could be the role model for best customer service...

Where are you / your friend based?

wojtek said:
antarctic74 said:
Mark,

--Antti

yes I think it is definitely worth paying extra bucks for BMC one.. I actually don't remember paying taxes for the motor kit - Ilia sent it via USPS so less likely to be stung by customs. I live in Luxembourg.. You might want to talk to him about the value of the parcel - maybe he can lower it.. Not sure if the German authorities require payment proof to prove the value of this purchase. But you could always pay in 2 instalments and show the just one of them.
Ilia is great - he could be the role model for best customer service...

Where are you / your friend based?

Thanks for all the replies guys,

I live in Ireland and I must say it's impossible to get anything E-bike related here! You can get legal boring complete bikes, but we all know they are no fun and expensive for what you get!

I must admit the MAC motor is priced amazingly low compared to the BMC, and im sure if it's run at around 500 watts, Ger probably won't have problems with broken gears.

I know BMC gears are probably much better than mac, but I know mac have much better gears on the way and I might wait until cell man has the new ones! I really couldn't ignore the price of those motors and thanks Black Arrow for telling me about him. Unfortunately Ger is on a budget and if the mac proves a good motor, well really, I would have saved him the price of a battery.

IIila is very helpful indeed, but even though he sells his motors at a good price they are still a lot more expensive than the mac! But at the end of the day it comes down to what can be afforded at the time! I will give Ger the options and let him decide. If he decides to order I may even decide to buy one myself. I really want a motor that free wheels even though I love my magic pie it's a BI**H to pedal. And for me I would love the option of about 30 mph instead of 24 ish max with the pie! But boy does it have tonnes of torque!!!

One other question, would my 40 amp infenion from ebikes.ca drive the BMC or MAC? And what would be the best controller for Ger to get. I don't want to sped money on another controller!

Hi,

Cell-man use is MAC motor at 1600 Watts (max output) every days and I does 30 Km each days, not bad at all for 500 Watts motor.

After many conversations with Ilia he recommends to use the BMC V2S 600 Watts at 1200 Watts max and closer to 1000 watts for hot summer days.

Is the main reason why I'm choosing a MAC instead of a BMC, many MAC users has no problem using their motor at 2000 Watts. Also with MAC you can choose a 12 Fets controller from Lyen and it's done!

With a BMC motor you also need a BMC controller for smooth operation, at the end a MAC motor even with BMC V3 clutch still cheaper, can handle more watts and you will have the same reliability as BMC motor for less!.

Good day!
Black Arrow

what makes MAC go at 2000W and BMC at 1200W only?

How is MAC better suited for higher W, taking that BMC is overall better quality?

wojtek said:
what makes MAC go at 2000W and BMC at 1200W only?

How is MAC better suited for higher W, taking that BMC is overall better quality?

Short answer the windings, quality for quality both motor remain closer the same if you change the MAC clutch for a BMC V3 clutch it will fit right trough without any modifications, like Mark_AW as already done and the new MAC gears seem promising for this motor.

Interesting can be seeing here :

http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=22103&hilit=bmc+vs+mac

Good day!
Black Arrow

Back