Qulbix Raptor 140

Mammalian04

100 kW
Oh? What could this be?

Maybe a skinnier lighter Raptor with a BIGGER battery compartment? How is that possible? Is this Christmas? Am I dreaming?

:mrgreen:

More to info to follow from Qulbix later next week.

Attachments

• Raptor140_MotoFrameKit.jpg
    Raptor140_MotoFrameKit.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 13,218
Just as I was starting to look for a chassis.

only thing that urged me about the raptor I can't fit my 24 cells of 20ah a123 pouches in it, and its too big for me.

:)

Attached is the battery compartment schematic. It looks bigger but it is also skinnier at 140mm wide.

Attachments

• New frame volume Qulbix.pdf
    548.4 KB · Views: 214
  • Raptor 140 Battery Compartment.png
    Raptor 140 Battery Compartment.png
    10.9 KB · Views: 13,120
Aww, they should have kept the 160mm battery compartment width in my opinion.

Oh well.

Interesting, I think I see what they have done.

The area in the old raptor under the frame that is around the controller cover is basically wasted space, meaning you don't really need the clearance there as you're going to hit your chain ring anyway as that is by far the lowest point..

Qulbix basically added extra battery space there and made the frame more narrow as many people wanted a more narrow bike.

What would be interesting is if they offered a 165mm version like this one. That would have a ridiculous amount of battery capacity for people wanting to max out battery capacity and especially for people wanting to run lipo batteries sideways. Jeez, I may even consider upgrading my frame if they offered that.

I also like the colors they choose there, kind of like my colors, Black, Red, White. Qulbix must have liked my bike colors also :wink: .

Offroader said:
Interesting, I think I see what they have done.

The area in the old raptor under the frame that is around the controller cover is basically wasted space, meaning you don't really need the clearance there as you're going to hit your chain ring anyway as that is by far the lowest point..

Qulbix basically added extra battery space there and made the frame more narrow as many people wanted a more narrow bike.

What would be interesting is if they offered a 165mm version like this one. That would have a ridiculous amount of battery capacity for people wanting to max out battery capacity and especially for people wanting to run lipo batteries sideways. Jeez, I may even consider upgrading my frame if they offered that.

If they offered a 165mm of this frame I'd buy it in a heart beat.

Ah ya cheeky bugger :p I've been sitting on this info for a while now but didn't want to post it until Qulbix had officially announced it.
I have some more juicy info on it but was sent to me in a document marked for dealers only so I'll have to keep quiet a little longer.

As an aside, who do you think that first 140 you posted might belong to :wink:

I wonder if the bottom bracket length changed to accommodate standard torque sensing bottom bracket lengths?

I think I'd still prefer my Schlumpf with 10 speed than a torque sensor and 5 speed.

Hyena said:
Ah ya cheeky bugger :p I've been sitting on this info for a while now but didn't want to post it until Qulbix had officially announced it

That thought crossed my mind as well so I double checked the info I have to make sure there was no request to keep it confidential. I still have a few questions of my own but I am waiting for their official announcement and data before I bombard them with questions that may be answered on the website anyway...

Hmmm...interesting. I've not even received my frame yet and could be regretting not holding off a couple of extra weeks...
I guess the only 'issue' I would have with width is not sure if it will fit 2 18650 cells lying down...?
Also wonder if it might not look a bit too 'stocky' from a side view angle. I know the current frame is one wide sucker from a top down view, but form the side I actually think it looks pretty sleek...this will have a bigger profile.
Nice to see Qulbix are continuing to develop there duct though, that's all one can ask really...

Dark Knight said:
Hmmm...interesting. I've not even received my frame yet and could be regretting not holding off a couple of extra weeks...
I guess the only 'issue' I would have with width is not sure if it will fit 2 18650 cells lying down...?
Also wonder if it might not look a bit too 'stocky' from a side view angle. I know the current frame is one wide sucker from a top down view, but form the side I actually think it looks pretty sleek...this will have a bigger profile.
Nice to see Qulbix are continuing to develop there duct though, that's all one can ask really...

I agree, so far, I like the looks of the 165 frame better, especially around the neck, but the 140 will fit my wife better I think... and we want to match because we're mushy like that.

Am I the only one who noticed the frame looked odd on the post from greenroad some days ago? It looks like they have the new version of the frame already. I was looking over that frame closely in the pictures and comparing it to mine and wondering why it looked different.

I guess it will depend on what you want here. If you don't expect to fill the battery compartment with 26 6s 5000 MAH packs and have over 2.8KW of battery power, which most people probably won't do that, then there is nothing wrong with the old frame.

If you are not going to use LIPO packs and build your own LIFEpo4 , then you may be better suited with the new frame as it has a wider opening and may fit more cells as you don't need the wide 165mm frame.

The other issue that a lot of people brought up is that if you want to pedal then you may want the more narrow 140mm bike. When I pedal with the 165mm using the motorcycle seat I don't have any issues with the wide frame.

I wish I could drive the 140mm version and see how the more narrow frame is. But I have no problems with the 165mm frame using the motorcycle seat. I also wonder how the motorcycle seat 140 will feel as it is more narrow than the motorcycle seat on my 165mm frame. The motorcycle seat I have on my 165 frame to me is just perfect in comfort.

I think my raptor in the old frame looks awesome, but I wouldn't mind having the extra space in the new version if it was offered with a 165mm width.

http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=48089&start=1375#p907879

file.php

You're right offloader that main battery compartment looks quite large in the sense long.

Side by side I prefer the frame of yours, but even more so the frame of the bomber as it doesn't look so full bodied almost like that of a dirt bike like this new frame. The less the frame is one high length piece from the head stem to the swingarm the more I think it still looks like an ebike not a dirt bike with a frame cover. I can understand the benefits of a thinner frame, but that's really beginning to look too full framed. My 18650 2600wh pack weighs 13kg and that's at the weight limits for me. Pedaling with the bike seat also feels normal even with a 165 wide frame. I am 183cm though and I sit just high enough that I'm on my tippy toes while the bike is leaning and I'm sitting.

Maybe this extra space could be used to bring a controller back inside the protection of the frame with a forced air scoop or fan blowing across the bike (from side cover up front to side cover towards back, so only panels are cut for air ducts, not frame.

That would eliminate the need for the front controller guard and maybe make it a smaller profile from the side (though I actually like the look of the guard.

Dark Knight said:
not sure if it will fit 2 18650 cells lying down...?
It should do but I will confirm shortly. I doubt the 140 measurement was a coincidence, it was likely made with this express purpose in mind.
Also wonder if it might not look a bit too 'stocky' from a side view angle.
That was exactly the first thing I said to Qulbix when I saw the design - the side profile looks bulkier which I think is a negative but it depends on the application. If you're going to fit a moto seat and go riding it places you'd otherwise ride a dirt bike then it's no biggy, but if you're trying to pass it off as a bicycle in national parks and the like I think you'd be in trouble.
I've actually submitted some redesign suggestions to Qulbix which I hope they will take on board, most likely as a completely different model.

Mammalian04 said:
Maybe this extra space could be used to bring a controller back inside the protection of the frame
Yep, I was thinking this too!
The guard does look cool but overall things are starting to get a bit bulky.

To me it seems most custom made E-bike frames take advantage of all the room they can, like phasor and greyborg, they look bulky from the side. Stealth bikes seems to not do this.

To be honest, I don't think it matters that much for making the bike look like a bicycle or not when you have enclosed side covers. Most people won't look twice at your bike unless you're traveling at very high rates of speed. If they did look closely at your bike then they would know it wasn't a bicycle no matter what ebike you drive that has steel enclosed side covers. That is why if you're biking someplace your not supposed to, slow down and start pedaling when you see parks police or police.

I kind of like the look of the bulkier ebike because I like functionality over looks. When I look at all that space being used, to me the bike looks more high tech and designed more efficiently.

With placing the controller inside the battery compartment, can't you just mount a Max-E controller in the battery compartment and not cool it as supposedly those controllers don't heat up?

QuestionMan said:
With placing the controller inside the battery compartment, can't you just mount a Max-E controller in the battery compartment and not cool it as supposedly those controllers don't heat up?

That would be ideal, but.... no project I ever embark upon turns out ideal so I am just expecting the worst. :roll:
Seriously though, I think over-building the pack with some "higher discharge cells than I need" should keep the battery cool-ish and if the MaxE controller holds up its end of the promise, I might not need venting. I think my heat problem with my slow speed riding/climbing will still be in the Cromotor (as discussed in other threads). I might try oil cooling if the other guys trying it are successful (e.g., no leaks, no excessive heat transfer to stator, etc.).

I like the new frame, but absolutely love the color paint scheme!!!! It is a better use of space to make it thinner and use the room behind the front tire. However I do not like the square hole pattern more than the circular of the seat. I have always wanted the controller guard to have circular holes also. But at least now they match. The new frame does look more moto than bike. But, don't think will make much of a difference to fooling anyone.

Hmmm... no official announcement this week. Maybe delayed for marketing?

I hope to get the tech data soon so I know what parts to order for them!

Drunkskunk said:
Its Ugly, and sort of looks like a pregnant ebike.
But Awesome! The 160 looks better, but I see the advantages of the 140.

After staring at the pictures a while, I am thinking the extra stickers might be contributing to the pregnant look. I will try mine with only the original style stickers first....at least on the white one.

I shouldn't have that problem on the black one as black is supposed to be slimming right? :mrgreen:

Mammalian04 said:
After staring at the pictures a while, I am thinking the extra stickers might be contributing to the pregnant look. I will try mine with only the original style stickers first....at least on the white one.
After building my stealth fighter without the stickers first I think have an all plain side does contribute to the bloated look. The raptor even more so in this case because the side profile IS bigger. I think you need SOME stickers, maybe just not the complete side plastered in them. I plan to experiment with my while one too.

As for the release info, yes it seems to the official launch is still yet to come but qulbix have created a new FB page (as the old torque bikes one couldnt be renamed)
and they're made a bit more info public on there.
A few of the big reveals are

* It's 140mm, obviously and the controller bash guards are revised slightly
* It's lighter - you'd expect that being 25mm narrower but it's actually significantly lighter than you might expect, which is great news (I'll let them tell you exactly how much)
* Those with keen eyes would have noticed in the first photo posted of the 140 that there's 2 holes above the bottom bracket shell. This is for moto style foot pegs for those that want a true e-moto experience.

https://www.facebook.com/QulbixPerformanceElectricBikes/photos/a.1436030563338318.1073741826.1436010876673620/1436107366663971/?type=1&theater

Back