Motoped anyone ?

MadRhino

100 GW
1557541_272701369553384_2041720667_n.jpg

Just wondering if it is from anyone on the Sphere

They sell the frame kit for 600$ and the complete kit for 1500$, sounds very cheap to me
Tri-power: Pedal, gas and electric

[youtube]c-Xpusmds_A[/youtube]

MadRhino said:

Just wondering if it is from anyone on the Sphere

They sell the frame kit for 600$ and the complete kit for 1500$, sounds very cheap to me
Tri-power: Pedal, gas and electric

that is a photoshop of a customer build.. its not yet a motoped product..
the gas/electric hybrid is a planned build not yet actualized..
there are no electronics on that bike..
at this point just marketing but looks like a very promising concept..

also the $600 frame/ $1500 (no motor) bike is dealer pricing deal from kickstarter campaign
pricing will increase in the aftermarket.. updated pricing to be announced soon..
however you may be able to squeeze in an order since they haven't updated the pricing on their web page yet..

I have already ordered two frames & am planning at least one more build..
looking forward to april! :twisted: :mrgreen:

Thanks efMX

Looks promising of course.
I wouldn't ride this on the streets here, but very interesting for long rides in the countryside.

Looks a lot like some of the bikes from the Tucson Death races. The gasser crowd is not sitting on their asses. They are just as cutting edge with their bikes as the electric bunch. It's not just all board tracker type builds.

I placed an order for one, unfortunately I will be going gas with a 125cc motor. Range and power would be difficult to match. I do see it being converted to electric one day when batteries have significant capacities, but that will be a long wait.

I love my electric bikes. But the single cheapest per mile and most reliable vehicle I ever owned, including pedal bikes, was a Honda 125 four stroke. I put gas and oil in it for years, that was it. Not much gas or oil either.

I'm not seeing the electric motor in the pictures. Will yours have both gas and electric motors? I can't see needing an electric motor at all if you have 125 cc gas.

dogman said:
I love my electric bikes. But the single cheapest per mile and most reliable vehicle I ever owned, including pedal bikes, was a Honda 125 four stroke. I put gas and oil in it for years, that was it. Not much gas or oil either.

I'm not seeing the electric motor in the pictures. Will yours have both gas and electric motors? I can't see needing an electric motor at all if you have 125 cc gas.

there are no electronics on that bike.. yet :wink:
the electrics would be for stealth mode.. :twisted:

Yes, little stealth while using the motor. The OP said tri power, but I can't see it in the picture posted. Looks like you could put a hubmotor on it anytime though.

It looks nice to me as just a gasser. Similar to the morini motor powered ones I saw winning the death races, till Paul D showed up with his ebike.

dogman said:
Yes, little stealth while using the motor. The OP said tri power, but I can't see it in the picture posted. Looks like you could put a hubmotor on it anytime though.

It looks nice to me as just a gasser. Similar to the morini motor powered ones I saw winning the death races, till Paul D showed up with his ebike.

MadRhino got that pic from motopeds facebook page.. https://www.facebook.com/motopeds
they are on a major marketing bonanza over there..
its a planned build.. not yet a reality..
i agree, hub motor install would make it tri-brid..

Figured I update this thread since I met with the Motoped guys today and converted one of the bikes with a Cromotor and 19" MC rim for a proof of concept. Some pictures and quick vid clips are on their Facebook page with me riding.
https://www.facebook.com/motopeds

The other electric Motoped in the videos has a Perm PMG132 motor with a 300A Alltrax controller on 56v. It has a bit more acceleration than the setup I was using (3kw more + better gearing, tops out aroudn 40mph) but once over about 20 mph things evened out with the Cromotor having a better top speed (53mph) and a much quieter ride, almost silent. I think it was quieter in this frame than anything else I have ever put it in, probably because the frame doesn't resonate at all with the motor and there is no freewheel noise. I ran a 3yr old 24S 15AH pack at 115A battery /200A phase current on a EB236 36 FET IRFB4115 controller I keep around for testing.

The bike is really amazing to ride, so much fun and it's a moped! Even the little 49cc 4 stroke was WAY better than I ever thought it would have been compared to the gas bicycles I tried. I got to try out all the different engines from 49cc to 155cc (clutched with multi speed gear box), the 155cc one is way faster than I though it was going to be based on my previous motorcycle experience, but these things are so light. The pedals on them are not useless either, they offer low speed easy to pedal cruising around on flat ground with the motor off. They ride more like a bicycle than a motorcycle, extremely easy to control and very well balanced. When I converted it to electric with a Cromotor it was very similar in handling to my Greyborg Warp since the wheel base is the same.

Had a really fun day riding all of the bikes and hanging out with the guys. Now I want a Moped. I need more money and a bigger garage.

Saw the vids on facebook and even asked if it was a cromotor. Should of known that it was you hooking them up. :D

LOve the concept, would really like a 49cc version, im no power junkie

it would just be to "in your face" to ride on australian roads/bike paths/commuter

No chance of licencing it here, though 33cc sachs petrol engines are legal,

Whats the go with the electric versions they are working on, the picture on facebook looks "bomber-esque"

Are the ones you rode petrol model conversions? are they working on a battery holder or a completely different frame

I guess with there propritory bottom bracket jackshaft, mid drive is really the way to go to use the benefits of this frame

love these bikes, but only the ones with electric power.
do they have a special frame for the electric ones or is it the same? the current frame does not look optimal to mount a battery to it..

someone should convert one to a middrive with a plettenberg nova 30 or a joby motor. this would be fun and powerful :)

madin88 said:
love these bikes, but only the ones with electric power.
do they have a special frame for the electric ones or is it the same? the current frame does not look optimal to mount a battery to it..

someone should convert one to a middrive with a plettenberg nova 30 or a joby motor. this would be fun and powerful :)

It's in the works. They are going electric. This was just a proof of concept. I can't post the pictures but we had a HUGE test battery box on it. I could have fit 24S 35-40AH into it. It will look good with a custom battery box setup.

Great news! :D
Electric Motopeds are coming! :mrgreen:
for those not on phasebook you can view updates, videos etc on the Motopeds Blog
Cromotor meets Motoped! 8)
1962693_286772744812913_507232_n.jpg

zombiess said:
Figured I update this thread since I met with the Motoped guys today and converted one of the bikes with a Cromotor and 19" MC rim for a proof of concept. Some pictures and quick vid clips are on their Facebook page with me riding.

The other electric Motoped in the videos has a Perm PMG132 motor with a 300A Alltrax controller on 56v. It has a bit more acceleration than the setup I was using (3kw more + better gearing, tops out aroudn 40mph) but once over about 20 mph things evened out with the Cromotor having a better top speed (53mph) and a much quieter ride, almost silent. I think it was quieter in this frame than anything else I have ever put it in, probably because the frame doesn't resonate at all with the motor and there is no freewheel noise. I ran a 3yr old 24S 15AH pack at 115A battery /200A phase current on a EB236 36 FET IRFB4115 controller I keep around for testing.

The bike is really amazing to ride, so much fun and it's a moped! Even the little 49cc 4 stroke was WAY better than I ever thought it would have been compared to the gas bicycles I tried. I got to try out all the different engines from 49cc to 155cc (clutched with multi speed gear box), the 155cc one is way faster than I though it was going to be based on my previous motorcycle experience, but these things are so light. The pedals on them are not useless either, they offer low speed easy to pedal cruising around on flat ground with the motor off. They ride more like a bicycle than a motorcycle, extremely easy to control and very well balanced. When I converted it to electric with a Cromotor it was very similar in handling to my Greyborg Warp since the wheel base is the same.

Had a really fun day riding all of the bikes and hanging out with the guys. Now I want a Moped. I need more money and a bigger garage.

Sounds cool ... now how about a drop-in mid-drive?

efMX Trials Electric Freeride said:
for those not on phasebook you can view updates, videos etc on the Motopeds Blog

zombiess said:

Motopeds is working on drop in mid-drive kits as well!..
wont be much longer now.. :twisted:

cal3thousand said:
Sounds cool ... now how about a drop-in mid-drive?

zombiess said:

this is some good news. thx.
in what kW range will these motors act and about how many Wh will the battery have?

i want to see one powered with a nova 30 or joby 2 motor :lol:

edit:

is this how the electric frame will look like:

1904208_287110078112513_449811527_b.jpg

it looks nice, but why a three stage chaindrive? :|

no, it wont look like that at all..
that picture is a M55 electric bike..
its pictured to show the differences in the motoped vs the competition
w regard to price, spec, etc..
it will likely just look like a motoped.. :wink:
stay tuned!

madin88 said:

this is some good news. thx.
in what kW range will these motors act and about how many Wh will the battery have?

i want to see one powered with a nova 30 or joby 2 motor :lol:

edit:

is this how the electric frame will look like:
1904208_287110078112513_449811527_b.jpg

it looks nice, but why a three stage chaindrive? :|

Is it going be close to Magudaman's build like this?

Attachments

• 1b2s.jpg
    1b2s.jpg
    139.7 KB · Views: 4,998
  • bx6z.jpg
    bx6z.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 13,228
  • hkll.jpg
    hkll.jpg
    145.6 KB · Views: 4,998
  • zcxa.jpg
    zcxa.jpg
    107.9 KB · Views: 13,228
stay tuned!

i saw this bike the first time so i didnt know it was only for comparison on your blog. sorry.
is your company going to sell these frames alone like the ones for gas engines, or will it be a complete ready to ride bike? both would be nice :)

just to be clear..
i personally have no affiliation w motopeds etc..
im just a potential customer & fan of ev's in general..

that said..
the current motoped is a platform for gas or electric builds..
hub drive or mid-drive.. or complete bikes available soon..
electric specific motopeds may follow later, dependent on the market, etc..
:)

madin88 said:
stay tuned!

i saw this bike the first time so i didnt know it was only for comparison on your blog. sorry.
is your company going to sell these frames alone like the ones for gas engines, or will it be a complete ready to ride bike? both would be nice :)

At 125CC or above, I think I would get a regular motorcycle. In CAL. at 155cc you now a motorcycle and can ride the freeways. Now you have to pay registration and buy insurance. Also, with the weight of the bike, it is going to take a fairly big e-motor and batteries to get the bike moving. A 49cc gas motor and with a E-motor would be nice. You don't have to pay registration and with the right muffler the noise will keep you under the police eye.

Back