i hate you all (tongue in cheek)

cal3thousand

10 MW
At 48V the MAC will be the funner ride. Especially if you get the right winding. I would say 8T would be great for you.

If you use a real 48V, it will get you around 28 mph and get you there quickly. It jumps from the line on just 48V and pulls up hills hard. The HT/HS are really only fun (IMO) at higher power levels.

My wife has a MAC 8T at 44V and I own a HT3525 at 88V. I would not ride that HT at 44V.

Get either an 8 or a 10 turn MAC. The speeds on 48 volts are 48 and 40 kph respectively. Great motor and plenty of power off the line.

Cell_man from Em3ev is the place to purchase. You can get the upgraded version too which will make overheating much less likely. Plus I think he has the new Sapim spokes as another option for an extra $15. I have had several dealings with him and his products and service is quite good. Though patience is required as he is so busy.

The choice of a motor shouldn't be a dilemma, I see it as the least in the list of priorities. Build a good bike to be motorized, then you can try various motors. Most of my bikes have seen many motors: The Demo alone have seen 5, it is in its third year with more than 40 000 Km and many crashes. I know that may seem a tad extreme, but just retain the principle: If it is built with quick tuning and servicing in mind, you will be able to fix and adapt it at will.

The ideal bike is built with variable geometry, can hold a variable amount of batteries, and can receive a variety of motors in two size of wheels.

If you get 20mph on your current motor on 36V, going to 48V on the same motor will get you ~30% more speed accounting for more air resistance at higher speeds. So that would put you at ~26mph top speed and also increase power considerably. If that did not provide enough power, a simple shunt mod could increase that another 30-50%.

Yeah, I kind of screwed that part up didn't I. In any case I'll fix it. Thanks for pointing it out.

I kind of agree with Wes with that one, Try 48v on the hub you have. It might do rather well on that. 48v 40 amps is very nice, but still more or less in the safe zone for cheap dd hubmotors.

And then, :twisted: Maybe try 72v 40 amps on it. 3000w will sure perk up those motors. If it melts it, you were planning on another motor after all right?

If I am confused, and you have a small gearmotor now, then it's close to it's limit now. But hell, try 48v on it, with the stock controller.

Heh heh, Tim Taylor style here a lot. More power. I try to give much more conservative advice for folks with no money, and one chance to get a purchase right.

But once you have two motors, it's time to go melt one of em. :twisted: Just don't ruin the battery, that's way too expensive to replace.

Seriously, at some point try that dd motor on 2000w. They really come alive then.

3 speed switch works however you wish to program it. Setting position 1 to be off is a very good idea, but not how it will be setup stock. You will need the programming cable for that.

It works by % of throttle rather than a target speed, so it takes some adjusting of the programming to hit your target speeds. I set pos1 for ~15mph, which is as fast as it should be ridden in parks around people. pos2 hits ~30mph while keeping me from draining the battery too quickly. Pos3 is full power.

Half twist is generally considered better. It sounds counter-intuitive, but bicycles are ridden much different than a motorcycle, and it helps to have a stationary grip under part of your hand.

Back