DIY insta-legal switch installed

gazmunch

100 mW
Last night I fulfilled a long-held desire: I installed a hidden switch that, when pushed, would restrict my bike to the UK legal limit of 15mph.

I used a locking push switch from Maplin:
http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/black-locking-push-switch-n00ar

I wired it up to my Lyen 12 Fet controller's board, one wire to X1 and the other to ground (I had already configured speed 1 appropriately using the programming cable). Then I mounted it under my saddle (as you can see in the pictures), in such a way that when my gel seat cover was put back on, you can't see it, but you can still operate the switch. The wiring all follows the battery connection, so you'd really have to know what you are looking for in order to know that it's there at all. I may even tape that section of battery/switch cabling up with black electrical tape.

Works like a charm, and I'm really pleased with this simple hack.

(I know that not all of the screws are in the controller in the photos - they are all there now that the job is finished)

ss1.jpg

View attachment 3

ss3.jpg

ss4.jpg

ss5.jpg

Another good way to do it is with a reed switch. You have to use the type that goes off when you bring the magnet to it (dual mode reed switch). You can position it inside some shrink-sleeve or anywhere else it can't be seen. When you want to go legal, you remove the magnet. Then there's no switch anymore. Using an operable hidden switch is still illegal. Without the magnet, it's difficult to claim that it's a switch.

The 18 FET controller I have (and the other programmable controllers) have 2 modes of operation, the other one to that used above (speed mode:switch mode) just needs a momentary switch but only has 2 modes. Set the default to legal speed, and the other to full speed. When the controller is switched off it resets to the original setting so you don't have to remember to switch it over, just turn the bike off then when switched on again it's legal. Fit a handlebar kill switch and that will quickly and discretely reset your bike to legal speed- and a handlebar kill switch can be handy anyway!

With thanks to will newton for the following description of the speed mode parameter:
18. SpeedMode- This controls the behavior of the ESC's speed switch
0: Switch mode allows you to change speed on the fly using a 3-speed switch (Low, Medium, High)
1: Cycle mode latches the value at power on. In this mode two speed settings are available, speed 1 is used when the Infineon is switched on, pressing a switch the Infineon will change to using speed 2, the speed 3 setting is NOT available in this mode. This mode could be used in 2 obvious ways, fitting the switch in a hidden place on the ebike what you have is a parental mode or an on road off road mode, by setting the startup speed to a speed that would be suitable for children. Then you can let your children have a ride without danger then when you want to use it you press the switch and you have full speed. The alternative is to set speed 1 to the road legal speed, if you go out riding to your favourite off road track then when you get there press the switch you have full power for a ride off road where the law does not apply, if on returning you forgot to return to road legal speed and see the police anywhere around just switch off the controller switch back on and you are back to road legal speeds, when you get home count yourself lucky and tell yourself off for not resetting when you went back on the road.

19. Speed 1- The low speed setting. Can be set form 30-120% of top speed

20. Speed 2- The high speed setting. Can be set form 30-120% of top speed

21. Speed 3- The mid speed setting. Can be set form 30-120% of top speed

I've wired up an RFID switch I ripped from a car imobiliser. The transponder sits in my pants pocket. If I'm more than 3m away from the bike, it defaults to 16mph and there is no way you can overide it with the coded transponder.

or wire the hidden reed switch between the SL pad and ground...SL is 'Speed Limit' as per the screen grab of the programming interface.

So set the speed limit to what ever you want..as soon as you remove the magnet, the switch closes and enables the Speed Limit function. This also disable the 3 speed switch.

This the means that you can still use the speed function in 3 or 4 speed mode as you wish..and then have the overriding SL function

amigafan2003 said:
I've wired up an RFID switch I ripped from a car imobiliser. The transponder sits in my pants pocket. If I'm more than 3m away from the bike, it defaults to 16mph and there is no way you can overide it with the coded transponder.
I've wondered about getting one with that range but all the ones I've seen with range information or have asked about have a range measured in a few millimetres. Do you have a link to an RFID with the longer range you give?

And how somethign like this is wired up. I'd like RFID ignition swithc system.

I guess the RFID unit onm the bike needs its own single cell batery supply, but how do you make it drive a rely (either mechanical or solid state) to activate either the 'ignition' or speed limit switch?

NeilP said:
And how somethign like this is wired up. I'd like RFID ignition swithc system.

I guess the RFID unit onm the bike needs its own single cell batery supply, but how do you make it drive a rely (either mechanical or solid state) to activate either the 'ignition' or speed limit switch?
Some units are pretty complete and just need wiring in with a 5 or 12V supply. A small battery would last ages, or use a small voltage converter from the main battery (even a feed from an existing one because the load is small) , others may need more work because they are bare boards: a supply like just mentioned, maybe a relay or switching transistor depending on the load it can handle, and a case. Either should be fairly straight forward.
If we can find a link to an RFID with that range we should be able to sort that out. The RFID switch must be battery powered to get that kind range- it'll be impossible for the key to induce power at any range more than a few millimetres.

Back