Dual mid drive hub drive prototype

So I've been playing with the idea of having a hub mounted alongside
My gng kit, and now I've finally done it!! And I'm glad I did!
Mounting a hub with the kit has now eliminated the dreaded derailleur problems and given a smoother pull off
And has given So much more power!
I'll give specs and pictures soon.

So I started with a standard gng kit and took off the belt and replaced with a chain drive
I'm using a 12fet lyen controller for that, giving 48amps. For the hub I used a 9 fet lyen controller with a thumb throttle that works brilliantly against the gng twist grip. So now I have the best of both worlds with stealthy quietness when I need it and full on race bike when I'm offroad.

First pic of prototype with both motors fitted

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    142.6 KB · Views: 8,421
A couple of close ups

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    150 KB · Views: 8,418
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    145.5 KB · Views: 8,418
At some point I will lace the motor in a 24" rim as the 26" is too big

The batteries are fitted in a plastic extractor box with the back ends sealed with chemical adhesive
Got 20ah 72v

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 8,414
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    110.6 KB · Views: 2,662
Bit tatty at the moment but is so much fun I don't care!! :D :D :D

I did the same to mine, love the power!

http://endless-sphere.com/forums/download/file.php?id=117590&mode=view

Gonna have to film it in action at some point.
With the two combined I'm peaking at over 6000w!!
Need to beef it up though as its a bit hairy at 45mph!
:D

Needmorespeed and rp3, are both of you using a geared hubmotor on the rear wheel? If yes, you two can finally and definitively answer the question...which is louder. Chained-primary GNG, or rear geared hub-motor?

spinningmagnets said:
Needmorespeed and rp3, are both of you using a geared hubmotor on the rear wheel? If yes, you two can finally and definitively answer the question...which is louder. Chained-primary GNG, or rear geared hub-motor?
The chain and gears are making the noise on a GNG drive, not the BLDC motor itself that is probably just as silent as a DD hub. That is the impression I've had when I did ride one.

I'm using a standard brushless dd motor so it's much quieter than the gng. The gng has got louder with each mod. Especially with the chain mod. Too noisy for riding past suspicious pedestrians anyway. But driving with traffic is not loud at all :D

New top speed today 47.8 mph

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 8,296
spinningmagnets said:
GNG by a mile! The primary chain conversion on mine is really loud, but even while I had the belt on the GNG is was still much louder. Both my Bafang BPM geared hubs are really quiet.

Thanks! The best info is always first-hand experience (as much as I still enjoy coffee-table theories), and having two builders agree on a point of discussion settles it.

As much as I like the lighter weight and "no cog" rolling of a geared hub, the near silence of a 9C/Crystalytre HT would be my choice for a hybrid system. Or...maybe a small Conhis DD at 72V?

One of the little conhis motors in the front at 72V would be cool! two wheel drive and gobs of torque from the GNG...

This is great info. I've been thinking of doing this on my new aluminium frame. How many watt hours are you carrying guys?
Now that GNG sell a stock chain drive I'm thinking of adding one to the 2kw BPM and enclosing it (via my 3d printer) to look a bit more like the Bosch drive :p

RP3 - hope you can make the ride on Sunday in Melb, I am keen to see that bike!

I'm only carring 12S 9Ah, so about 330 usable watt hours.
It has crazy torque and acceleration. Out accererates my Fighter to about 30kms/h with the same power.

Samd said:
This is great info. I've been thinking of doing this on my new aluminium frame. How many watt hours are you carrying guys?
Now that GNG sell a stock chain drive I'm thinking of adding one to the 2kw BPM and enclosing it (via my 3d printer) to look a bit more like the Bosch drive :p

RP3 - hope you can make the ride on Sunday in Melb, I am keen to see that bike!

I've got mine running at 48ampswith 72v on the gng using a 12fet Lyen and the rear is 38amp 72v ,it's super fast and runs well with 20ah. So should be running 6100w combined or there abouts but when I have the ca connected to the gng it only shows about 2300w..? So combined its producing about 5000w. Will have to play with the settings at some point. But to be honest it really doesn't need much more. I'm sure it's faster from standing start to 40 mph than most Stealths out there and that's good enough for me. Still yet to break the 50 mph barrier though but have changed the motor sprocket to a 13 tooth to give me a bit more top end. Will try it at the weekend and let you know. :D

oh dear!!
My old hub has finally given in.went for a blast around the fields and broke the cover plate.Couldn't cope with the speed!!!
Got 51 mph from the dual drive finally breaking the 50 mph barrier though,
Am going to invest in a crystalyte next week,will keep you posted when it's fitted.. :p :D

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 7,896
So other people started doing this kind of thing already. I'm gonna be adding a gng gen2 middrive on my 29er cruiser that got a magic pie II hub on the rear. this is to help the bike climb long hills without overheating with a loaded trailer. I'm mainly doing this to distribute the load on two motors on the hill climbs to control temps in the hub and to distribute the stress points from the motors. The gng helper motor will be shut off at flat terrain cruising. I was planning a geared front hub but wanted to keep my front suspension. So it came to me, why not install a middrive instead. The original plan was to use the new bafang middrive since I got reliability issues with GNG before but the gng gen2 is a more flexible setup specially with the availability of better mounting hardware from the members here. I'm just wondering, which one is the lightest kit? the GNG gen1 or the gen2? I have the assumption that the gen 2 is lighter since it's using a bafang like geared hub. I don't really need the full grunt of the gen1 since I'll have 2 motors working together in tandem.

Crystalyte ordered!
Will be lacing in to a 24" rim
If anyone is thinking of doing this ,DO IT DO IT DO IT !!!
Not only do you get extreme power, you get the added benefit of using everything to a safer limit without pushing an individual motor and running gear to breaking point.
DUAL POWER IS THE ONLY WAY FORWARD!!! :D :D :D :D

I am just waiting for my gng gen 2 kit. probably here next week. so are you guys using 2 throttles or just one? I'm planning in doing just one.

lantice13 said:
I am just waiting for my gng gen 2 kit. probably here next week. so are you guys using 2 throttles or just one? I'm planning in doing just one.

I'm using two on the same side
I've got the thumb throttle for the hub and twist grip for the mid mount
Works perfectly, pull away smoothly with the hub using your thumb and floor it with gng twist grip!
Not sure how well it'd work putting two different motors through one throttle. Plent of people have done it on here but I think they've used the same type of motor?

I'm going to try the one throttle 2 motor first and see how it goes. =D I think I need to common the same colored wires from the controller minus the red wire of the 2nd controller.

Back