Post with a video of a cromotor over 100 mph

I think you're SOL on that one. The only people I know of who have broken 100mph on an e Bicycle are LFP and John in CR. Both of them did it with monster sized motors. Compared to their motors, the Cromotor is a cute little toy.

100kph is possible on a Cromotor, though it seems to take Lipo wired for 32S. There are some of videos of people doing that.
[youtube]goMuPDHxuyM[/youtube]

ecologymagnet said:
I've been looking for a post with cromotor above 100 mph; but I am not able to find it and I was interested.

I want to mount a cromotor, could someone pass me the link?

Thank you very much.

You are expecting way too much from the motor that we constructed for bicycles

Buy a helmet and motorcycle if you must go that fast.

There are no "out of the box" solutions for 100 Mph. You have to dig, build a heavy bike with motorcycle wheels and brakes.

To go that fast, you need sustained a lot kW I guess wich require custom cooling solution.

custom Ebike Battery can produce that power but problem is the motor and the size it require on a simple bicycle frame...

I will have to calculate the required power to be able to reach 100mph on a regular DH bike no fairing... should be 40kW+ I guess

typo 1000 to 100mph corrected, Thanks John

Doc

I'm sure Doc meant 100mph, but his guess is wrong. I've had my daily rider up to 107mph on flat ground. It's a Cannondale SuperV with a custom swingarm, but no faring, and the maximum power my controllers draw from the battery is 27kw. The draw at top speed would be less, but I can't see my CA while in my best beached whale tuck to know what my bike draws at 100.

At those kinds of top speeds very small changes in aerodynamics can make big differences. I took a few mph hit when I changed to my forks from older Marzocchi 888's to Marzocchi 888 RC3 titanium forks, because the new ones are slightly taller and the tubes are a larger diameter. I almost always ride with my backpack, and that's at least a 5mph hit in top speed.

As far as I know, no one else has broken 100mph on an ebike with a hubbie, though some of our friends in Italy were getting close with some scooter hubbies. They melted their early version Cromotor trying for high speed, but I don't think is was close to 100mph. I'm just waiting for someone to post a better number. My SuperV running a HubMonster is set up to handle even very steep mountain roads, so with minor changes it's capable of lots more.

Sorry about the poor quality. I plan to set up better with several camera angles once my DataLogger arrives. In the meantime here's my 107mph run:
[youtube]43RqRBZ1Vro[/youtube]

How fast do you want to go anyway?

John,

Thanks I corrected the typo 1000mph..

On your video it really doesn't appear to be faster than 60-70mph..but certainly not 107mph... unless the poor frame rate and poor wide angle of your camera would not well render reality and what we see in your video.. I remember that my 113kmh gps was really fast but when I saw the result on my video I was a bit disappointed because I thought it would be difficult to show how fast it was... for viewers

at 0:30 we can see a green car on the left and you seems to be just a bit faster but he is not driving 100mph..

It would be good to see the same run with a GPS John..

Doc

The race for 100mph top speed on an ebike is definitively possible but guys please if you work so hard to make that beast, do the same effort filming that with a filmed GPS !.. at least !

60-70mph what a clueless douche. I've yet to make any serious speed attempt, and just happened to have a camera aboard, when I had a nearly fresh charge and saw traffic was light on the highway, so I pulled onto the on ramp and gave it a go. It turned out that the camera mount had been flapping in the wind, so I used youtube's image stabilization which made it look slower than video already does. Since you essentially called me a liar, you need to be a man and put your money mouth is. I'll provide enough proof to make everyone happy.

PS- Running a 19V lower voltage on his motorcycle that's like a big air dam, Hillsofvalp has had his HubMonster push him past 80mph. Of course I haven't seen video of that or LFP's 108mph claimed top speed on Deathbike, but I believe them both.

PSS- Any race to 100 is long over. What I'm most sorry about is allowing you for years to post all over the internet about how you had the fastest ebike. Mine were always faster, but I let you have your day in the sun since it seemed important to you. Plus I got a kick out of you making speed record claims using big motors that didn't even surpass Sam Whittingham's pedal power record. Hell, I can top that going up a hill into a headwind. Then when I found out you were funding your electric hobby selling batteries you were getting for free, it nagged at me that you clipped me for thousands. Now that you're calling me a liar I'm really pissed, so the gloves are off.

Uhm... Subscribed... Time for some popcorn. :pancake:

Damn.. John... dont get frustrated :roll:

I never called you liar, c'mon! i just said that the video you use to say it's 100mph run just dont look so fast.. ask anybody here they will agree with me...

Maybe you did 100mph.. i dont know... but that video is by far not showing anything that LOOK to go 100mph

I know you are a great man John.. not a liar.. but someone that dont have the right camera and right video to show your real achievement... lol

Get or bring from a friend a real wide angle camera and 30+fps QUALITY and do it!

The day i got my wide angle lens on my camera every speed i acheived and filmed was looking the exact same in the video that's it...

Now please put your gloves back and relax John..

Arlo, i'm sorry, dont put the popcorn in the microwave yet.. John just did not understod my point... :wink:

That video IS looking 100mph:
[youtube]MKJQB2qOIV8[/youtube]

Doc

That's the second time I have watched the 100+ video and it looks like 70.

You are hardly going faster than the car you passed.

No big deal. I would check your speedo calibration and make another run.

Guys Im not to worried if John has made 100+ mph or not I think he actually has as Luke will back it up and has posted something about it. I know John has some bad ass hub motors. When I first built my bmx it was the fastest on the forums. I was not looking to brag about it didn't care but I did feel people who make a big deal of just over 100 km/h are really bragging about something that's kinda lame :) No offence Doc you do other good stuff for the forums and the electric revolution.

As for me I told luke I should just take a big motor and go really fast and show everyone what speed really is like 160+ km/h and then I headed down the Diy controller path so I never got around to it. But Luke ended up in a great position to do it with a store bought controller and custom prototype motor and he is over 100mph (160km/h) and here we are!

John this is a forum where people question ALL your results and accuracy so if you don't want to be called out then you need to provide better proof!
As in the time Doc was making fun of me for having a sig that posted PEAK amps on my CA... I had to prove the accuracy of my shunt under high load! The Hi peaks are severe overshoots that the cheep Chinese 24 fet I use in my bmx was able to do and last because the hub motor was like pushing current into a pillow so it all survived... The peaks did not make it faster in fact turning the power down made less heat and keeps the power up for longer periods!

Here is a link to a camera that can record from 2 lenses at the same time, this could be looking forward and at the speedo/CA etc at the same time, both streams play back at the same time in split screen.

Could be ideal for those that like to make vids of their rides?

http://uk.oregonscientific.com/cat-Outdoor-sub-Action-Cam-prod-ATC-Chameleon-Dual-Lens-Action-Video-Camera.html

A video will never render real speed. I can post a vid where I go 50 and look like it's 100, and vice versa.

That is not the point here, no one will hit 100 Mph with a cromotor anytime soon, for it is hard already to break the 70 mph with this motor. It would need to be mounted as a mid drive in a velomobile to make it possible.

I am perfectly happy with a top speed of 60 on a bike that has bicycle components, weighting sub 80 Lbs and handling fine on almost any terrain. Going faster would require compromises that I am not willing to ride with.

Someone send him an analogger for test runs

100mph can be achieved by a setup similar to the one that Luke did on one of the revision of the death bike...
A powerfull Zero 75-7 radial flux motor combined with a Size 6 Sevcon controller and 28s lipo capable of 800A for couple of second with reasonable sag can produce 70hp no prob... but 100mph on a bicycle is still crazy and the wind would be so important than staying stable on the bicycle would be really difficult. I imagine that the front wheel would lift really easy with that 100mph front wind...

I guess that 100mph with 70hp on a bicycle without fairing is really possible.

I'm just curious to see who will be the first to show us a video with a GPS speed on the display that is showing 100mph..

Doc

I put in my first post that the video was crap. Top speed was only the peak, because I let off the gas when I saw that white spot on the highway coming up which was new and I hadn't seen it before. I SAID I WAS GOING TO DO A BETTER VIDEO WHEN MY ANALOGGER ARRIVES. in that post as well. Yes the speed relative to that car looks slow, but he obviously was accelerating, since I know the speed to be correct and cars do that all the time, though typically after I pass...maybe he's seen me before and saw me getting on the highway. That video and the 103mph before were done on a cheap Kenda, so I was never in any big hurry to try again. I've since done 150kph without a full tuck and 170kph in a full tuck with my moto tire on front, but didn't have aboard camera at the time.

How fast is your homemade Zero? and anyone else's bike or moto on here? I want something to shoot for when I go to the trouble. Maybe I'll tack another couple of cells in series and do some aero treatment and shoot for 115-120mph while I'm at it. Doc still needs to put his money where his mouth is...actually some of my money.....Must be nice to do the hobby for free....Probably even got some of those X5's for free with all the shameless promotion he did. Care to fess up about that? I told you gloves are off, so time to come clean.

BTW, GPS is the absolute worst way to get speed other than average speed over some miles. I'll have it though, just to prove I'm not going downhill. Location is my major difficulty. I've got that 1-2 kilometer or so run depending where I pull off and that's it for anything close to here. From getting on, to the full stop was 1.5km, so that white spot must be less than 1km. I wonder what I need to get my bike on the local race track not too far from my house. If it's only a helmet their straightaway on the big track might be good enough. I don't think their drag strip has a half mile, and the cart track definitely doesn't have a long enough straight.

We need an offical paper backed radar ticket from the man for pruff.
I like seeing super fast ebikes franken bikes, but I wouldn't be riding the deathbike, but give me a bottle of homemade C.R. moonshine and I will give John's frankenbike a try.
John I belive you. Madman. I' m glad your wife dosn't care
where the money goes.
Now that we broke 100mph what's next ?

999zip999 said:
John I belive you. Madman. I' m glad your wife dosn't care
where the money goes.

Thanks. If wifey had something to say about that kind of thing she wouldn't be my wife. This hobby is somewhere near break even due to money save, and even if there was no savings it would be my cheapest hobby ever.

999zip999 said:
Now that we broke 100mph what's next ?

That reminds me of why I posted the video at all. The 107mph exceeded Brammo's 106mph top speed. The older 103mph video was on the return after about a 2 mile run in the 70's to 80's mph. At the time that front bicycle tire was out of balance and at 88mph the vibration made me chicken out. On the return I said screw it and held the throttle WOT thru it and hit 103. I knew there was more to give since the voltage had been knocked down during the run I pussied out.

What next? Now that I have a proper tire on the front, that concern is gone, but between the tire and new fork it's several mph slower. Once DrBass man's up and puts his money where his doubting mouth is, then I'm going to make a few bike tweaks to get my lost mph back and maybe more and do a proper video. After that will be to video the mountain run up to the wind turbines on the ridge above my house that with my kind of load would melt anything else other the Luke's Deathbike.

999zip999 said:
We need an offical paper backed radar ticket from the man for pruff.

I talked to one of the motorcycle transit cops about that, because their local group does share a radar gun, but because there would be video he said no because they could get in trouble. The traffic citation fines went way up a couple of years ago, so no way I want a real ticket.

Hi John,

I’m with Doctorbass on that one, this video proves nothing we can’t see your top speed on your CA, or even on a GPS why you didn’t show us this top speed, to prove your point?

When I see you passing pedestrian and cyclist on this video it’s seems that you go under 100 Km/h or less. I really like to believe you but there’s no proof of nothing in this video.

Like you said put your money where your mouth is and show us your top speed on CA or GPS. And you will close this debate and everyone will recognize that you’re the Sherriff of the road, good day!

Black Arrow

Back