Front hub motors - the latest and the greatest

Hi,
I was just wondering if anyone knows the latest electric motor releases, new models?

Q100H seems to the lightest in 350W range, it has high torque (reduction ratio 12.6), but it is few years old already. So, I thought maybe there has been some progress in the motor technology and development?

The only innovation since geared brushless hub motors appeared is the Xiongda 2-speed motor, but the disc model requires 110 mm dropouts, limiting it's application.
Everything else would be better termed "refinements".
The Q100H is a refinement of the Q100, but other refinements either don't apply the frt.mounts, such as the CST feature, or can be found on larger geared motors that can accept more power than should be used on the frt. of a bicycle.

The Q100H is about the latest and greatest in small motors. There really isn't much to improve in the concept, other than improving build quality which would come at a higher cost. Or adding features, but those are always a tradeoff.
So other than the move to brushless motors 10 years ago, and the move to larger diameter motors 7 years ago, there isn't much difference between the modern hub motor and those first used on ebikes more than 120 years ago. It's a fairly mature technology at this point.

The big improvements are coming in the batteries. 10 years ago, SLA was the standard Ebike battery. 8 years ago NiCad and NiMH were at the new standard. 5 years ago LiFePO4 was the best Ebike battery going. 2 years ago, Lithium Cobalt Lipo was the best answer for high power needs. Now they're old news, and NCA and NMC cells are the newest and greatest. We'll probably have something else even better in 2 more years.

There is also some improvement in controller tech, though those were fairly solid to begin with, for most applications. The features keep getting better, but the top of the line isn't really that much better than the $20 cheapys from eBay in terms of basic function.

The older MXUS and it's newer twin, the Outrider are somewhat more robust than the Q100H, but they are noticably larger too.
I ran a 1000 Watts though a MXUS for several years, not sure my Q100H would last that long at those levels.
Sine wave controllers are the real deal. The SO6S on a Cute is eerily quiet and smooth.
But I.M.O., the SO6S is too fragile for the Q100H and the Slcd-3 display is more complicated than I care for.
I would like to see a 9-FET sine-wave in the 17 to 20A range with a simple 810 style meter.

Back