My solar-assisted custom tricycle FOLLIES

ddk

100 kW
edit 4-21-13 over a years' gone by...
For those of you just looking, a gazillion pictures on the next 20 pages, some of them about the trikes and their development. (growing pains)
Other pictures about random stuffs.

edit 2-6-12
The trike is done (almost, but reliable/functional), the solar stuff worked fine, but I can't ride the trike as long as I used to, so the panels are now powering the workshop I built along the way- to the follies -
-the previous story starts here:

I was forced to admit to myself that I actually do need 2 tricycles for those times i does schtuppid human tricks featuring "me"
-having had more experience riding manufacture-built trikes of various types I determined that, while the Belize Tri-Rider Comfort Tricycle is an over-priced child's toy, after I made all my so-called improvements it eventually turned out to be the best-fitting tricycle for me. (run-on sentences is my special purpose in life)
As long as the handlebar stem doesn't get loose... it works really good, is very stable and can handle more weight than the manufacturer recommends.
...and it has excellent crash-resistance (unlike me)

of course there's also that bit where... I already know what steps needs to be stomped on to magically turn the tri-rider POS into the My Trike.

so we begins the bequine

ordering all the different stuffs needed to build wut I'd built before took a few minutes (as opposed to weeks of fretting and hairless hair-pulling over earth-shattering decisions involving "should I or shouldn't I use white or purple pom-pom streamers)

one difference
I chose to go the NuVinci route for the mid-drive motor because:
1. a place for a mid-drive comes with the "standard package" Belize whatever-it's-extraneously-long-name-is-that-includes-descriptors-about-every-working-part-of-the-tricycle. The 171B simply drops-in the mid-drive drop-outs.
2. it cost about the same as my previous single-speed mid-drive solution when all the little bits and welding costs are added together.
3. in my old age I pretty much HATE F*kCiNG derailleurs that you can never seem to shift the Same Way Twice
4. see 3
5. there is never a room for a "five" in my widdle world.

so the trike...
- this time from bikemania.biz ~600
- the NV drive from Staton-Inc. ~300
- 'nother mighty mite kit from highertekbikes ~400
- a stern talking-to to the Guy Who Does My Welding (thanking him for doing such good work) ~????~
- forks and stems from chubbiescruisers.com ~90
- front brake and 142mm crank from bicycledesigner.com ~60
already have 'removable' battery packs so the cost of building the My Trike #2 has cost me 1337 dollars, give or take a couple bucks ;)

edited for idiocies

the trike and 'extra' trike parts shipped yesterday
no word on the nuvinci yet
the mighty mite wheel was out of stock but is expected to ship this week
I should call, maybe...

the trike's drives will (w/luck) be as pictorial-ed

2ND MT DRIVE LINES.jpg

-bored off my a** waiting for my wounds to finish healing still.
Riding the MT trike #1 is no fun, not being able to pedal.
Its' front fork is pretty much bent out of shape as is the front hub motors' wheel rim

..so I'll ramble about nothing in particular.

To new readers the My Trike project took a few months and took a few detours to get a tricycle that suited me. (and my particular disabilities)
It's top speed with the front hub motor driven from a 23A controller and a 36V LiCo (LiPo) (whateveh) battery pack is exactly where my local laws demand... 20mph. This is what I deem to be "a good thing" since I'd rather ride the trike like an un-powered trike. That includes not having to pay attention to a Speed-0-meter while cruising the bike paths etc.
WOT (wide open throttle) will never be faster than the legal speed limit of 20mph on the flats.
Downhill don't count
To climb the taller mountain grades in my area I chose to use a Currie-type geared-brushed motor as a 'helper' motor.
It's top speed (set by gearing) is 8-ish mph. It drives the trikes' rear axle via a jackshaft.
All dollars spent on the My Trike (MT#1) was closely watched because I know you actually cannot build an electric bike cheaper than buying one, unless you can give your home-built-thingy a significant increase in performance.
Using two motors gives my built-thingy a significant increase in performance
I spent about 2300 dollars building the first My Trike that included all my errors in judgment. We pays for our errors.
Sans batteries the My Trike #2 is only a few hundred dollars cheaper than the My Trike #1, meaning I didn't make that many errors in judgment (except for the purple pom-pom streamers- THAT was a big mistake).
My Trike#1 needs sum fix'n before it's able to do long road trips again, (crashed it a few too many times) but since I no longer have a motor vehicle capable of travel I need to keep the My Trike (MT#1) operational enough to forage for sustenance, including tasty beverages.
I may or mayn't make the My Trike #2 (MT#2) my long-range trike because I'm unsure of the NuVinci hub thingy.
So once #2 is operational I'll get around to replacing the front fork and front rim on MT#1

I continue to chart my use of hobbyking LiPo batteries.
Early tests indicated it would be wise to never come close to more than a 50% discharge. In this way the individual cells remain in perfect balance.
I now only test the individual cell voltages about once every two weeks... no problems, no imbalances and I don't parallel the batteries at a cell-level... only from the discharge leads.
For long distance riding I have 45Ah @ 36V available for the front hub motor with an additional 10Ah for the Currie motor (My1018),
I'm considering adding the 10Ah batteries to the 45Ah packs (for 55Ah @36V) and only using one battery path for both motors, but I haven't gotten around to experimenting with that yet.

Some things I also do that most members of this forum advise against includes:
- using random automotive-type 20-30A rated spst and spdt switches for the battery pack outputs. No pre-charge crap because with a 23A controller (and I suspect, any of the higher-powered controllers) do not have enough input capacitance to cause enough short-term damage to a heavy-duty switch.
- Neutrik SpeakON connectors for battery pack discharge/bulk charge ports, because there is no pulling or pushing on the wiring and the connector includes a locking-type mechanism.
- using controller off/on switches because they make your life that much simpler... really.
- I like pedalec systems. With no damaged body tissue to deal with I pedal 100% of the time on my e-machines. If there is an operational pedalec system that means I don't have to use a throttle. Riding an e-powered trike/bike just like an un-powered trike/bike is a joy only I seem to in-joy.
- and maybe because I like to pedal I prefer un-sensored motor/controllers. My only experience is with newer versions of these systems and they work almost flawlessly. Smooth starts with even the slightest forward motion of the motored-wheel.
Un-sensored motor/controller systems have less chance of failure by a factor of 5 lil' wires and 3 crappy hall sensors.
...It's one of several reasons I still use brushed motors when I deem the brushed motor would provide a better solution.
- I prefer a battery pack with no bms. I wrote a bunch of reasons why but decided to retract them because this only really suits myself.

and if I ever have a failure (switches/batteries/motors/controllers) I'll let you know *knocks on wood*

...'nother day waiting for legs and elbows to heal and parts to come drifting in.
-No wurd from stanton-inc yet on shipping the nuvinci thingy
-no werd from highertekbikes on the motor/wheel kit.
-If I don't receive the belize POS today that means I won't receive it til next Friday, as DHL only ventures down the coast once per week (on Fridays)
-I does believe I might get at least one of the new bent-springer fork(s) today... that would give me sum tin to do this afternoon.

I received my 4mm bullets and balance-port extensions from HK yesterday and spent a couple of hours building my pack terminations today
The extensions don't use silicon wire and are fairly inflexible
OMG I HATE these 4mm bullet plugs... seating them into the plastic housing just.absolutely.sucks.salmonella-laced.eggs.
It's not warm enough or sunny enough to get them to seat properly in the crap-tastic plastic shell.
...maybe the fog will burn off later today
or maybe not

...Friday the 13th

the Belize appears out of nowheres (or from the side of a DHL truck)

the frame is now at the Village Smithy awaiting the BB mod
He promises it by Tuesday...

A quick email to staton and he replied the nuvinci ships in two-three days... I ordered it two-three days ago. Makes me wonder if I'd waited another 2-3 days I'd get the same response? *ponders*

silly-conned the terminal blocks since the sun wasn't out yet.
The sun cam out as soon as I was done.

6P2S terminal blocks.jpg

I procured one of those weller torch thingys for soldering duties because I couldn't keep my HF pencil torch lit with all the wind.
Not only is the weller stupidly hard to use, it also wouldn't stay lit.
-my suggestion is buy the HF torch for a 1.99 and save yourself 20.00 (weller was 22.00)
30w RS HF pencil and Weller.jpg

Unlike the first Belize pOS I'd purchased, this one came with properly adjusted headset and bottom bracket bearings... which I promptly removed because they get replaced.

correctly adjusted BB bearings.jpgcorrectly adjusted fork bearings.jpg

-received one of the unbent bent-springer forks, (another one ordered to replace the bent bent-springer fork) a different styled-stem (adjustable and a bit 'deeper' headstock)
-received new crank and the crappy rim-brake-for-bent-springer-forks... add new 'gray' pads and it works good enuff.
...and an email saying my motored wheel kit shipped today
...the other fork and stem shipped today (my questioning mind wonders wut the hold-up was)

If the welding guy gets'er done on Tuesday I shall have a functional 'local' MT#2 ready and waiting for the nuvinci hub-thingy. and a soon-to-be-put-in-repair-mode My Trike #1 (MT#1 needs fork replaced, new stem replacing old stem, bent rim replaced with unbent rim and a temp 30A/40A battery pack connector (SpeakOn with 4-12 gauge wires (two zip cords) in parallel running 6 whole feet)
btw... two 12 gauge wires in parallel = almost 9 gauge circumference and a short length of 6 foot can carry more than 10 times the current demanded by the 23A controller for the mighty mite motor. Wut This Means is insignificant voltage sag under heavy loads.
The controller for the MY1018 motor is mere inches from this pack should I decide to parallel the MY1018's 10A pack to the 30A pack.

-did I mention I'd made an inclonometer switch to auto-magically activate the MY1018 by using a bugler alarm reed relay and a "magnet on a stick"?
...probably not

I'm considering using a GM mid-drive motor in loo of the MY1018.
-at least two reasons and a couple more not-quite-formulated ones includes:
1. costs close enough to a new MY1018
2. might be more efficient over the front-hub motor under 'normal' riding (below 8% grades)

in this way I can leave the MY1018 on MT#1.

I'm making inquiries now, and I haven't decided if using the easier-to-mount 800w motor would be a better choice.
The main issue I have with the 800w motor is it's 10% higher kv.
Either way I remain fixed on using 10S LiPo packs. 'tis a max speed thang (as I don't wants to goes so fast)

Received the motor kit from highertekbikes and the frame from the welder's (charged me $10.00)

Time to Rain on MY Parade *starts raining*

I'm waffling on the GM motor.
I don't want to spend any time at all figuring out which hall wire goes where.
-the MY1020 motor (with gear reduction) keeps calling out to me... "use me!... less hassle... less hassle... less hassle"

with nothing better to do than spending money I ordered more charging stuffs for all the damn batteries.

...the solar panel idea is looking betterer and betterer (and cheaperer and cheaperer)
-and the first step was purchasing a 1010b icharger because I've either deceived or made myself believe I can easily integrate this particular charger with 300w of solar panel.
If not, I still get a better charger than my MAX80 for balance charging. (which I will also continue to use) (see: lots of batteries)

a few raindrops
freshly ground steel
instant rust

My new ampbikes Mighty Mite motor came mounted on a Samson 6061t6 rim
This Samson 6061T6 rim must be one of those 'exotic' bike thingys where looks is far more important than function.

looks as in:
-wut kind of super-skinny tire will I actually have to fit in this thang? Doesn't look like I can mount a regular 1.75 tube/tire on it as it's about 1/2 the width of the double-sidewall aluminum rim that came with the bike.
-beautifully-machined ridges around the sidewalls of the 6061T6 rim effectively negating the effectiveness of a rim brake

crap

Sancho's Horse said:
Did they stop selling the nuvinci developers kits? Something like $150usd. I know it sounds like I am too late, and as Bukowski says there is nothing worse than too late, but maybe I can be on time for someone else. :oops:

I'm not aware of whether the manufacturer has stopped offering the kits, as I needed to purchase through Staton-Inc to be able to get his modifications that allows the use of motor input along with pedal input to the hub. I'm assuming he bought a stock of parts from Fallbrook
I may have shopped poorly (not the first time- for instance, my photoshops are generally pretty poor)

I just visited Fallbrook's website and there is no mention of the developer kits

uhmm staton's web page dropped the nuvinci hub

I probably lose

sent an email to staton
...awaiting the (probably bad) news

omg... it's like that piece never existed
Rassy... did yours disappear overnight?

ref.
ddk said:
sent an email to staton
...awaiting the (probably bad) news

omg... it's like that piece never existed
Rassy... did yours disappear overnight?
dave wrote something about "the hub being pulled" (I'm guessing this means pulled from stock)
and to have patience while the parts are being machined

oh wells
so with the same mixed-feelings I've had all along about the nuvinci... it does appear that I only need to "hold on" for a couple of days

Just once I would wish to convey that when I write something somewhat frivolously, that I've intended my massage to be frivolous in nature... or a least tongue-in-cheek
meaning
Late Night Follies said:
it's been 2-3 days and I just now noticed you dropped the nuvinci from
your webpage
Does this mean I'm not gonna get any product (and no, I don't need the
other stuff I had to order to make the nuvinci thing work)

inquiring minds want to know...

answered with:
someone one the internet said:
HI, You will have to wait until we get the parts ready to ship.

Can you hold on a couple more days.!

The hub has been pulled.

It's not that I'm impatient. I waited 3 business days (Not including a weekend=3. Including the weekend=5) to inquire about my order from our previous email exchange exchange on Thursday, where DS wrote I should get a tracking number in 2-3 days, which didn't happen.

ATM- This missing bit is the last item on my build list 'of all the necessary bits and pieces' needed to fully assemble that, which will become, the MT#2

just got back from the LBS
guy sold me a tire he sez will fit...

lbs tire is biggererer.jpg

He had two headset bearings left that fit my (in his words) "just a standard 1" tube)- until he tried several different 1" tube bearings.
And I know the tube tain't 1" otherwise my 1" tube bearing carriers/races would have fit the tube.
(the tube is 22.something mm)

other differences in the ampedbike Mighty Mite motor kit is it now includes an on/off switch my first kit lacked

but now we be awaiting the shipping of da davinci

we still be awaiting the nuvinci

so I endlessly babble-speak
I had the odd (for me nothing is actually odd, just unusual) occasion of driving a car yesterday.
Although I don't note where my location is in my profile I will note that it's the NW Pacific coastline
But I digress:
I had to take a 200-mile trip to another city and I initially thought I might like to look around the location a bit so I rented a, gasp, car.
86F temps and a possible broken ankle made me think otherwise so I returned to the coast (56F and foggy)
My ankle never proved to be a problem pedaling a bike. It became a major problem driving a car.
Along the way I noted a lone bicyclist on the Redwood Highway that I wouldn't likely consider riding. (no shoulders, too much traffic driving way too fast etc.)
Driving the interstate I noticed lots of bikers- no ebikes (distances between services are too great for most ebikes)
...and I'd hazard a guess the youngest bicyclist was ~50 years old.
30-somethings are the majority seen along Highway 101

On my return trip along the Redwood Highway I passed the lone bicyclist going the same way she previously was headed as she sledgehammered on.

I bought a new camera -back to taking crappy pics

so after lunch

lunch equaled one dirty martini.jpg
(wobbly?-nope only drank a few sips to remind myself I like olives more than alcohol)

I started the ride back home when suddenly MAX BRAKES.
The cheap-ass brake arms that came with the bicycledesigner "brake for bent front-springer fork" ah... bent.
And the pads were now rubbing against the sidewalls of the tire.
brake walking.jpg

Lucky for me I lunched right across from the LBS, where I purchased a replacement part. ...and it only cost as much as the bicycledesigner doohicky (without shipping)
Replacing the brake arms involved more grunt work than I've done for a while, hence my "new" signature.

I got back to the ddk bike and trike shop safely.
I also mounted my newly acquired tire.

IT"S BIG

bigererer tire mounted.jpg

...still waiting on the staton nuvinci

tomorrow I make The Big Decision staton may not like.
Reason:
Two weeks lead-time on a part where the seller indicated no lead-time was part of the deal, seems fair enough to me.

...and I really need to finish this trike.
Maybe staton doesn't understand the trike(s) is my only form of transportation.
I stopped using cars, not because I lost my license but because I made the decision to stop using ICE-powered vehicles where I think e-cars sux.

I procured the parts for my 'alternative to the nuvinci' ... just in case the nuvinci doesn't ship... today.

Although I still don't like the derailleur (esp. when climbing hills where it refuses to downshift properly as where every derailleur set I've ever owned or used has exhibited that same 'feature') my alternatives seem less likely to materialize in time.

- the "one gear only" solution -
depending on how staton answers my latest email inquiry I might be spending the day disassembling MT#2's tricycle axle so I can weld on an additional 13-tooth sprocket to the derailleur mounting collar-thingy (the thingy with the two set screws for fixing the derailleur cage's position via the 4mm keyway slot on the 15mm axle)
This, of course makes the 13-tooth sprocket 'fixed' on the axle.
The motor will drive a freewheeled 44-tooth sprocket on the added 5/8" jackshaft along with a mounted "fixed 9-tooth sprocket" and a 160mm disc brake mounted on a 5/8" hub.
Additional welding includes the bearing holders for the jackshaft, which will be welded 'under the frame' as opposed to 'over the frame' on MT#1 (we lives. we learns. especially from our previous errors)

edit- I believe I shall drill a hole for a derailleur arm to be mounted on the 5/8" jackshaft .
this allows me to use a fixed sprocket and the disc brake on the 15mm axle.
Lucky for me I recently purchased a brass tube to shim the 15mm axle to accept the 5/8" hub and gear.

received e-mail reply
either ship today or I get a full refund so I guess I should spend the day building the other two battery packs.
I got two old stems from the LBS so I can mount one pack on the handlebars facing forward the headset stem.
I already have shims to adapt the grips to the handlebars.

After months of taking detailed readings on the lithium packs I find I hardly glance at the meters anymore.
Now I wobble between procuring a smaller dedicated voltmeter or a few more "cheap" cell readers, which, although inaccurate, are close enough for my needs.
note: A cell log is useless for monitoring on the road, as it's display is sized for really really small people (about the size of a meerkat)

ddk said:
just got back from the LBS
guy sold me a tire he sez will fit...

View attachment 1

I failed to mention it took several attempts to get the tire bead to set properly around the stem area
...as per usual *with a tired, slightly bored voice*
Mr Wishy-Washy-Wobbly said:
"the more you pay for a bicycle part, the harder it is to install"

the staton-nuvinci will apparently ship today
received a call from staton asking whether I wanted the steel or aluminum sprocket
(steel, please)

Guess I can restore the axle and bearing plates to their hiding place.

the most important part of my project gets delivered tomorrow
-The bigger shed.

my shed-in-a-box is here.
Too bad I ain't so energetic today.
Every time I make a change to MT#1 I have to remember to procure enough parts for "2"

I've decided to stretch the frame of MT#2 by about 10" (~25.4cm).
This is the last effort to make the trike that much more stable at those crazy downhill speeds where I feel not-so-comfortable above 30mph (48kph)
Welder-fella gives me a Wednesday estimate for start/completion.
In the meantime i expect to:
- Finish my *NEW* *IMPROVED* *AMAZING* battery boxes and their mounting brackets/holder-downers (see: MT#1 for the gory details.
- Receive the Nuvinci hub-thingy, drilling the hub flange to accept the 44-tooth sprocket (I guess Dave ran outta time LOL) (He recommended 4mm parts. Being a cantankerous ornery old fool I shall use 10/32 hardware because I have those in stainless steel)
- Erect new shed (just like the old shed except longer-er with front/rear doors for that "breezeway effect" so I can work inside as needed. The current shade solution is already showing signs of imminent self-destruction.
-make the mods to the tricycle axle as I've done on MT#2 for the battery mounts, hitch, and soon-to-be-added upper rear supports for the soon-to-be-added solar panel 'woof' 'woof' 'woof'

all in all I shall be kept busy by my own devices.

Back