Waw shimano zee range

Jonboy

1 kW
Looks good to me .. Thinking of getting my parts together for my new raptor.. Rear mech . brakes (4 pot) 203mm & crank set.. Dudes any bad news about this stuff? Was going to go full "Hope" bling but can't really see what I'll get an advantage (I'm an old bloke just ripping round for fun .. BTW)

Your thoughts are welcomed.. :wink:

Cheers

Jon

The Zee is Shimano's budget line for actual offroad products. They make lower end stuff, but it's not really usable. So the M640 quad caliper hydro brakes are their low end stuff. And very good Shimano disk brakes are only slightly better than tektro, so that's not saying much.

For a heavy bike I would skip Hydro, unless you go with something like Magura. They just aren't able to tolerate heat like a good set of mech brakes.

Drunkskunk said:
The Zee is Shimano's budget line for actual offroad products. They make lower end stuff, but it's not really usable. So the M640 quad caliper hydro brakes are their low end stuff. And very good Shimano disk brakes are only slightly better than tektro, so that's not saying much.

For a heavy bike I would skip Hydro, unless you go with something like Magura. They just aren't able to tolerate heat like a good set of mech brakes.

This doesn't make a lot of sence to me. Yes Zee is the budget line. I've had entry level shimano and had no problems with stopping power.
So the shimano saint with ice discs arnt at the level of magura. Where's the the evidence to back this up. I've just purchased saint brakes so they're not at the same level as magura. Is this in quality or stopping power.

I'm using the Zee crankset on my raptor build. At $140 it's good valve. The raptor also requires a 83mm bottom bracket which is supplied with the crankset. Just make sure that you order the correct model.

Another thing as well you need the 44mm headset.

The only reason why I went for the saint over the Zee brakes was because the zee brakes didn't gave the adjustment on the leaver.

Drunkskunk said:

Which Mechanical discs would you suggest?

Back