ebikes.ca inline connectors

Rifle

1 kW
Had the first break down of my new build. Thought these days were behind me :evil: . Couldn't figure it out in the mosquito infested dark, but have found that one of the hall sensor wires broke where it enters the small black connector. Is there anyway to get the old metal tip out so I can put a new one on the wire and put it back in the connector or am I going to have to snip the connector off and replace it with a whole new one?

I'm now realizing this happened before. I have only vague memories of it, but the wire that broke is definitely shorter than the others so I believe it broke before. I think last time though it had enough sticking out the I was able to use my needle + pliers technique to yank it out. I've given up and am going to replace the whole connection. Question now is: why does this wire keep breaking? The connection is held stationary against the bike and is never disconnected. I don't know that I'll ever have the answer, but I'll add some hot glue to the back of the connection and hopefully that will keep things from breaking.

I use 5 individual small gold spade connectors for hall sensors now, more reliable in the dirt than the original. Taped tight together with teflon for waterproofing, a ziptied loop keeps them from pulling off with full suspension travel.

It is probably breaking from vibration. If there is any of the wire length that can move at all, it can fatigue the wire (and since copper work-hardens, it does this pretty easily), whcih will then break off at the cracks. :(

I had the same thing happen to my almost new 9c. As you can see from the picture,
it was an inside wire so It wasn't from pulling on it. I have no idea why it broke.
P1000346.jpg

My buddy and I were able to get the pin out and re-solder it. It was quite the pain in
the but. Then of course a week latter I crushed my cord bundle coming out of the axle
and currently have the motor apart replacing Phase and Halls

Whenever I had to deal w/ this the first time it must have been like new since this is the first break down I've had since getting it fully up and running. Ended up having to redo the whole thing this time. Those little black connectors really are a pain in the ass to work w/. I really hope hot-gluing prevents this from happening in the future.

Back