Main power connectors - help please

cbr shadow

1 kW
I'm hooking up the main power leads from battery packs (88.8v Nominal) to my 18FET Lyen controller. The controller came with spade connectors, and my harness from Icecube57 came with extra 4mm bullet connectorrs so that I could add one to the controller. Can the 4mm bullet connectors handle the 88.8v, and probably 40-45 amps that I'm planning on running? Or should i just stick w/ the spades?
I'd like to do the bullets because they're completely covered, but i dont know what they're rated for.
Pleas elet me know asap as I'm trying to hook them up now.
thanks,
Ryan

The voltage rating is mainly a function of contact spacing, i.e. the air gap between the contacts. If they are individual bullet connectors, you just have to make sure that you keep the seperated and have sufficient electrical isolation. If they are a two contact connector, like the ones commonly used, then I would think you're OK below 100V DC.

HK rates their 4mm bullet connectors to 93A. That may be a little high, but they are at least good to 60A and probably 80A.

Beats me why Lyens uses those spades for higher power controllers. I cut em off immediately from the power wires. I like andersons so that's what I replace em with.

Bullets will be fine though.

Agreed with Dogman: Cut off the spades and replace them. For a while I have used Anderson Power Poles (APP), however I am presently reworking the entire battery harness of my rig to use Bullets of the flavor:

• 4mm (same as Battery Packs, 12-10 AWG) for lower current,
  • 5mm – EC5 (10-8 AWG) for unified battery assemblies and to controllers (was: 10 AWG APP),
  • 6mm (6 AWG) for the Main Harness and to the Trailer (was: 10 and 8 AWG APP).

For all the reasons previously stated, I believe bullets offer the best choice – with exception to where swaged connections are naturally preferred. :)

Best of luck, KF

Bullets for the big power. I just still like the andersons for lower than 40 amps.

Kingfish said:
Agreed with Dogman: Cut off the spades and replace them. For a while I have used Anderson Power Poles (APP), however I am presently reworking the entire battery harness of my rig to use Bullets of the flavor:

• 4mm (same as Battery Packs, 12-10 AWG) for lower current,
  • 5mm – EC5 (10-8 AWG) for unified battery assemblies and to controllers (was: 10 AWG APP),
  • 6mm (6 AWG) for the Main Harness and to the Trailer (was: 10 and 8 AWG APP).

For all the reasons previously stated, I believe bullets offer the best choice – with exception to where swaged connections are naturally preferred. :)

Best of luck, KF
I just received my order from HK and have measured the HXT 6mm connectors:

Although these connectors are larger than the 5mm/EC5 and look like they can handle more power, the inside socket measurement for the wire is actually smaller than the EC5. The HXT 6mm measures 4.85mm whereas the EC5 mesasures about 5.01mm. I am disappointed because obviously it will not accept 6-AWG wire (stranded measures about 5.13mm in diameter).

Near as I can tell there isn't a 7mm barrel connector out there. However I think I can still make a go of it though if I wrap the free strands at the butt-end of the 6mm connector. :|

Welcome to reality. KF

I have some favorites and some i hate. 4mm bullets being more common. Handle alot of current and as long as the gauge wire matches your amp you dont have any problems with the 4mm contacts Mines can accept 8G which is a plus but the standard ones can take 10G. My next favorite is XT150s... They are awesome in size and current capability and can take 6G. 45A Andersons are nice for low current and can comfortably take 10G 8G is a PITA but it can take it also. Sustained current near there rating.. i would pick something else. If you need it for short burst of high current and cruise at below their rated amps i think is ok also. 5.5mm bullets are just akward in my opinion. There are 4 main designs of the 5.5 and two of them sucks ass. The ones I hate have an akward backing where its hard to pool the solder in the back of the connector. The other has an issue with spring/retension force where they fit loosely in their mating connector. I often include a drywall screw with my harnesses so customers can retension the male contact so they fit better. Lyen spade connectors are great... I just wish he would put a male and a female on his controller instead of two females... it creates a short hazard. The female contacts have protectors but the male contacts dont.... so if his controller has two females on it.. the controller is protected but when i have to make a harness I have to make a mating contact with two males and they are exposed and its a short hazard if a pack was plugged in and the bare contacts touch. I like PP75 and use them on certain occasion with customers. They can handle the current but have a very retarded retention for of 50lbs per contact. I hear good things about EC5 but you start getting to a point of which connector is cost effect and can carry the current you need. So I will have to go with 4mm bullet for the win.

If yon find 5.5 HXT with housings... those are pimpin.

Build your bike so the batteries stay aboard and then hard wire the main power wires. It's much more convenient and trouble free. Plus soldering 5 connections takes less time than installing 10 connectors, and you get to break even upon replacement. Then there's the cost savings and impossibility of a loose or high resistance connections. If my connection is temporary while testing a new component then I use bolts with washers and work with whatever is there, which is typically a ring terminal, but I've turned bare wire into ring terminals.

John in CR said:
Build your bike so the batteries stay aboard and then hard wire the main power wires. It's much more convenient and trouble free. Plus soldering 5 connections takes less time than installing 10 connectors, and you get to break even upon replacement. Then there's the cost savings and impossibility of a loose or high resistance connections. If my connection is temporary while testing a new component then I use bolts with washers and work with whatever is there, which is typically a ring terminal, but I've turned bare wire into ring terminals.
I had considered going to ring-terminals when the soldering option became very difficult, but then Ice turned me on to the hydraulic crimper :)
It should arrive tomorrow. ADDENDUM: It arrived yesterday; what a monster! Whoo hoo! I'm off to get the copper swages :D

>> XT150s: Thanks for that, good to know, and next time I will get those :)
Assuaged, KF

Last evening I got around to soldering the HXT 6mm Gold Connector w/ Protector onto the Main Harness and I was not entirely pleased with the result. What I have will work for now, however I decided to proactively investigate the XT150 Connectors w/ 6mm Gold Connectors from HK and placed the order this AM.

Reason: Too much fussing about trying to get the HXT 6mm connector to fit onto 6-AWG. I don't think the "well" is deep enough nor large enough for the wire. I want low-resistance at the connector as well as properly sized. I'll swap the contacts out when the XT150s arrive :wink:

Almost finished with the new harness construction and otherwise going well.
Cheers, KF

Greetings –

This morning I received my package from HK containing the XT150 Connectors w/ 6mm Gold Connectors. I now have nearly the entire gallery of barrel connectors, so with that – allow me to present my findings. I direct your attention to the picture below:

HKBarrelConnectors.jpg

I probably should have ordered this from smallest to largest… but I’m left-handed. Anyways…

Let’s begin Right to Left… :wink:

HXT 4mm Gold Connector w/ Protector: RED - These are common connectors for Zippy FlightMax (and I presume other) LiPo batteries from Hobby King. The solder cup measures 4mm diameter x 5mm deep, and I have always found them to be deceptive when tinning up before soldering and spilling a bit. They accept 12- and 10-AWG wire and are configured that way by the OEM when attached to packs. One shell provides polarized M/F mating. I like them for what they are: No nonsense basic friction-fit connector that seldom fails except by overt effort – perhaps in pitch black darkness or when hung-over. Really, these are pretty much fool-proof. The only drawback to the design is that it is far easier to install the shell BEFORE soldering the connections so that the wires are already through the interface, and then pulling the completed assembly from behind. I found it much easier to place a completed soldered pair onto a vise where the wires draped through the slightly wider gap that prevents the shell from falling through, and using an old thick length of spoke (12-Gauge works well) or punch, then use a light hammer and in one strike – punch the contacts through to seat them. In that sense, these 4mm connectors can be a PITA. I rate them 4.5 stars out of 5.

EC5 5mm Connector: BLUE - These are essentially 5mm gold-plated barrel connectors that can just barely accept up to 8-AWG high-strand wire. The solder cup measures 5mm diameter x 3.75 to 4mm deep depending on Male or Female. They are a perfect upgrade from HXT 4mm, and I have recently employed them on my branching harness subassemblies used to parallel series-packs before joining to the main battery harness. The connections are more firm than the HXT 4mm Connectors above. The shells however are different and require two to complete the connection; a male and a female polarized housing. I do like that the sides of the shells indicate polarity (+ & -). I also like that I can solder my contacts in advance – and then mount them into the shell housing from behind, pushing moderately until the trademark “snick” is heard. And… I can removed the housing with relative ease by using the same method with the vise and punch. The only drawback to polarized shells is that you need two, and it can be a little confusing on the harness-end which side gets what. The other use – aside from mating the paralleled batteries into The Collective is also to mate the Controller(s) to the main harness. They really are a nice way to go and I prefer them over the APP connectors they have replaced. I rate them 4.9 stars out of 5.

HXT 6mm Gold Connector w/ Protector: RED - Take the two previous connectors, throw them into a blender, and extract out the best features of the mix and you have these guys. One M/F shell like HXT 4mm, however the solder cups vary slightly more: Male is about 4.8mm diameter x 6mm deep, with the Female about 5mm in diameter x 4.3mm deep. The fit is very good and are said to have higher current-carrying capacity. Like the EC5 5mm, these housing are also very easy to install. My one gripe is that the cup is actually slightly smaller than anticipated and it’s not suitable for 6-AWG wire. However it is one beefy connector for 8-AWG. Definitely a good upgrade from HXT 4mm connectors. I’d rank them 4.75 stars.

XT150 Connectors w/ 6mm Gold Connectors: BLK, RED, & BLUE - These guys are seriously potent and ready to rumble connectors! They can just barely accept 6-AWG stranded wire although it might be a tight fit if pre-tinned. The solder cup for Male & Female is nearly identical at about 5.3mm in diameter x 3.6mm deep. It requires two polarized single-conductor shells that are M & F. The contacts fit with the highest compressive force; it is rock-solid although I can still pull them apart by hand with good effort. I’d love to have these on my Phase wires if only I could get the axle mounting hardware on and off. My plan is to use these connectors to unify my extended battery packs to the main harness, such as connecting my trailer to the bike. I laud them with 5 stars for the serious business that they imply.

The last item on the far left is a test of swaging three 6-AWG marine-grade conductors together; the XT150 Female Contact fits snugly onto the high-strand copper and does not wobble off. As I said before, this might be a tight fit when pre-tinned. Might have to use a flame for soldering…

Reference to similar threads:

One more time...
  • 12 or 10-AWG: use HXT 4mm. Lowest current rated of the series.
    10 or 8-AWG: use either EC5 5mm, or HXT 6mm for even higher current rating.
    8 or 6-AWG: use XT150. Highest current rated.

Wicked selection; I am so jazzed now!
Tear'n it up, KF :twisted:

ddk found industrial grade connectors which are far superior to HK offering.
There is thread on ES about shoddy bullets from HK.
How many times you want to conn/disconnect before they become loose?
You forgot that you might be buying counterfeit ones.

I use the 4mm bullets for pack-building only because I'm lazy and that's what the Turnigy and Zippy LiPo's come with.
After the harnesses bullets are dispensed with. I don't like soldered joints carrying high currents because they eventually fail.
I don't run mega-amps (20A-30A draw per battery case) so I use a connector that handles those more moderate power levels.
search: NL4 connector
It's slightly bigger than an audio 'xlr' connector and is rated for 50-60A per pole. It has four poles allowing me to 'double-up' 10 gauge wire if I needed to do so.
one pair of 10 gauge is adequate for my longest run of about 1.1 meter. I prefer to use double pairs of 12 gauge (equals about 9 gauge) because it's easier to work with.

Back