Ford MoDe: Flex ebike

LockH

1 PW
Ummm.. Started out in Victoria BC Canada, then sta
Seen on The Detroit News:
http://www.detroitnews.com/story/business/autos/ford/2015/06/24/ford-car-sharing/29205831/

In part:
Separately, Ford announced MoDe: Flex, its third electric bicycle that runs on a battery and folds and stores inside any Ford vehicle, where it can be charged while stowed. Ford is not currently making the bike available to the public.

... and here:
http://www.engadget.com/2015/06/24/ford-mode-flex-ebike/
ford-mode-link-2015-06-24-01.jpg

Fancy rigid frame,but i cant buy one,1. because im broke and 2. its only for the ford snobs.

Hehe... Dunno cost-wise, but locally (if one has a thing termed a "good credit rating") can finance purchase of one "off the shelf" ebike for about 1/2 of monthly pass on pubic transit. (And sorry if I spelled "public" wrong here. Again.)

Tehy titled the article wrong. Should be:

"Ford to create busy e-bike for commuters". :(

Based on the picture they give:
29906170001_4320489862001_Ford-Bike-1-thmb.jpg

I think the designers are thinking of large-aircraft pilots, who generally don't need to use most of the instruments below and out of sight, cuz the plane does most of the work for them most of the time. When they do use those "busy" instruments, they are often not in any kind of "traffic" situation that requires their attention outside the cockpit. When situations *do* arise that require both, it sometimes leads to crashes or mid-air collisions, when they don't do it "right" and have one pilot watching outside and one monitoring instruments.

On a bike there is only one "pilot" and attention takes significant time to shift from a display down low to back up high / forward.

People are people, and often are easily distracted.

Bicycles dont' really "need" a dashboard...but if they do have one it needs to be in the normal field-of-view so that no complete attention-shift is needed to get information from it.

And it needs to be simple, instantly viewable and understandable, with guages for one thing not looking anything like another, so things can't be confused with each other (a common problem with multi-instrument displays).

That display has a whole lot of information on it, whcih the rider will have to sort and concentrate on to interpret to find the info they want, if it isn't just speed or whatever the other gauge is (cant' tell what unit it says, print is too small).

I expect they would not be using an actual tablet for the display once it's production, because then it could not be used as an actual commuter in a lot of places. Rain would be bad, as would direct sun/heat in places like Phoenix, especially in summer (where I've seen LCDs *in the shade* permanently blackened, let alone LCDs or OLEDs in the direct noonday sun). Then there's the inevitable crashes or falls, which would have a good chance of smashing the screen.

I appreciate their effort to "change" things to make it a better "experience" for a commuter...but I don't imagine their present state of things is as helpful as they think. Anyone already commuting may not need that info, and anyone new to riding/commuting needs stuff they can't (shouldn't) be looking at while riding, and will probably need to stop to safely interpret the display, for things like maps, performance data, etc. Otherwise they're probably going to end up with an increase in bicycle-involved accidents of various types, from the very minor to fatal.

Hopefully they're loooking into that sort of thing,too....but somehow I doubt it. Too many engineers and marketers are looking at how pretty they can make things, how many gadgets they can cram in, and not how safely useable something is. :/

Yeah... I deliberately don't have a dashboard on any of my ebikes (the iZip and Tailwind have a battery status display, but it's able to be safely ignored, and my daily driver has nothing but a power indicator).

They won't tell me anything useful, and they'll distract me. Do I want a Cycle Analyst showing me instant power draw? Yeah. Do I want that distraction from the minivans, Priuses, and other vehicles that refuse to look before pulling out? Nope.

I like their concept of "nav through bar buzzers," and an overtake buzzer might be neat, but... really, the mirror works fine for that. And the vast, vast majority of trips on my bike are places I know how to get, or can afford to stop and check a map once or twice.

After many years not wanting voltage reminders or speed-o-meter drama,this fjord-e-bike display gives me the shakes,but will be fun for tech savvy, page disabled 404 error code shenanigans,i think i just dated myself to windows 95 :) ..

I just hope the guys that designed the Ford Think e bike have retired. That bike was built like it was designed by Ford. Yuk.

I'd be a lot more excited by a new bike designed by Subaru or Honda for sure.

Thieves downtown will love the new trend, wear your I phone or I pad on the handlebars, where I can grab it and run. :mrgreen:

It looks very expensive. I want Ford to stay out of this arena. With ground breaking ideas like mounting an iPad to the handle bars they should probably stick to designing stationary ebikes, hahaha.

Does anyone else see the irony here? They are making a vehicle that that is designed to fit in the trunks of their all their cars? Is this going to be some clever loophole in the system to meet the standards set by Obama for cars to exceed 54.5mpg by 2025?!

Hehe. A "gas-powered" ebike. "Lossy", energy-wise, to convert fossil fuels to electricity. Plus added energy to transport added weight of ebike.

Actually, a last mile vehicle allowing a car to stay out of the center of a big city is not a bad idea.

Park at whatever handy free parking exists, then ride the last 2-3 miles into downtown where parking is 20 bucks a day or simply impossible. I did a similar thing to this for a summer, till I got a motor able to climb the hill to my house without melting down. It actually worked ok.

But if you car/then bike commute, wouldn't you just put a bike carrier on the car? Duh.

I saw vid about this Ebike on CNET. FWIW, it's technically a folder, so you dont need a bike carrier. Since it (hehe) literally breaks in half, another front section could be purchased to change the style of bicycling one requires (road to MTB), hence the name "MoDe".

dogman dan said:
But if you car/then bike commute, wouldn't you just put a bike carrier on the car? Duh.
Except...if you have to carry teh bike around a lot, where you stop and don't need it for parts of the trip, you run a greater risk of it not being there when you come back on an external carrier. ;)

That's true. But ford was touting it for commute by car to the city, then ride downtown on the bike. Folders do have their place, and lots of them are out there for that kind of use already. But If I have to load a bike on a car twice a day, I'll take the hitch mount rack over folding it, or removing a wheel.

I was just thinking about the commute, not any other stops along the way, assuming there is a grocery out in the burbs where you started from. People that busy tend to shop one place, drive through. But it would be better to fold the bike and store it out of sight in a trunk if you want to stop for a beer on the way home for sure.

Still hate the idea the bike won't run without your phone though. How many phones get dropped down the toilet during a workday?

Mostly, I just have a hate Ford cars thing. Definitely biased. I've owned chevy's, fords, hondas, VW's, dodges, jeeps, and subarus. Ford by far the worst cars.

But this bike does look like it has lots of good features, wayyy better than the ford think E bike I had. That bike ate controllers in 50 miles on average.

Well, since part of what you're wanting to do is create/rebuild websites and other public communication stuff, I think you really ought to invest in time (and maybe money) on seriously improving your communication skills.

It'd be good practice to make yourself do this in every post you make here. ;)

They give the Ah of the battery but don't mention volts, making the information useless. Either give volts or give watt-hours.

Found another vid:
[youtube]x2wPP5fsN3k[/youtube]

Back