36V 800watt versus (2) 24v 500watt motor

fabieville

100 W
If I use one MY1020ZX Dayton 800w (1HP), 36V DC Planetary Gear Motor, 500 RPM would it be more powerful than if I use (2) MY1020ZX Dayton 500W, 24V DC Brushed Planetary Gear Motor, 500 RPM?

I am planning to rebuild my ebike but I am kinda confused as to which kit I should use. I am abandoning my (2) 24v 350watt gear reduction unite my1016z3 motors.

Also currently I have a 24v 25ah lifepo4 with BMS. If I were to use the 36v motor could I buy a 12v 25ah lifepo4 with bms and connect it with the 24v 25ah lifepo4 with bms that I currently have to make it a 36v 25ah lifep04 battery pack then use a 36v lifep04 charger to charge the complete string of cells?

Would this cause a issue on the cells if the 2 bms were different brand/type or it doesn't matter?
if I don't have a 36v lifepo4 charger but use a 48v lifepo4 charger to charge the pack would it cause any issues?

The 36v motor should give 50 % more torque and power.

You could do what you suggest with your batteries, but it's a lot of messing about and you'll have a very heavy battery. Modern batteries with branded 18650 cells are about half the weight for the same capacity. If you can afford one, it'll make your bike much more pleasant to ride. There's also this one, which is one of my favourites. It can easily give the current you need and it's pretty cheap:

http://bmsbattery.com/battery/445-36v-15ah-lithium-ion-electric-bicycle-battery-pack.html

What about comparing the same 36v 800watt planetary geared 1hp brush motor with the bafang 8fun 48v 750watt brushless motor, which one is more powerful the brush or the brushless one?
Which one will give you higher mph on a flat terrain and better climbing ability to climb steep hills?

Can you give me an estimate max mph on a flat terrain that I will get from each motor on a 26" mountain bike with a 180lbs rider?

This is a website with the bafang 8fun 48v 750watt motor:

http://eclipsebikes.com/bafang-8fun-bbs02-drive-750w-motor-p-1100.html

Crank-drive motors don't have a speed as such because the top speed is dependent on gearing. Hub-motors have a fixed top speed, which depends on the motor windings and the battery voltage.

The two types of motors running with the same current and voltage will have approximately the same power, so if they have the correct gearing/windings, they'll go at approximately the same top speed. The main difference between the two is in the way they ride. You have to do a lot more gear-changing with the crank-drive and you get a lot of crashing of the gears if you're not careful. The extra tension on the chain wears out chains and sprockets pretty quickly, while as a hub-motor is more relaxing and more or less maintenance free.

For low powered motors, say 15A 36V, the crank-drive has a good advantage of climbing power, but if you were comparing the Bafang BPM geared hub-motor with the BBS02, both at 48v 25A, IMHO the hub-motor gains the advantage because it has sufficient torque to get you up very steep hills; however, it has a fixed top speed of 24 mph for the code 14, which has good efficiency for climbing. You can get faster ones, say a code 11 for 30 mph, but then you compromise efficiency during climbing, so long steep climbs could cause over-heating.. If you don't have steep hills, that wouldn't be a problem.

I'm not familiar with your hub-motor, but I'd say 500rpm is too fast for its power. A 300rpm one would be a lot better.

IMHO, choose a crank-drive for fun and sport riding and a hub-motor for commuting and touring, especially if your commute is above 10 miles.

For low powered motors, say 15A 36V, the crank-drive has a good advantage of climbing power, but if you were comparing the Bafang BPM geared hub-motor with the BBS02, both at 48v 25A, IMHO the hub-motor gains the advantage because it has sufficient torque to get you up very steep hills; however, it has a fixed top speed of 24 mph for the code 14, which has good efficiency for climbing. You can get faster ones, say a code 11 for 30 mph, but then you compromise efficiency during climbing, so long steep climbs could cause over-heating.. If you don't have steep hills, that wouldn't be a problem.

Thanks for that, I was under the impression the BPM wasn´t very good at climbing hills from what I´ve read elsewhere.

Back