need battery help

alix47

1 W
I got a 36v 500watt brushless motor and wanted to no if this battery would be good http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__21417__ZIPPY_Compact_3700mAh_8S_35C_Lipo_Pack.html thanks in advance

You have to consider a lot of factors prior to sizing you battery. If you want the standard 36V using Lipo you should use 10s which would give you 37V nominal, 42Vpeak and a Low Voltage cut off around 32-30V. Lipo can be dangerous and takes special precautions like a battery monitor during use, proper charging and proper handling to prevent electrical discharge when making connections or when dropped or damaged, aka plasma.

The generic mah rating to consider is typically 1000mah/mile of ride. This can vary a lot based on grade of path/road taken, power/efficiency of bike and weight of rider.

You should look at the lipo section in the battery forum as there are many discussions on this topic there.

-rich

Thanks for your help rick I have a look as this is my 1st build I don't no much about what battery to use

We need to know more about your controller as it will tell us the demands for a battery. The controller can kill a battery if it's amp demand is set to high. Maybe a link to your kit.

The motor size doesn't matter. You have to match your battery to the controller. It's what draws current from the battery, not the motor. Typical 36V controllers will run on 10-12s lipo. Some 36v controllers may take up to 15s lipo.

You need something like a pair of these as a realistic battery choice.

http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__68822__Multistar_High_Capacity_6S_16000mAh_Multi_Rotor_Lipo_Pac_UK_Warehouse_.html?strSearch=1600%20mah%206s

You need to think about the additional cost of a charger, power supply, cabling and connections, and onboard monitoring system. Lipos are not the best choice for a noob unless you have good technical understanding. By the time you add up all the costs, there's simpler and safer batteries to compare with them.

We need more info on where you're located and what controller you have to give the best advice.

10s if the controller is limited to 36v. Two 5s packs, connected positive to negative makes a 10s.

If it's capable of 36-48v, and many are, then two 6s packs and run 12s gets you more power and speed,

Call it 44v. Charges to 50v.

Read a LOT about safe storage and charging this stuff. Never store it or charge it in a place you wouldn't build a fire.

the 36v controllers should work up to 15S of fully charged lipo. you can buy 5 of the 5,000mAh lipoly packs. then split one down the middle so you have two of the 3S sections, then add those to two 6Ss packs in series(12S) to make a total of 15S and 2P wide. i strip off the shrink wrap to make the pouches live longer and assemble them into a battery pacck with the hardboard eendplates to keep them flat in compression to make a 15S2P battery from the lipoly and use a 15S BMS to protect it and balance it.

Attachments

• DSC01702.JPG
    DSC01702.JPG
    68.2 KB · Views: 825
  • DSC01711.JPG
    DSC01711.JPG
    82.8 KB · Views: 825
  • DSC01712.JPG
    DSC01712.JPG
    77.1 KB · Views: 825
  • DSC01713.JPG
    DSC01713.JPG
    88.7 KB · Views: 825
I'm in Staffordshire uk and here is what I got http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Electric-Wheel-Hub-Motor-Speed-Controller-36v-500w-Bicycle-E-Bike-Trike-Quad-/191374702815?pt=UK_SportGoods_CyclAcces_RL&hash=item2c8ed238df

I have tested it with two 24v drill batterys and it worked but was slow about 5mph max due to the batteries only being 1.3ah

In a 26" wheel that motor should do ~20mph on 36V, and ~24mph on 48V fully charged batteries. It shouldn't even work on 24V with a 36V controller as voltage would be below LVC.

Back