Mac10t or bpm 500!?!?!?

Hi, so I have a dilemma I have a Mtb ebike and my journey to work is about 26 ks 1way it includes city riding trail riding 2 steep hills, I'm looking at the Mac10t for its around performance spare part's are readily available and Paul at eV is a decent chap but then some one recommends the bpm 500 and now I'm lost I have 12S lipos 5c 20 amp. A Infineon 6 fet 25 amp.controller.
Any recommendations? Thanks in advance

The bpm also has spares available.
I have seen false figures that put a margin between the two, but I'm not convinced that the mac is worth double. Or anything more at all. It does have the bigger axle though, which can't be grumbled at. So if I was going to physically abuse it I would say mac.

I'm very interested to hear peoples thoughts on this to. It has puzzled me for a while. I think the size of the wires might be different.

I forgot to mention the upgraded mac is the one I'm after with the temp probe and upgraded phase wires. I just want to future proof it a little should I decide to up the controller and battery with out to much cost

I switched from a Q100 w/ a DNP free wheel to a Q100C (CST) and I love to be able to go back to my smooth shifting 9=speed cassette. The DNP is rather a chunk.
Elifebike has the BPM CST for ONLY $200. It is a very low speed wind (201 @ 36V), so it would only do 18 to 19 mph, but it climb like no tomorrow.
http://www.elifebike.com/peng/iview.asp?KeyID=dtpic-2013-9M-C45T.9DMVU
You mention you are mostly on trails, so that should be fast enough.
If not, BMS Battery has the CST in a mid-wind (270) that would do 23 to 24 mph on 12S.

I just moved from a 15A controller to a 23A one, powering the 270rpm CST (the BPM with cassette splines). I also moved from 12s to 13s. It's a motorcycle. It don't assist me, It just takes over. The previous 12s 15A top speed was around 24mph, as a 260 bpm would be. It pedaled round to 28 if I built up some rhythm. Actually 27 really tucking, unassisted.

It's a good job I have 5 power settings. Level 1 is compatible with other cyclists. Level 5 is as fast off the mark as people drive their cars. Often faster. Are you meant to get the gap on a cycle?

I have 2 Bafang cst motors.One 250w and one 500w.They both have 20 mm stator.Maybe you measured an old motor Spinningmagnets?

When i had first got the idea of a ebike to get me to work, potter around on the weekend with the mrs and generally have fun on the trails in the forrrests i thought one ebike would do it all it dawned on me recently that the reality is i need 2, a monster for my 50 km round trip to work and something nice and light for everything else, as luck would have it i have a road bike that i could throw a lower end motor in it also has a rack for the battery built in.

friendly1uk said:
I just moved from a 15A controller to a 23A one, powering the 270rpm CST (the BPM with cassette splines). I also moved from 12s to 13s. It's a motorcycle. It don't assist me, It just takes over. The previous 12s 15A top speed was around 24mph, as a 260 bpm would be. It pedaled round to 28 if I built up some rhythm. Actually 27 really tucking, unassisted.

It's a good job I have 5 power settings. Level 1 is compatible with other cyclists. Level 5 is as fast off the mark as people drive their cars. Often faster. Are you meant to get the gap on a cycle?

This is what im looking for, i have seen with the 3 speed switch on the mac kit and then 3 levels of pas i can control the power level quite nicely but to be fair coming home from work after a 12 hour shift..yeah motorcycle it is..

what kind of range do you get friendlyuk?

motomech said:
I switched from a Q100 w/ a DNP free wheel to a Q100C (CST) and I love to be able to go back to my smooth shifting 9=speed cassette. The DNP is rather a chunk.
Elifebike has the BPM CST for ONLY $200. It is a very low speed wind (201 @ 36V), so it would only do 18 to 19 mph, but it climb like no tomorrow.
http://www.elifebike.com/peng/iview.asp?KeyID=dtpic-2013-9M-C45T.9DMVU
You mention you are mostly on trails, so that should be fast enough.
If not, BMS Battery has the CST in a mid-wind (270) that would do 23 to 24 mph on 12S.

this would be perfect for the second bike im thinking of making, as i have a 36 volt battery and charger already, its because of this post i had the idea so thanks motomech!

If you want futureproof, the 500w Bafang CST is a good option because it takes cassette gears. You get a really nice bike if you pair it with the S12S controller, which makes it really user-friendly. You get 5 (or is it 6?) levels of PAS and current control. You could still use a S12S with a MAC, but there doesn't seem to be any point. MACs are better if you want to go with 30 to 40 amps.

To me, the choice comes down to how fast you wsnt to go. Up to 25mph, it's the BPM or CST. Above 25 mph, it's the upgraded MAC.

I have 2 Bafang cst motors.One 250w and one 500w.They both have 20 mm stator.Maybe you measured an old motor Spinningmagnets?

It was definitely a BPM. Thanks for the info on the 20mm wide stator on the CST, that is useful info.

Longwise, I had 1.6kg of lipo onboard. 5ah of hk 4s bricks. It always managed the 7.5 miles of track path and highway it was sized for. Typically in 22 minutes. Often still one third full. At 13s, I don't know yet.
I like the s12s D8veh posted, and I think the s12sh is 35Amps. Same hi-tech display, with definitely more than 3 power levels. The s12s is what I use with the cst now, at 13s. At 12s I used a 3 speed led display. They target one of 3 speeds. Using full power to get there(turning the power down gradually as you approach target speed). At 12s it gave me 12mph, 18mph(which was nice) or unlimited(24) in a 26" wheel. The new controller can do the same, and target different speeds. However full power at every launch, is useless in some conditions. The new one can instead forget speed and instead, give different power levels. I think it's 5 levels, 20% 40% 60% ... And just 20% is enough to take the weight out of cycling. You reach around 18-20mph without trying.

Thanks for the stator info lads. I feel much better educated now. We don't really see gearbox failures with either do we? Though I believe the bpm has the better box. Led by the mac advert claiming wider gears than two other named manufacturers, but not Bafang.
I think the cst came after the bpm and was better made. Then came the bpm2 which brought it up to the same standard. D8veh knows.
I'm happy with my cst and don't believe it needs more than the 23 Amps available to it. They take 30 though. The mac is more robust but weighs about the same. It doesn't look like it comes with a plug, but could it offer battery savings, through a gain in efficiency over the Bafangs. It's a more costly motor, but maybe it pays.

I really like the bafang cst 500 i think im going to use one in my roadbike, it only needs a small battery as its just for pottering around at the weekend, thanks for all the replies guys its amazing how much you can learn from one simple question, friendly i also use lipos but 6s in hindsight i wish i had gone with 7s for 14s next time around ill try them and see if the difference is worth it, speaking of batteries ive been carrying mine in my rucksack as i was searching for a better way to mount the, i had bought a rear rack that mounts on the seat post but with 7kg of batteries i wasnt to happy with it plus i dont want a broken seat post in the nuts. i wanted it to be strong but detachable quickly as i charge in work, so i turned the rack upside down and turned it so it sits between my knees and sits on the frame at the other end and is supported..its pretty solid so far and i unclip the seat and the whole thing comes with me

Most display units have a battery meter calibrated for 36 or 48v. That is 13s. 12s and 14s miss the mark, meaning the battery meter won't work. I see no gain from 12 or 14s when it means the display won't work properly. Making you find something else that will work. Which is more to carry and compromises reliability by adding more stuff to go wrong.

12s is good when you want to over-volt 36v kit, and know the controller won't quite cover 13s. Otherwise it seems illogical. Also the bms market for 48v is ample, but any more and your getting limited. The ebike standards are 24 36 and 48v, with 72v the outsider. Anything else is an odd number really

Yes i had tried watt meters and inline voltage checkers and all that gubbins, in the end i settled for a cycle analyst tells me all i need to know and a lot more, if you dont have one its a worthwhile investment for sure i plan to use the hub temp throttle roll back on the v3, the only gripe i have with it is that it is fixed to the bike you cant unplug it quickly and take it with you apart from that its great

Nice :)

I imagine a plug&play version is on it's way, if Justin wishes to maintain his place at the top of the market. I have not looked, but with a remote shunt is there any heavy cables to disconnect, or would a small multiplug be an easy addition? I feel the same about the latest lcd displays. They look like an easy hit to an addict. Some are plug&play but the brackets are not quick release.

Yeah it's easy enough to put a plug on it but the fast detach bracket is what I'm missing I might bodge one from a old phone holder, I would certainly fee better with it not in the street at work for 12 hours a day

The MAC has more poles and the stator is wider. Far more torque on a 26-29" wheel than the BPM.

The BPM is cool for it's low pole count if you plan on using a 20" wheel and will probably produce equivalent output due to that.. but only in a small wheel.

em3ev.com sells all the spare MAC parts you'll ever need. No problem getting spares. Freewheels aren't going away anytime soon. They will probably continue to produce them for another 10 years.

neptronix said:
The MAC has more poles and the stator is wider. Far more torque on a 26-29" wheel than the BPM.

The BPM is cool for it's low pole count if you plan on using a 20" wheel and will probably produce equivalent output due to that.. but only in a small wheel.

em3ev.com sells all the spare MAC parts you'll ever need. No problem getting spares. Freewheels aren't going away anytime soon. They will probably continue to produce them for another 10 years.

Just an FYI... your choice in freewheels with a 9 speed rear is very limited for the MAC motor if you're a strong pedaler (90kg power rider)... I've already trashed a 9speed DNP in under a year (tore the ratcheting mechanism for 7 8 and 9th gear. I'm temporarily running a SunRace with 13T high gear, but pedaling is fruitless at speed =( I've ordered another 2 DNP's with the knowledge it will last maybe 1 year each and keep on replacing them until something better is available.

that said... I'm in the MAC 10T camp for providing oodles of power whilst still feeling like a bike at 30mph... 14S lipo with 40A controller for a bit over 2kw. Soft start programmed in to keep the front down on take offs. Perfect commuter (pedal like a bike when you want to) and high speed cruiser when you feel slack.

longwise_suck said:
... speaking of batteries ive been carrying mine in my rucksack as i was searching for a better way to mount the, i had bought a rear rack that mounts on the seat post but with 7kg of batteries i wasnt to happy with it plus i dont want a broken seat post in the nuts. i wanted it to be strong but detachable quickly as i charge in work, so i turned the rack upside down and turned it so it sits between my knees and sits on the frame at the other end and is supported..its pretty solid so far and i unclip the seat and the whole thing comes with me

OK, now that deserves a picture.

I'm not sure what your design requirements are for the road bike, but for small and light puttering around on the weekend, the Q100 is an option (if you don't need fast and lots of power).

ebike battery mount2_opt (1).png

ok so a photo of aformentioned seat post battery duudahh, the bag is a video camera bag padded and is sourounded by pockets which i placed thin ply in, the battery sits in standard rectangle drain pipe

edit, i forgot to mention the strap wraps around the seat post as a fail safe should the carrier ever fail
2nd edit, i also forgot to mention there are 30 amps of hk lipos sitting in that bag at 12s

I dunno why you need 9 speeds. I've always had a 7 speed and used only 6 speeds available. 7 speed DNP isn't too bad. Or you can scour the used wasteland for old shimano megaranges.

neptronix said:
I dunno why you need 9 speeds. I've always had a 7 speed and used only 6 speeds available. 7 speed DNP isn't too bad. Or you can scour the used wasteland for old shimano megaranges.

I dunno... It was standard 9sp on the bike and I couldnt bring myself to bring it down to a 7 speed. Might have to do it later if I trash these next 2 DNP EPOCH 9 speeds.

Back