4motus / cromotor DH bike build

crea2k

10 kW
Hi, so I'm going to be building a bike for trails and downhill etc, so I'm choosing a lot of heavy duty stuff so its built like a tank.

Bought so Far :

RockShox Boxxer RC Front Forks 200mm
frontforks.jpg

Kore Torsion Direct Mount, AL6061-T6
stem.jpg

Cromotor
motor.jpg

Fox Suspension Float RP23 Rear Shock
rearshock.jpg

Domino Twist-Grip Throttle with Microswitch
throttle.jpg

4motus Ebike DH Frame
576910101512144619936271423339533n.jpg

Saddle

Bottom Bracket

Seat Post

(cant find pics of these)

So I still have a few bits to buy.

Im holding off buying the batteries until I can work out how many I can actually fit inside the frame, but id like to get 12 x Turnigy 5000mAh 6S 20C Lipo Pack 22.2v
running @ 88.8v, so 4 in series, the rest in parallel
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=35828

I did look at the headway cells, but im not 100% sold on them really, as getting 72v would be rather expensive !.

Im also getting a cycle analyst ver 3, im trying to get Sabvoton to build in a socket for it into the controller so I can just plug it straight in.

I am getting the Max-E Controller, if I can ever get hold of them.

Still need, wheels, spokes, bars etc.
For tyres iv been looking at these, nice and wide !
http://www.allterraincycles.co.uk/Halo-Contra-24-DH-Tyre

Once things start to arrive il stick up some pics.

look into the adaptto max-e controller instead of the sabvoton.
they will be in stock soon
sabvoton is very large/bulky for its power.

adaptto controllers are much more compact, silent, great to use/program, and have heaps of awesome intigrated features.

the sabvoton dont.

apart from that. youv got some really nice gear there, im a fan of the 4motus frame.

keen to see it come together! :D

Thanks for that !, they are being very slow at replying at the moment, so will look into the adaptto max-e controller. Bought tyres and wheels today too, getting the custom sized spokes for the cromotor was great fun, but got some ordered now !.

I have found the mini-e controller here, but the problem is I dont think they ship to the UK, by the look of it they only ship inside Russia, as with the help of Chrome I can translate it all just fine, but when you checkout there is nowhere to enter country.

http://velomastera.ru/shop/show_good.php?idtov=501037&grid=1

Remember with the Sabvoton that it's rated for 6kw continuous. The heat sinking on it is good and it will do 150a from the battery and 350a phase so +10kw bursts are doable. I have one on my Greyborg Warp right now and am trying to build a kit around it.

I am pretty good at torturing a controller with a few mins of 150-200wh / mile riding and the sabvoton only heated up a few degrees C when I tried.

Bike is looking good. If you want it to ride fine DH, you need to build it light and slick. Headways are too heavy and bulky, even 3p of lipos is a lot to carry. I find sub 80 Lbs can make a fair DH ride once the rear suspension custom tuned and after you are used to being tail heavy. Above that is a bad performance handicap and handling penalty.

http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=51485&p=787892&hilit=nanoha+sabvoton#p793516

iv looked at Nanohas posts on his sabvoton and this one pretty much sums it up :lol:

to order adaptto i either pm anderym or email him direct.
velomastera is only good for specs and pics :D

So far neither of the controller people have replied to my emails, so that's crap :( , have emailed sabvoton , and although they initially replied, didn't reply any more, and iv tried to buy one on Alibaba too, but not had a reply. Also like the look of the E-max Russian one, it saves me having the Cycle Analyst, I also like the e fuel gauge the Russian one has, but they don't seem to want to answer their emails either. I aught to setup a ebike store selling both controllers, as if everyone else has the same problems it would be a killer !.

yep. sometimes the russian gang can be a little slow, but patience will pay off.keep trying.
the thing is awesome!

So......last week I did some more spending and ordered Crank Brothers bars for the bike, 24x3.0 tyre for the back and 24x2.3 for the front. Iv also ordered some of the custom sized spokes from bike builder, who queried the odd size, until I told them it was for a hub motor, so they are on the way now with nipples and tape. Iv also got a rim for the back on order, and one of these for the front :

prod22968_IMGSET

Im holding off with the brakes for now until wheels and frame arrive so I can measure up properly, 4Motus seem to be making good progress with the frame and were emailing me at the weekend about what batteries and controller I was going to be using so they could customise the bolt layout inside the battery box.

Im trying my hardest to get to get hold of Adaptto so I can order a Max-E controller, but its a bit like trying to contact the dead so far, as im not having any luck.

em3ev just custom configured a 72v 14Ah frame triangle battery composed of samsung 18650 20R lithium cells, which are capable of pretty high discharge rates. Even fits in their frame bag. First ever built but he plans to market them soon

if you can somehow get 84v 20ah(22s 10p, 20R) or so on board, you'll love it, and even more with the 25Rs

Last time I checked out packs built with the Samsung cells they were about 4 or 5 times the price of the lipo packs. Id make my own packs, but finding a legit source for the cells is a complete nightmare, thats why iv gone with the Hobbyking ones as I know at least they arnt fake.

crea2k said:
Last time I checked out packs built with the Samsung cells they were about 4 or 5 times the price of the lipo packs. Id make my own packs, but finding a legit source for the cells is a complete nightmare, thats why iv gone with the Hobbyking ones as I know at least they arnt fake.

the 22s10p 20R pack i gotcam in 10p paralelle strips from supower and cost around 1300 usd shipped as i recall.
the nanotech 8000mah packs for similar config, would be around 1000 plus shipping i beleive, that was a while ago though...

If you don't mind telling what did the 4motus frame cost you? Looks pretty cool and great equipment.

Tom

It was 720 Euro, but I had a few extra bits on it, so will be a bit more. Contact info@4motus.com for more info :) , I was going to get the Torque Raptor but it works out at double the price, and doesn't look very bike like, so less stealthy. .

ridethelightning what are the advantages of the Samsung packs over the Hobbyking lipos, other than the likelyhood of the lipos exploding more ?.

crea2k said:
ridethelightning what are the advantages of the Samsung packs over the Hobbyking lipos, other than the likelyhood of the lipos exploding more ?.

Aside from safeness, i would say mainly a much better lifetime and less cell drift. Lipos are dead after 2 or 3 years (even if you did not use them).

Looking forward to this, I'm thinking about the 4motus for a build too.

Did you go for the steel or alu frame?

Also what extra bits did you get, when you're thinking about doing a new build you need all the info you can get and 4motus seem to do all manner of extra bits but nothing is listed really on their site.

Kudos

I'm getting the steel one, as it will stand up to the cromotor better @ high power, where as an alloy frame is likely to bend once the power is really cranked up, plus its offroad too, but has to take some grief. He's putting in a bottom bracket and seat post for me and headstock for the front forks, just because I really cant be doing with faffing around with bearings etc, plus he can get them cheaper than I can. He could get the cromotor actually about £100 cheaper than me, but I wanted it asap so I could start threading it up to the rim. They are also working on a liquid cooled cromotor, but basically you can ask them to add whatever you want to the bike, they can build a whole bike if you want. You can also get it powder coated in various colours etc.

Thanks for that crea2k, sounds like a great little outfit there.

Where are you in the UK, you don't specify in your sig?

I'm slightly torn because all the good ebike frames with a ton of space for battery phasor/raptor/4motus/hpc revolution all beg for a high-power cromotor setup and I do like power myself.

However, all I really need is a bike with a ton of space for lipo. I'm happy with my HS3540 and Mac10T, I rarely go over 30mph and more often than not 15-25mph if I'm cruising around the coast enjoying the scenery.

So maybe the lighter alu frame would be better for me.

Make sure you get plenty of pics online when you get going!

Kudos

crea2k said:

from my little experience, id say there are pros and cons for both:

lipo pros:
-little?cheaper
-whisker more compact(?)
-less internal resistance = you can get huge amount of current out of them all at once, without voltage sag,heat etc.
cons:
-need to be very careful about charging/discharging
-quality reported to not be so uniform, dead on arrival cells, fast capacity loss etc.
-stress of storing them, potential fire hazard

liion pros: -more cycle life
-more durable(wont puncture so easily)
-perhaps better quality, stay balenced,less likely to go dud on you.
-dont readilly ignite your bike, house, loved ones.. :p

cons: -bit more expensive
-can get good discharge rates but not as good as lipo,slightly higher internal resistance.
-very slightly more bulky?

bottom line: the price for me is not the issue, its about quality and safety.

liion still has plenty good high discharge rates, especially when in a large watthour pack, and is so much more relaxing :D

22s10p 20r+max-e+cro in 21"wheel can get you going 80-90 km/h in a flash for a good amount of time, without even messing with ovs timing :twisted:
and thats plenty fast for me.

up steep hills it pulls like a pack of wild horses at 70km/h or so easy.

Where did you get your pack made ? , discharging shouldn't be too much of an issue as I'm either getting the Max-E controller which you can set the minimum voltage etc on or the Cycle Analyst , so that should protect it, as for charging I'm getting myself a bit metal box I can put them in. I did look at Headways too, but found that to get any decent voltage I needed a shed load of them, and they arnt overly cheap or small.

Back