Kelly KDS Mini Brushless No current limiting!!!!

magudaman

10 kW
The short is the Kelly KDS Series motor controllers don't have battery side current limiting. The long is below:

I spent that last 3 day getting my scooter all wired up to a tee, the way I planned on keeping for life. Try hard to get proper cable management and such. SO I get to programming my new Kelly brushless controller and get the battery current set at 20% of 60a controller so 12a and 100% phase current just to test it out. Take the scooter for a spin and popped a fuse. Hmm Hmmm 52 amps shows on the watt meter. Replace the fuse and drop the phase current down to 50%. Popped my fuse again 35 amps on the amp meter. Now I just turn the phase current down 20% and hey I don't pop the fuse. Heck the scooter won't even propel itself.

So I contacted Kelly and Fany told me this:
Hi Justin,

The continuous current can not be adjusted.
We only can adjust the max motor current and battery current in the user program.

You can try to limit the max motor current and max battery current also.

Thanks,
Fany

Say what? My max battery current is set at 12 amps yet I am seeing 50 something amps!

So basically the end result is I am going first try to return this controller and if they don't take it back I will just contest the charge.

Kelly's website states the features for the controller :

Configurable limit for motor current and battery current.

I also notice this controller doesn't state current monitoring on the input like the larger controllers, so I am guessing that is why this controller really can't do it. But the description page that falsely state the capabilities.

Currently if I set the controller correctly with roughly 25amp phase current I have no hill climbing ability or start up torque yet can pull the full 1200 watts if I can make it up to full speed.

Bummer.

AFAICR it's been discussed a few times about Kelly controllers doing Phase current limiting vs battery current limiting, and that they rate tehir controllers on the phase current (not battery) because of that. I don't know if that applies to every model of their controllers, though.

I tried to find some of the discussions, but all I could do was narrow it down to maybe in these
http://www.endless-sphere.com/forums/search.php?st=0&sk=t&sd=d&sr=topics&keywords=Kelly+current+limit+phase
in which I found one mention of it in the 7kw motor thread, but I know it's also been discussed elsewhere. I just can't remmber the details.

Back