REAR 16" Moped Wheel/20" BMX wheel in full size frame

liamcaff

1 kW
Hi guys,

So I have a Dahon Jetstream P8 full suspension fold up bike I'm just about to convert. I have Lyen 9 FET controller, CAV3, 82V LIPO Battery and I had a HS3540 built into a 16" Moped rear wheel by Simon - amazing work! I am now thinking that maybe I should put the kit into full suspension DH mountain bike... Any thoughts on this? A (medium) mountain DH bike with rear 16"Moped wheel (same size as 20" BMX wheel) with a 24" or 26" front wheel?... Just throwing it out there to see if I am not thinking of any potential problems..

Cheers

Hi Liam, I have seen this done before using some bolt on dropouts which place the axle a little lower than the original wheel to raise the frame for better pedal clearance. Or you could fit a slightly longer shock in the rear. Matched with a 17" or 18" moped front rim might look nice, they would come out at 1" or 2" bigger than your rear at 21 or 22" total height. I certainly would'nt go for anything bigger than a 24" bicycle wheel.

As pedal power will be secondary you could also use slightly shorter pedal cranks. Just got myself a nice set of 160mm one's for my bike that is having 17" moped rims. 170 or 175mm is common on most adult bicycles.

really depends where you live and the terrain you'll go in.

If you're in a city with decent road, no need to get a full size frame.

See my dahon:
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=59156

And with a 9FET controller, you're really NOT going to push the bike to its limit lol

Thanks for the reply guys.

Think I'll stick with my Dahon.

Oh and I had a typo - I have a 12FET not a 9FET :)

Hoping to start the build this weekend. :)

Back