DC Charger and HK Hardcase Batteries

calab

1 MW
I have been looking at chargers and I am wondering how I go about hooking it up to a laptop or desktop computer for the Power Supply?
I assume having a 200W 10A is a decent setup, better then a 80W setup.

HobbyKing™ ECO6-10 200W 10A 6S Bal/Dis/Cyc Charger w/ acc. $40

The ECO6-10 has an "Auto" fuction that sets the feed current automatically.
The ECO6-10 includes an array of charging plugs and wires to suit almost any application and comes with JST-XH balancing plugs so you can charge and balance your ZIPPY/TURNIGY packs easily.
Input power is 10-18v, perfect for car batteries or a pc/laptop powersupply.
Features;
• Microprocessor controlled
• High power and High performance circuit with maximum power of 200W
• Delta-peak sensitivity (NiMH/NiCd)
• Individual cell balancing
• Li-ion, LiPo and LiFe capable
• Ni-Cd and NiMH capable
• Large range of charge currents
• Fast & Store function, allows safe storage current
• Time limit function
• Input voltage monitoring. (Protects car batteries at the field)
• Data storage (Store up to 10 packs in memory)

Specs:
Input Voltage: 10~18v
Circuit power: Max Charge: 200W / Max Discharge: 25W
Charge Current Range: .1~10.0A
Ni-MH/NiCd cells: 1~18
Li-ion/Poly cells: 1~6
Pb battery voltage: 2~24v
Weight: 480g
Dimensions: 143x119x42mm
Note: Power supply not included.

Also I got these batteries Turnigy 5000mAh 4S1P 14.8v 20C hardcase pack. Is having the hardcase a bonus or con? Will have 6 in total for 10Ah pack for around $150 plus $50 s/h.

I think there is a question in there somewhere..
I am wondering how I go about hooking it up to a laptop or desktop computer for the Power Supply?
A laptop supply can work if you find one of the correct voltage range ( 12-18 volts) and high enough power rating to suit your charger ( 200+ watts ?)
Unfortunately most laptop supplies are rated for about 90 watts, so that would limit you charge rate.
You could modify a desktop psu , if you have the resources and skills.
like this..
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=28632&p=415185&hilit=computer+psu#p415185

Is having the hardcase a bonus or con?
That depends entirely on what you want and expect you batteries to be doing.
Hardcase is a waste of space and weight for some, or it can be a big bonus if you plan to give them a rough time in a bag etc .
Also one of the cheapest ways to buy lipo currently.
Odd question though, now that seem to have them already ??

Yeah that computer psu idea is a little more work then I thought,even though I am kinda a computer guy. Made my own computer years ago, with a ton of research. How about this unit? Turnigy T-20Pro Quality 16A Power Supply 180~240V (220W) for $27
Is it suitable for the charger? Voltage and Watts seems on the ball.

I was just searching for the cheapest $ per Ah per Voltage battery on their website and that seemed to be it. At 20C seems to be alright, but Id assume its half that, but still better then 2C rating some other batteries have for ebikes. Plus the shipping and handling is way less then the units from China.

That would work,
.. but realise you wont get a full 200w from your charger if you dont supply 18 V input.
But then again you should not expect that charger to output 200W without overheating !
Also, as you plan on a 8s, 2p pack, why didnt you choose an 8s charger ?
With the Eco6, you will have to split the pack to recharge it.

Though it might cost more initially, hard to go wrong with a Meanwell S-350 Switching power supply. They come in various voltages. I see no reason why 350w of 12-14 v won't power up your charger to 200w.

But if you can find an 18v meanwell, better for sure.

i had a 150W meanwell that had 18V on the output and gave it to duane to use on his icharger. actually i had borrowed duane's icharger and the meanwell worked well for it so i gave it to him to keep as part of the balancing charger.

dogman said:
I see no reason why 350w of 12-14 v won't power up your charger to 200w.

i have never had much luck using those Eco6 chargers off 12-14 volt supplies
They have to step up the voltage and if running at max amps they get HOT.
Anything much over 6-7 amps output continuous and they release smoke ! :cry:

Ok, my equally cheap HK accucell 8 chargers don't do that. I get a decent 150w each out of them, sharing a 350w meanwell 12v.

I shouldn't have generalized, since I don't know that particular charger.

Back