Repair leafbike 90% efficiency motor phase wires

cwah

100 MW
Hello,

I have for some reason striped the phase wires on my leaf bike creating short:
2015-02-27%2023.12.26.jpg

2015-02-27%2023.12.40.jpg

I'd like to cover the wires with some heatshrink or something to protect against them touching each other.

For that I'd like to open the motor cover, I removed bolt from 1 side and the cover can spin on itself... but I'm not sure if I can remove that from the left side?

Shall I force it?

Thanks

The best way to remove it is by using a gear puller.

See here: http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=48099#p714294
you can also try using some screw drivers to put between the cover and the motor just a little bit inside, but you need to take care not to touch the windings.
Star with a little one and go increasing the size of the screw driver to get more and more space between cover and motor.

It's hard to get it off because of the magnets. Also when you put in back on you need to watch out your fingers.

Thank you both guys, here is the size of my motor:
Screenshot%202015-02-28%2002.07.11.png

http://www.leafbike.com/products/e-bike-hub-motor/gearless-20-24-26-700c-28-inch/newest-48v-1000w-rear-spoke-hub-motor-electric-bike-motor-871.html

Shall I get this 250mm gear puller?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/450521-2-or-3-Arms-Press-Pulley-Gear-Wheel-Hand-Puller-100mm-to-350mm-Variation-/281301477030?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&var=&hash=item417edfe6a6

Or do I use a hammer like this picture?
file.php

From your photo i would do none of the above. I would clean up the wire from the outside removing the spring cover that does nothing, remove the wire group cover as far back as you can, then put some thin heat shrink over the individual phase wires that are damage to insulate them. Then wrap the end of the axle and start of the wires with electrical tap to stop them moving and put some glue lined heat shrink over the whole lot for good measure.

If you REALLY need to pull the hub apart you should be able to pop it off using a flat head screw driver to pop the side cover off. If that is not working for you. Put the wire side screws back in, remove the screws on the other side. Support the wheel on a couple of bricks around the perimeter so that the axle is still ~3" off the ground, put something on the axle with the wires coming out of it that should be facing upwards so that you can stand on it with out damaging the wires anymore. Stand on the axle only and the core of the wheel will pop out from the magnet ring under your body weight and this will expose the wire gap side you want to get to. This is the ghetto version of opening a hub motor.

FYI. I STRONGLY recommend you don't open the hub unless its your last resort. Specially not for the damage it looks like your wires have.

yes make sense. I'll try to isolate the wires first and see if it works. I am just fearing that if I do a half job, I'd have to do it again later and wanted to do something nice at once. But it make sense to fix it quickly first

cwah, did you crash it? Looks like you gave the motor cover a good scrape.

I tried to use amalgamating tape on the wires but I'm still having issues:
2015-03-07%2014.10.28.jpg

But I still had issue with the "03 - error" of my controller which means wiring issue.

So I tried to remove the cover of my motor. I tried to remove all bolt from both covers:
2015-03-07%2014.04.52.jpg

2015-02-27%2023.12.40.jpg

I've noticed the cover does spin on itself but I can't remove it. I can't understand why. The cover is aluminium (magnet doesn't fit on it) so it wouldn't be the magnet of the motor that are restraining the cover.

I tried to pull up from the axle on the drive side, it felt it was moving a bit but no good result.

I now realised that the motor is a bit "stuck" when I tried to spin it :(

I don't understand what I did wrong. What should I do now???

Back