ME0907 With Sine wave controller?

magudaman

10 kW
Has anyone tried using the ME0907 with a sine wave controller? I am currently using a kelly and it is the noisest motor I have ever used. Open frame and that metal can acts like a drum driving around. My efficiencies are ok but not as good as I would hope. How much improvement in efficiency could I expect by going sine wave?

...check your hall-phase wire combo - you may have a false positive, which may account for the extra noise and lower efficiency.

Willow said:
...check your hall-phase wire combo - you may have a false positive, which may account for the extra noise and lower efficiency.

I am pretty sure I am on a good hall combo but I will try a sensorless unit to check RPMs, noise, and no load power to see if there is any difference. These motors are notoriously noisy on square wave controllers.

http://electricmotorsport.com/ev-parts/motors/brushless-motors/pmac-ssr-me0907-pmac-motor-24-48v-6-hp-cont-15-hp-pk.html said:
These patented axial flux motors are designed to work with sinusoidal (sine wave) controllers such as the Sevcon Gen4. NOTE: We do not recommend the use of square wave controllers with these motors. This may reduce durability and efficiency of the motor, as well as void it's warranty.
Of course these are the only guys saying this. I was under the impression sine wave controllers were more efficient in general as they follow how the motor would naturally like operate, ramping the power up on each phase as the magnet rotates through.

The motor I have is actually the replacement for the ME0907 which is model ME1305. From what I am reading they should be almost identical in internal design, it just got a bigger fan and metal rear housing.

If I remember right, then "6-step rectangular waves" makes about 15% more heat in windings compared to sine.

Miles said:
If they were designed to be sine driven, that makes sense.

Don't all 3 phase motors appreciate sine wave verse square wave?

magudaman said:
Miles said:
If they were designed to be sine driven, that makes sense.

Don't all 3 phase motors appreciate sine wave verse square wave?
No

It depends on the back emf produced by the motor it self. If the motor produces a sine wave then a sine controller will be most efficient.

The motor is designed with a sine wave controller in mind. That's what John over at motenergy tells me. Otherwise on a trapezoid controller, it is wicked loud in every video i have seen of it.

Well John also said the Kelly Actually do a pretty good job with the motor, so I guess I really won't worry about unless I want to reduce the noise.

I ran my ME0907 for quite a while on the Kelly, and then switched to the Gen4, mainly because I coudn't get enough power with the Kelly I had ( their ratings seem to be a bit optimistic) but the reduction in noise was huge. The load clicking noise completely disappears, just a quiet hum on start up. Down side - the Kelly is really simple to set up.

charlesb123 said:
I ran my ME0907 for quite a while on the Kelly, and then switched to the Gen4, mainly because I coudn't get enough power with the Kelly I had ( their ratings seem to be a bit optimistic) but the reduction in noise was huge. The load clicking noise completely disappears, just a quiet hum on start up. Down side - the Kelly is really simple to set up.

I see around 10KW intermittent with my kelly currently its a 350a KEB version running at 51v. I was looking at trying out one of those Sabvoton sine wave controllers since they only run $350 to my door for ~8kw with software and cable for programming. Intriguing.

Back