NEW Dyno at HPC! Come and test your bikes!

For all ES members, we have a brand new Electric Bike Dynamometer ready to put your bikes to the test! We welcome you down to the shop in SoCal- you can meet the crew and get measurements of ACTUAL rear wheel horsepower, torque, RPM, and Speed. The Dyno was just factory calibrated and ready to rock! You can see your bikes actual efficiency after all transmission/electrical losses. We will charge $15 for 3 runs, and provide you with a laminated dyno chart after your run! We have a LOT of fun testing bikes/optimizing them and getting real world useful data. We also have an eddy current brake system which we can program to replicate real world climbs such as Pikes Peak, Haleakala, etc.

Come down and join in on the fun! Our address is 21122 Nordhoff St. Suite F/G. Chatsworth, CA. 91311.

Here is a customers 2012 Stealth Bomber that we tested a few days ago!

1z1tjsi.jpg

Here is our Dyno set up with our 2014 5000W XC-2

105aa84.jpg

That's great! I'm definitely going to bring my bike by at some point. :mrgreen:

What motor was in the Bomber, was that an X5 or h40?

100 ft/lb of torque and 5 bhp is quite impressive!

Regarding the Bomber- It has the 5400 series C-lyte motor

Regarding the XC-2 5000W. Finalized output is not complete as we were testing different settings for the upcoming revolution. The latest dyno chart for our bike using a heavily modified/air cooled H40 type motor was 6.1hp and 117.3 ft-lbs output to the wheels.

We are going to set up a "Wall of Fame" in the shop and have a board for the top performers for both off the shelf commercial bikes and DIY bikes.. We are thinking about offering prizes for the top 3 spots in each category! We want to have fun with this.

-Chris

Where is the dyno located?

I would love to see charts of 9c type motors in different windings. But using the same controllers and batteries of course.

I'd like to see proof of what I suspect, a slow winding develops more HP in the lower rpms. So you get the full HP sooner when leaving the stop sign. At the price of a lower top speed of course.

Too much focus on top speed, by using too fast windings in 26" wheels IMO. But of course, top speed sells.

liveforphysics said:
Where is the dyno located?
:twisted:

Tests have been pretty weak so far, give them a chance to hit the 160 ft-lbs at least before going there and strip their Dyno :mrgreen:

HA. As soon as I saw liveforphysics post, my mind swirled with thoughts of him bringing a 50,000W monster breaking our precious new dyno to shreds! But its all good, I think it will be up to the task. Physical limitations of the dyno itself are about 45,000W and 110 mph for the roller. Dyno is located in the Los Angeles, CA area.

Hopefully, we can get a lot of people bringing in their bikes and we can get real world data from a bunch of these new bikes on the market. I am really curious what the actual output is of a bunch of these so called "250W" bikes. We have had so many customers confused about peoples 750W bikes being slower than another brands 250W bikes. Things can get real confusing for people trying to get into electric bikes. Hopefully this will be able to help a bit!

hi-powercycles said:
HA. As soon as I saw liveforphysics post, my mind swirled with thoughts of him bringing a 50,000W monster breaking our precious new dyno to shreds! But its all good, I think it will be up to the task. Physical limitations of the dyno itself are about 45,000W and 110 mph for the roller. Dyno is located in the Los Angeles, CA area.

Hopefully, we can get a lot of people bringing in their bikes and we can get real world data from a bunch of these new bikes on the market. I am really curious what the actual output is of a bunch of these so called "250W" bikes. We have had so many customers confused about peoples 750W bikes being slower than another brands 250W bikes. Things can get real confusing for people trying to get into electric bikes. Hopefully this will be able to help a bit!

45kW max dyno capability you say? :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

I'm really impressed and pleased to see you get a dyno setup! Very cool, and I love tools that help cut through BS. I hope you are going to host the dyno plots of each system online somewhere so folks can easily look up data.

Does it have to be rwhp? Can you do fwhp?

Hi,

liveforphysics said:
45kW max dyno capability you say? :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

I'm really impressed and pleased to see you get a dyno setup! Very cool, and I love tools that help cut through BS. I hope you are going to host the dyno plots of each system online somewhere so folks can easily look up data.
Zero should set one up in Norcal and make a similar offer!!

How much do they cost?

Who makes them?

Luke, don't go breaking their shiny new dyno, it's only 45kW capable and some of us have good idea where you are at ;)

With that said, I would like to see the difference between some of the 24 MOSFET Xie Chang controllers I built and my new 24 MOSFET Lebowski controller that I built and is now on my test bike. The Xie Chang will most likely make more power sooner as I remember Farfles 2Pi motor on a Xie Chang then on a Sevcon, totally different dyno plots. The Sevcon was worlds better to ride at non WOT.

Hey Liveforphysics,
I have a generous offer for you. Maybe we should pay you $15 NOT to use our dyno! ;)

The plan is to post results of EVERY bike we test with full charts online. Problem is, I don't know if it will be best to have everything posted on the website since I am sure some people could think we are trying to mislead them to make ourselves look better. It might be better If we had some public thread where we could post results so we could get called out if we posted some BS. Just thinking out loud here...

I want transparent information for everyone to see. Everyone wins when we do this.

Oh, and it doesn't matter what size tires you guys have i.e. 24 x 3.0, 29 x 2.3, everything is factored into the formulas so long as we set it up correctly.

Zombiess,
I think you are only about 40 minutes away! I think we should do a dyno run- CROWN vs HUBZILLA

Maybe we can use the same controller and battery system on both. We also have some special run higher efficiency HPC'd Crown motors for ultra high voltage that we could test! Should be fun.

hi-powercycles said:
Zombiess,
I think you are only about 40 minutes away! I think we should do a dyno run- CROWN vs HUBZILLA

Maybe we can use the same controller and battery system on both. We also have some special run higher efficiency HPC'd Crown motors for ultra high voltage that we could test! Should be fun.

That sounds like a great idea. We should make sure the wheel sizes are similar if possible. It would be nice to see the difference in wheel sizes too. I have a v2 in a 16 moped rim 20.5" tire and a v2 in a 19" mc rim 25.3" diameter. I also have my high speed in a 14" rim with 18" tire.

A specification format needs to be decided upon. For the DD hubbies that is not too difficult,

battery type, number of cells, AH, etc,
Controller type, mosfets, amp setting
Motor type, wind, wheel size,

It is the mid mounts that are going to need a little more thought regarding the gear used to test it in.

Maybe a third trace could be plotted on the graph showing current draw which would show efficiency though the speed range? Could this info be acquired with a clamp around the battery cable.
This is also the data people are familiar with from their CA display so they can see how it translates to whats real at the wheel.

I have never used the data log on the CA... Is there a way to output current #'s at .5 mph increments? I would need to export the data to excel. I would like to use a calibrated shunt CA for each bike...

For mid drives, so far we just have been doing the long route of testing each gear with a 1x drivetrain.

A Dc amp clamp around the negative pack lead would be more accurate and require no extra work, using the CA data its accuracy would be dependant on the correct shunt value being set in the CA. Also the clamp would allow the data to be recorded from bikes without a CA. Your Dyno could then show if the CA or other type of display is actually showing the current correctly. It becomes a diagnostic tool too! and adds the ability to compare efficiency as well as power/torque.

Tench said:
A Dc amp clamp around the negative pack lead would be more accurate and require no extra work, using the CA data its accuracy would be dependant on the correct shunt value being set in the CA. Also the clamp would allow the data to be recorded from bikes without a CA. Your Dyno could then show if the CA or other type of display is actually showing the current correctly. It becomes a diagnostic tool too! and adds the ability to compare efficiency as well as power/torque.
We have been using the CA shunt (so rShunt is 1.0) so there is no fudging of the numbers. We would like to see what you are talking about though....never used a DC amp clamp. From what I can tell, the calibrated shunt from the cycle analyst has been very accurate.

Back