Electric Skateboard Build Please Help!

ant1975

10 mW
Hi as you can see i am new to the forum. I currently have the Yuneec Ego Cruiser electric skateboard which I love but now is a little to slow and not great up any sort of incline.
I would like to have a go at building one of my own and preferably a friction driven one. I really like the idea of the Kickr version where it can be put onto any board and I also like the penny board one I have seen on here.
My downfall is the technical knowledge regarding parts etc.
I would like to build something that could pull me up half decent inclines as well as have decent range of around 10 miles plus. Please could someone give me an idea of what motor, batterys, speed controller etc I should be looking at?
Many thanks in advance.

Anthony

Friction drive won't ride up hills as great since it doesn't really transmit torque effectively.

The penny board was just a standard 29" deck with the standard eboard components.

The typical setup is 6S and/or 8S. 6S being cheaper and more common. I recommend 8S.

Motor - Any 50mm, 63mm with low kv under 300 is ideal. The lower kv the more torque and the less top speed and vice versa if the other way around.
Batteries - (2) 4S 5000mah packs from HobbyKing.
Speed Controller - 6S ESCs are readily available one of the main reasons most people go 6S. 8S is not as available and will cost more. There is the new beta VESC which is open source and currently being tested. It's not ready to buy just yet but it will be one of the best controllers available. In the meantime, you can get this ESC if you want higher than 6S. http://diyelectricskateboard.com/product/torqueboards-120a-12s-esc-car-opto-hv/

6S is doable if you have 2 motors or dual motors and/or high output battery packs and push more amps through.

If you want a 20mph board on flat ground 6S works but if you want to climb hills it's another story.

The pennyboard was a standard 5065 280kv motor and 7S voltage. I assume the gearing ratio was perhaps 1:2 or 1:2.5 but that's a guess.

Great many thanks mate , if I went down the 8s route is there any speed controller that I could use to get breaking as I get with the Yuneec board I have as the breaking on my board is fantastic and very handy!
Think I will still give the whole friction drive thing a go first if it's no good I will change to belt drive.

Thanks again :)

There's a post here with a nice friction drive eboard that was similar to the Kickr. Looked pretty nice actually.

Yeah, any car ESC and/or the one I linked above will provide you with electronic brakes. The brakes are a standard just as long as you purchase a Car ESC. Airplane esc's and boat escs the braking is a bit different so it's not exactly the same.

Ahhh ok didn't realise. The esc in link is a little pricey for me but great to know I have other options. I will have a look on hobbyking then and see what I can find. can't wait to get started!!
With the speed controller will I need a programming card? sorry just saw them mentioned previously I'm not even sure what they are for! :-\

Thanks again :)

Ok thanks may have to start with 6s then and see how it goes.
just been reading about the Ego on here... is the're an easy way I could get that to go faster using existing batteries, controller etc?

Thanks

I think someone did a tear down. You would have to replace the speed controller and modify the gear pulley area on the e-go which would not allow you to use the belt cover anymore.

IMO you might as well start fresh. Changing the speed controller would change a lot of things because I am most likely positive that most of the e-go features are built into the speed controller.

Yeh to be honest I don't really like the idea of messing with it. Will just start fresh and see what happens if I love the new build I will just sell the Ego. :)

Hi all I am wanting to have a go at a small friction drive board similar to the penny board that was on here a while ago.
I was going to use the same setup he used but was wondering with the batteries instead of using 2x3s lipo's could I just use 1 6s? would I still get same power and distance? sorry still learning. ideally I would like 6-10 mile range but not sure if that is realistic with this setup.
with the motor he used on hobbyking it says 8s-10s Lipo but he was only using 6s does that matter?
I know torqueboards recommended 8s but I can't seem to find an reasonably priced ESC?
Also are lipo's better for this sort of build or are lifepo's or does it not really matter?
Here is the spec of the penny board:

Quanum 2.4Ghz 3ch Pistol Grip Tx & Rx System
Turnigy Aerodrive SK3 - 6354-260kv Brushless Outrunner Motor
HobbyKing® ™ 150A High performance Brushless Car ESC
ZIPPY Flightmax 5000mAh 3S1P 20C
HXT4mm Battery Harness 14AWG for 2 Packs in Series
Hobby King HKSS programming card for HK 150A ESC 

Turnigy Accucel-6 50W 6A Balancer/Charger w/ Accessories(Not in Picture)

Thanks

2x3s lipos results in a thinner pack although you need to wire in series. You can use 6S as well. Either, or same thing unless you are also changing the discharge C rating.

On the low end you can expect 1 mile to 1000mah. Maybe about 1.5 - 1.7 mile per 1000mah.

Harder to find 6S+ Esc

Lifepo4 nominal voltage is 3.2v and lipo is 3.7v. You get more power and it's more dense then lifepo4. Although, lifepo4 lasts a lot more. IMO I prefer lipos they are probably 1 to 2 times cheaper.

List looks good.

Thanks mate your a star!

so is 6S fine for that motor?

as regards to battery is there any way I could enclose them like on my Yuneec board and just have a charger like that one (similar to a laptop charger) so I don't have to worry about balancing etc or do I need totally different types of battery for that?

Thanks again!

6s is fine.

You could add a bms you would have to wire individual cells to the bms. Somewhat difficult and dangerous for the inexperienced.

Makes harder to swap packs and you would want higher voltage and capacity.

BMS for at least 10 or 12s and 10ah imo.

Thanks,

Another maybe silly question could or is it possible to use a e scooter battery and charger for my motor if I stepped down the voltage if needed? just thinking for neatness and less hassle with charging. I just like the idea of plugging it into the wall and that's it! :lol:

Hi guys,

Another maybe silly question could or is it possible to use a e scooter battery and charger for my motor SK3 6354, if I stepped down the voltage if needed? just thinking for neatness and less hassle with charging and messing around with the batteries themselfs. I just like the idea of plugging it into the wall and that's it! 

Decided to give the lipos a go :) Well had to change a couple of things ... gone with the 5055 motor now as no stock of the other one I wanted . I have ordered two 5000mah 3s Lipo's , my new board comes tomorrow! I just need to sort the motor mount and esc now. With my setup will I need a 150a esc or can I go smaller ?

Cant wait till I have all the parts.

Hi all in the process of building my first electric board, I have bought the sk3 5055 motor and 2x3s lipo's , will I need a high amp esc like 120-150 or can I go lower with this setup? Thanks

Ok thanks torque will get one ordered. By the way if the whole friction drive thing doesn't work out could I buy a motor mount and pulleys off you if it's you that sells them? I'm sure I read a thread somewhere that said you have them?

Thanks

Just waiting on a speed controller now Hobbyking don't have them in stock :-(

good stuff mate, only way to learn is get into it and ask questions. i will be going through the same process in the coming fortnight. adding the wii controller and board from Torqueboard's site.
will probably get a full truck kit from him in future for my longboard but baby steps :)

im going to chat with a mate with access to a lathe for the truck thread mount style like the kickr.

subscribed for the ride. cheers

Back