Great Lipo backpack

Spacey

100 kW
I found this great backpack for putting Lipo in, has lots of protection and is small. Hopefully it will fit 4 x 5.8Ah 8 Cell longpacks in.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=24290

Not sure I like the idea of Lipo in a backpack, no matter how much protection.
The more enclosed it is the more advanced the problem before you notice.
Hot melty ABS on my back....No Thanks
But if you are prepared to risk it it looks like it would protect them from impact but remember impact isn't the only to cause a fire. Shorts and vibration damage are also quite capable of creating fire or heat.

Ricky_nz said:
Not sure I like the idea of Lipo in a backpack, no matter how much protection.
The more enclosed it is the more advanced the problem before you notice.
Hot melty ABS on my back....No Thanks
But if you are prepared to risk it it looks like it would protect them from impact but remember impact isn't the only to cause a fire. Shorts and vibration damage are also quite capable of creating fire or heat.

I actually said the same thing about Lyen having Lipo in a backpack, but I think for me it makes more sense.

Having them on the bike frame would have more vibrations from road as my body would act as suspension, also I don't like the idea of leaving my bike parked up when I go to the shops with Lipo on it for all to see and touch.

Charging would be a lot easier as I can just bring the bag in the house rather than the whole bike and the bike might handle a bit better.

I thought about this as i have agonized over battery mounting since i first got into this ebike business. Girlfriend said i'd look like a terrorist with the batteries in my backpack.. hate to say it but i agree, lol..

I'm using my old PC Laptop backpack for LIPO and it works great. It is already setup to support the older relatively heavy laptops of the early 2000s. When I end up getting all my batteries I plan on building them into a Laptop Shape so that they fit the space perfectly.

As for the Terrorist fears many people run around with their laptop pc's in bags so it will probably pass if it's shaped like a laptop and the wires are hidden. Praise to Allah! :D

The lap top bag sounds interesting size wise nice and thin ( to put in frame triangle ) yet I thing you could get a 2" wide 6s in there, maybe slip in some aluminum plates on both sides and insulate with nomex cloth or use Lipo sacks?, but I have no idea how effective this would be over all. Where do you have it on your the bike?

I too am wondering whats the best combination of impact, shock absorbing and fire proof materials for a lipo container.
and then how much of a vent is needed?

I have only seen the demo videos and they seem to light up small lipo bricks but what is going to help control a fire with 2 , 3 , 4 6s 5ha bricks? I like to here some thoughts on this.

Has any body here come up with a good light weight solution for lipo boxes that offer shock resistance, crash protection and fire mitigation.

I'd rather have Lipo explode on my back than between my legs. :shock: Lipo can only catch fire while discharging if there's a short, right? Scary thought if at speed and in traffic. A Lipo bag and some sort of vent designed to expel the gas away from the rider could probably help limit injuries in a worse case scenario.

I have my battery in pannier for taking into places to charge or avoid theft. Also worked great when I got hit by a car, because the battery was expelled from the bike and the Andersons disconnected so nothing shorted even though most the motor wires became exposed. Could use this idea to have Lipo mounted in such a way that excessive heat would cause it to fall off the bike.

Thats an expensive backpack just to carry lipos in, I've carried extra lipos in my cheapie backpack before on long rides. I'm not too worried about catching on fire.

Well generally lipos don't catch fire unless abused. The only instance i have seen them catch fire when NOT not under abuse is if you had a dud that had an very rare internal short ( this would have shown up through a couple charge cycles ).

Make sure the cells are not punctured or vastly deformed and you will have no problem doing the backpack thing.
Actually, that is sort of a cool way to carry your batteries IMHO. It would make parking your bike in public ( theft concerns ) less of an issue.

Here in Hawaii you don't need a motor cycle helmet and I see lots of guys on Harley's flying down the road with out them.
And no matter how good of a rider you are the fact is a lot of things on the road are out of your control !

Its up to every one to decide how much risk you want to take on of course. But having the lipos strapped to your body? I guess in the wost case scenario its hard to eliminate all risks with them, but lets say you get thrown off and land on your back, whacking the lipos and you also get a slight concussion and well, you get the picture. It unlikely yes, but it is a possible series of unfortunate events.

Actually lipos would be great for breaking your fall, lol..
If you are going over 20mph you really should be wearing a helmet..

Falling backwards is less of a problem than flying forwards or off to the side.. unless you're running over 4000 watts and you got a wheelie machine :)

bigisland said:
But having the lipos strapped to your body? I guess in the wost case scenario its hard to eliminate all risks with them, but lets say you get thrown off and land on your back, whacking the lipos and you also get a slight concussion and well, you get the picture. It unlikely yes, but it is a possible series of unfortunate events.

Here is a guy who dropped his lipo pack off the back of his bike and it got ran over by a car.

http://endless-sphere.com/forums/vi...805&p=387312&hilit=+lipo+run+over+car#p387312

design a slide on, slide off mechanism for the LIPO.

This can be done with the Topeak website.

If you got some kind of small box and screwed this Fixer 6 on it....it will make a slide on and off mechanism for your LIPO. All you do is push the button and slide it off whenever you get to your destination. You'll need some kind of metal or plastic box to screw it on to. As long as the weight of the LIPO is not too much , it should work fine.
http://www.topeak.com/products/Xtras/Fixer6

It's a slider and it works on the topeak explorer rack and a few others.

Slides on to this kind of rack...it's a topeak Explorer

I just finished with my first Notebook Sized Battery Pack. 12S 18ah of Zippy Lipo plus LVC and charging connector stuffed into an 11 1/2"x 12"x2 1/4" space. Batteries are held in place by velcro and zip ties. I built the battery tray out of a piece of 14 gauge aluminum sheet and bent 2” wide sides and welded on a 2” wide bottom so that the row of batteries wouldn't be disturbed by gravity. I thought about putting a cover on the front of the pack, but the notebook compartment in the backpack does a good job of covering the whole battery.

Total Battery weight is around 12 to 14lbs on my bathroom scale. For this many pounds I'm using a backpack with a waist belt to keep the batteries’ weight on my hips rather than my back and shoulders.

BPBattery.jpg

BPBatt2.jpg

^---- Damnit.. which wire do i clip... we only have 2 minutes left.. otherwise the whole place blows.. :mrgreen:

Anyone been using backpacks for a long time now? I noticed here on another thread people try it and give up on them.

My dilema is I have 12s 1 p in mounted to the bike for 99% of my rides, but want an easy addable 12s2p that won't leave mounting bits and pieces when I don't need it. I am thinking of trying

http://www.pushys.com.au/evoc-fr-enduro-16l-backpack-black-medium-large.html?gclid=CPnaq8HezrsCFUJZpQod2S8ArQ

because it has integrated back protection in it. It's pretty expensive, but my back is priceless.
liteshield_technology.jpg

fr_backpart_big.jpg

I've never done the powered/tethered backpack thing but I often carry range extending packs in a backpack. Fortunately, my bike mount (utility/gear/tool/camera bag) is easy to swap packs so I merely carry extra brick(s) and swap them at a good time for a break.

Even though in winter I use a tethered heated vest, I can't recall how often I forget and walk away. Not a big deal since I'm using properly crimped APP's and strong flexible wire needing to only carry around 12V@5A so it breaks away easy enough. 60V@30A wiring? Hmm....

I do the same as Ykick and only carry extra lipos in my back pack on rare occasion for that extra long ride.... :oops:
What about a camel back ?

neptronix said:
^---- Damnit.. which wire do i clip... we only have 2 minutes left.. otherwise the whole place blows.. :mrgreen:

I know. Hopefully "Boise ID USA", wherever it is, has bomb squad on stand by at all times :)

I've been on the fence also about trying backpack. Below is backpack that I was going to try. I've seen this mentioned in another thread somewhere. It's nice because it's a hard case so protect the batteries if you fall. I might just try with a laptop bag before spending this much money. It is a lot of weight to carry on back with the batteries included.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home/search?N=0&InitialSearch=yes&InitialSearch=yes&sts=ma&Top+Nav-Search&Ntt=Pb-3500e

I found it easy to just carry up to 500 wh of range extender in a handlebar bag. Line the bag with something stiff, so you don't beat holes in your packs on the head tube. Mostly, I don't bother with running a wire to the bag, I just swap packs when I need to.

90% of the time, the bag is nearly empty. It carries a pump, and when I get to the trails where I can let her off, the dog leash.

Commuting, I never liked carrying extra whatever in a back pack. But I found I liked using a messenger bag fine. In my climate, the back pack made me sweat way too much, but the messenger bag rode lower and could be shifted around when my hip got sweaty. Trail riding, I want no backpacks. Just like skiing, just because I could ski with a heavy pack did not mean I liked it better than a light fanny pack or nothing. At most, a bottle in a riding jersey on the trail.

Today, I put some lipos in my laptop backpack to test if I would like this approach. Let me just say that I really like it. The bike felt so light and nimble. This is going to be really good for the trails I think. However, I only had 4 Turnigy 6s 20c batteries (8 lbs) but shouldn't a problem adding a couple more. I'm going with this approach for riding on the trails. I'll probably go with one of the options above with a hard shell for the lipos.

Here is a pic of what I tested with:

I am going this route myself. I have a hard shell back pack and have ordered some springy coiled retractable 2 core cable that will run from a frame bag with controller in it into the back pack as a battery wire. The coiled battery cable will stretch 6 times its coiled length so it be tightly coiled between controller and back pack but will extend if I have a fall. I will have the lipos in separate 54v 3ah packs in parallel in lipo bags and will wedge them in the back pack with foam. I will also apply lipo bags in a zip pocket that lies against my back for extra time and protection if there is a chance of fire. Since each lipo pack is in individual lipo bags I see no problem with them potentially being able to rub together. I just have to eliminate movement.

Back