GoPed HoverBoard - Alien motor , Lyen controller , 8s

Guy H

100 mW
This is my Goped Hoverboard after all the hard work

the motor :
Alien 6374 180KV , with ss411a interial sensors
This is the best motor for his size. work for few month without any problem and give me lot of power

Attachments

• image (1).jpeg
    image (1).jpeg
    46.1 KB · Views: 2,626
  • image (4).jpeg
    image (4).jpeg
    49.2 KB · Views: 2,626
  • image (5).jpeg
    image (5).jpeg
    56.8 KB · Views: 2,626
Hi,

Which Lyen controller did you use?

Did the motor came with the sensors wired (plug and play?) or you have to do it yourself? Is the aluminium for the heat dissipation or just to mount it on the goped frame?

Did you set/modified the controller or just ran it stock the way it was received?

Hi
You can see in the pictures that I put the sensors by myself
3 hours of hard work but it was worth it :D

aluminum is a material that conducts heat great so I chose to use it but also hold the motor on the Goped mount

the controller is lyen 9 Fet .. I will continue the thread soon

Hi GuyH,

I am glad that you are building a similar project. From my previous experience at 8S the Mamba Xl2 works well. With 8S I was getting 20-22 miles/h but I wanted to stay in 30 miles/h range. That is why increasing voltage was the only way. 9S worked for a month with speed @27-30 miles/h. After 1 month the ESC just stopped working.

I talked to Matt (Recumpence) and he has been using the Castle Creations 160 Edge for @ 5 years with no issues. You only have to set the esc properly. The only problem is the $225 price tag.

Many people on the forum recommend me to use bike controllers because of the reliability and much better price. I have tried Lyen's controllers and both 6fet versions did not work with my SK3 6374-192kv motors plus Edward Lyen has the most horrible custom support ever. I tried 60 degrees, 120 and 17,14 deg. but the motor would stop when I passed 30-40% throttle. Tried various angles, wire combinations and still the problem persisted. Thank you so much to Gwhy whom always replied promptly to all my questions and helped me getting to resolve this issue.
I contacted Lyen over the phone, email and he never replied. ...Future buyers be aware!!!

Did you tried the motor with the 9 fet under load or it is still work in progress?

I mounted a fan propeller on the other end of the motor pulling air inside the tube and replaced the motor sprocket with one tooth smaller. Temperature dropped from 120 to 88-90 degrees. The motor was barely worm at high speeds. The fan pules a lot of air and cools the motor better than the heat sink (tried the heat sink at the beginning of the built). I also made some extra halls in the goped tube so the air could escape faster/easier.

one thing I can say about the service and support of Edward Lyen and Bruno from AlienPowerSystems
They helped me and answered all my questions before buying and after .. I will use this opportunity to thank them for this

My Goped is working great in every day use for few month with this setup , no problems at all...
the top speed at charged battery was 49.5 km/h and the motor not so warm after long ride
you can see in the Batt-Man (the display of the max data/minimal voltage) that max Amp was 57.5A and I get around 30km ride for 20A battery

Maybe you need better motor.. the Sk3 heat up without hard work from my experience
which sensors did you use with it ? E0design ? if yes , did you ordered the 59 mm sensor board?

Yes, Bruno was helpful and Lyen not so much. I send the ESC back and asked him to send a ESC that would work. After that no answer....:(
Now my concern regarding the Bruno 12S esc I reliability. He mentioned though that the repairs are free which is AWESOME I would only have to cover for the postage.

Lyen sent the controller with the senors attached but still the motor would stop after I passed the throttle over 30%-40%. I placed the sensors externally at 120, 60 and 17,14 degree but still no success.

Did you do any modification on the 9fet Lyen controller or it was just plugged in and worked.....?

When you placed the sensors inside the motor how did you choose the first slot?

Is there a big difference between the SK3 6374 and the 6374 from Bruno?

Thanks!

I am surprised that he sold you a 9fet controller and I specifically mentioned that is for a goped scooter application. He should of mentioned something about your project or at least say that yours successfully works.

no modification , just program it to 50A continuous current.
it's It's not easy to install sensors inside. need to check how he wound
make slots with Dermal at right places and glue the sensors with heat-resistant and vibration adhesive

before I did it i I read the material written here:
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=15686

Is there a big difference between the SK3 6374 and the 6374 from Bruno?
yes! the SK3 Is several levels below alien motor

I am surprised that he sold you a 9fet controller and I specifically mentioned that is for a goped scooter application. He should of mentioned something about your project or at least say that yours successfully works.

I really dont think he needs to remember ..lot of people buy from him controllers
Besides the controller 9 will not fit , you need to cut it 0.5cm on each side

It sounds like the problem of your scooter is only the sensors. post picture of your sensor board
as i told you before , your motor is not 6374 but 5974 and that changes everything

controller and battery:

*the battery made from 8X turnigy 20C 5000 mah 4S --> total 8S 20a battery
*the controller is lyen 9 fet sensored - I had to cut 0.5cm from each side of the aluminum box to fit it
*also inside you can see the regulator of the flashlight and the alarm/remote key
image (3).jpeg

Other improvements:

*ddm chain tensioner
*rear brake
*2400lm flashlight
*fiberglass deck (soon it will be covered with carbon)
*ADA Racing handlebar parts
*cruise condrol switch

Attachments

• תמונה.JPG
    תמונה.JPG
    80.6 KB · Views: 2,491
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    59.1 KB · Views: 2,491
  • image (5).jpeg
    image (5).jpeg
    60.1 KB · Views: 2,491
  • image (4).jpeg
    image (4).jpeg
    58.8 KB · Views: 2,491
  • image (2).jpeg
    image (2).jpeg
    68.7 KB · Views: 2,491
  • image (1).jpeg
    image (1).jpeg
    69.5 KB · Views: 2,491
I used a belt drive and was working on welding a rear hydraulic caliper mount when the ESC broke.
I have a Nitecore Cobra C25 flashlight with 860 lumens and every time I get around people or a car I hear somebody swearing and getting blind by it. The 2400 lumens flashlight is definitively cool but a bit bright.
Here is a chart of current and watts pulled with a Castle Creation Mamba Xl2 esc.
I hope I get this sensors thing placement/controller figured out soon.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 1,594
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 1,594
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 1,513
Back