Manitou SX TPC fork Disc Brake adapter

adamsavage79

100 W
I have old pair of Manitou SX TPC forks, and I would like to put Disc Brake on them. However, it seems this wont be as simple as getting a router and disc brakes. The post seems to be spaced out further than current forks. My buddy said I need Tab to Post Adapter, but I can't find anything like that on google.

Below are the forks I plan to use.

Thanks!

Attachments

• 26996962_10155473972594195_330216561_n.jpg
    26996962_10155473972594195_330216561_n.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 1,886
adamsavage79 said:
My buddy said I need Tab to Post Adapter, but I can't find anything like that on google.
Wierd. Maybe something with your google preferences (or previous search patterns?) When I do a search on "Tab to Post Adapter" just as you typed, it comes up with a number of results, most of them relevant.
https://www.google.com/search?q=Tab+to+Post+Adapter%2C&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

The 'shop" option gives these:
https://www.google.com/search?q=Tab+to+Post+Adapter,&num=100&newwindow=1&source=univ&tbm=shop&tbo=u&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjTu9X33OrYAhVP42MKHVZMBHIQsxgIKg&biw=1114&bih=901
many of which are relevant, though I don't know which one you need,as that may be dependent on which calipers you intend to use (and is also dependent on rotor size).

The spacing on the mounts are not the standard spacing you have on forks now. I did some digging, and it seems they are 68mm. Would that cause any problems for me ? As for brakes and rotor, I'm not sure. I know I want a good pair of Hydro Disc Brakes, that would be on pair or better than Shimano XTR V-Brakes. I currentlyu have the XTR's on my bike and they can bring me to a stop very quickly, even at speeds of 40-50 kph.

adamsavage79 said:
The spacing on the mounts are not the standard spacing you have on forks now. I did some digging, and it seems they are 68mm. Would that cause any problems for me ?

If the spacing is not the same between the posts on your fork and the holes in teh adapter, it wont' work. So you'd need to measure the spacing on yours (if the 68mm isn't your fork's), then pick the caliper you intend to use, then pick the rotor size you intend to use, and then get an adapter that fits all of those.

As for brakes and router, I'm not sure.
BTW, what is a "router" in relation to brakes? It's not a term I've seen associated with them.

Do you mean "rotor"? The actual disc itself?

I know I want a good pair of Hydro Disc Brakes, that would be on pair or better than Shimano XTR V-Brakes. I currentlyu have the XTR's on my bike and they can bring me to a stop very quickly, even at speeds of 40-50 kph.
I don't know enough about good disc brakes to help pick some, but there are a lot of threads about brakes that have good info (in between the arguments):

https://endless-sphere.com/forums/search.php?keywords=hyd*+dis*+brake*&terms=all&author=&sc=1&sf=titleonly&sr=topics&sk=t&sd=d&st=0&ch=300&t=0&submit=Search

or

https://endless-sphere.com/forums/search.php?keywords=dis*+brake*&terms=all&author=&sc=1&sf=titleonly&sr=topics&sk=t&sd=d&st=0&ch=300&t=0&submit=Search

or

https://endless-sphere.com/forums/search.php?keywords=brake*&terms=all&author=&sc=1&sf=titleonly&sr=topics&sk=t&sd=d&st=0&ch=300&t=0&submit=Search

I was thinking possibly the SHIMANO XTR BR-M9020. I will have to read through the threads to figure out what I would want, or what would be good enough for me. I know the XTR's require a special adaptor though.

I did some digging, and it seems I need this part: https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/brakes/a2z-adaptor-pm-to-is-160mm-to-1805mm-adpmf69/

The fork is old, but the brake mount is common post mount. Your best option is to buy a used big brake, Magura Gustav, Shimano Saint, Hope M6... for they are commonly post mount and use large surface pads. If you want new brakes, check for the Shimano Zee or Saint, Magura Mt5 or Mt7, Hope Tech 3 E4 or V4.

Post mount brakes are better, easier to fit and adjust. The specific bracket for your fork won’t be available, but many other would need little mod and a custom one pretty easy to make.

MadRhino said:
The fork is old, but the brake mount is common post mount.

Earlier the OP said that the posts were spaced at 68mm rather than the current 74mm standard. That does sound like the old Manitou proprietary standard, so the remedy would be to find some old-Manitou to IS adapters. This puts constraints on what calipers and rotors will work, though.

If it were my bike, I'd go for a good set of linear-pull brakes with a booster arch and Kool Stop pads. That means using a real rim, though-- not the one in the picture.

Chalo said:
Earlier the OP said that the posts were spaced at 68mm rather than the current 74mm standard. That does sound like the old Manitou proprietary standard, so the remedy would be to find some old-Manitou to IS adapters. This puts constraints on what calipers and rotors will work, though.

If it were my bike, I'd go for a good set of linear-pull brakes with a booster arch and Kool Stop pads. That means using a real rim, though-- not the one in the picture.

I did fit those before, with slotted post to post brackets, or making some myself. Not a complicated job and easy to make a precice robust mount. Post to IS adapters can be used too, but usually require a pile of spacing washers and yes, limit the choice of brakes to mostly smaller ones.

Chalo said:

I don't need a higher end wheel. I used the ebike more like a Road bike. It's to get me from A to B. I'm debating on either a different pair of forks, or just sticking with the V brakes I have now. I'm currently using older Shimano XTR V-Brakes, as my buddy told me they are the best you can get for Vbrakes. They have lots of stopping power, and are easy maintenance.

As for the spacing. I bought a ruler and measured from the inside of the mounts. I got 2.5 inches or 63.5mm, if that makes any sense to you guys. Measuring on the outside, I get 8cm.

adamsavage79 said:
I don't need a higher end wheel. I used the ebike more like a Road bike. It's to get me from A to B.

It has nothing to do with high end or not (the wheel in the photo seems more than nice enough), it's about having a rim with braking surfaces on the sidewalls. The rim in the picture looks like it would only work with coaster brakes, drum brakes, or discs.

The dimension that matters is between the bolt hole centers. If it's 69mm, that's old Manitou proprietary size. If 74mm, that's current post mount.

You are right, I didn't even notice that. The flat part of the rim seems too small for Vbrakes. This is why I wanted to go Disc, as it's getting harder to find bikes or wheels that work with Rim Brakes.

I measured again and I can confrim it's 68mm. It it's 2mm short of 7cm, so makes it 68mm.

If you want to keep your rim brake, it is much cheaper to lace a new rim, than buying and fitting a good disc brake.

I think I may of found the adapter I need.

http://www.torontocycles.com/Selling/Adapters.html

A2Z PMF69 - OLD Manitou 69mm
68mm Post Adapter to IS Caliper Adaptor

This Adaptor allows you to run your IS caliper on 68mm
Post mount forks. OLD Mantiou Mount.
You will nned a 20mm larger rotor than previously fitted

Post Mount Size centre to centre: 69mm
Compatible with: Mantiou forks prior to 2001 Models

Yes, that's the one I pointed out before. Like I said, it won't fit all calipers or rotors, so be discriminating.

MadRhino said:
If you want to keep your rim brake, it is much cheaper to lace a new rim, than buying and fitting a good disc brake.

That is an option I'm thinking about right now. Make a wheel with a disc brake hub, and rim brake rim. This allows me to still use disc brakes in the future.

adamsavage79 said:
So with that adapter, I would need an another adapter to fit the common breaks ?

Most likely you'd attach the A2Z Manitou-to-IS adapter, then to it you would attach the IS-to-74mm adapter that comes with your brake kit, then install the caliper. Hopefully it's just as simple as that, and you don't have to do any corrections for rotor diameter or dropout-to-rotor face spacing.

I would get the adapter and mount it, then go to a bike shop and test fit an industry standard sort of brake, like Avid BB7 or Shimano Deore. That way, you don't have to buy it first and then see if it fits right.

I solved my problem. I picked up a older paid of Rock Shock Uturn, with a wheel, along with a pair of Hydo disc brakes. I simply need a need to replace the through axel, as the quick release clip on it, is broken. It also came with a pair of hayes nine breaks, and two 8 inch rotors.

It seems the part I need for the fork, is SRAM Maxle Lite.

Back