Controller sock

waynebergman

100 kW
controller sock.jpg

Found this neoprene sock at the Thrift store today. I was told at the cashier it was for keeping your wine cool so looks like it could also come in handy for something else.....bonus! I am proudly sporting its price tag in the photo. One Canadian dollar.....Awesome!

I am thinking if my controller was mounted in front of the steer tube to keep it cool and out of the way I could just carry this little noeprene bag in my pack back for when it rains. I figure if I have my wires from the controller exiting the bottom of the controller and my mounting harness also from the bottom of the controller I could just slip this over top to keep the rain off the controller.

Worst case, my white wine will be nice and cold on those summer picnics. Maybe I also need one of these bags big enough for my battery pack.

Doesn't neoprene have high insulation qualities?
Here in the desert, my controller would positively cook in that bag.
Maybe in nice cool BC it won't be a factor.

Yes you are probably right, its not going to make its way out of the picnic basket for e-bike duties out in the dessert. In my world its all about staying out of the rain for 8 months of the year.

My controller has been mounted on the front of my seat post since I got the bike running last September. Haven't had a problem with all the rain in the winter.

Thanks for sharing your idea.

But I just like to seal the controller and using some stainless steel screws 8)
Has been running for several years now without any issues.

Just put some extra sealant on the controller. Neoprene is not waterproof btw. That bag would work great though, for keeping a battery warm in the winter.

Dogman is right about neoprene not being waterproof. However that property may make that sock a good thing for hot climates. Just soak it in water before you ride. Evaporation would cool the controller. Of course you still have to seal the controller from water. :)
otherDoc

Back