DIY Heated E-Bike Grips Problem

Hi,

This may be the wrong season to ask this but unfortunately winter is fast approaching and I need to fix this problem. So...I have heated grips on my bike. They run off of the full battery voltage from a fused accessory line on my motor controller which I added in.They and are made out of nichrome wire. Some day I will make a tutorial on making them even though its rather simple. They are really awesome in the winter time, much better than chemical hand warmers but there is one problem that I have been having with them. The problem is having a connection between the moving part of the throttle and the non moving part of the grip.

I like to have the throttle heated as well as the grip so I have been using a piece of copper wire to bridge the gap but thin wire breaks in less than a week and 16g wire breaks in about a month. I want a permanent solution.

The red part shows where the connecting wire keeps on breaking:

Grip.jpg

Any ideas?

I can't really explain how to because when I did it I didn't take pictures, but the moving part of the throttle isn't very hard to disassemble, you could put the wires going by inside and drill a hole, and at the fixed part you make a parallel connection

What I decided to do was make some more space between the grip and the throttle and instead wrap the wire around so that it does not flex as much when turning the throttle. So far so good. It will need a long term test though to see if it holds up.

Heated Grip.jpg

Back