World Record Hoverboard Flight

dirkdiggler

10 kW
Saw this on Engadget. Don't know where it belongs as it entails a few disciplines, but most likely here in the aircraft section. I tell my kids that someday the quads we fly will be like what you are going to be driving to school. It is the new era of the Wright brothers. People who have the guts and knowledge to strap themselves into a death trap like this and live to tell about it will be our future hero's. It amazes me that currently these devices are coming from garage mechanics and not the multi-billion dollar corporations. Incredible!
[youtube]Bfa9HrieUyQ[/youtube]

Anyone with any more info on this, please update me. It looks like an octocopter config with some large outrunners, but that's my best guess. Also he looks to be holding just a three channel remote, so likely just using the speed control and then tilting with his weight to get it to fly forward?

http://montreal.ctvnews.ca/montrealer-sets-world-record-for-distance-hovering-1.2387308

A Montreal software engineer has set a Guinness World Record for longest flight by a hoverboard.
Alexandru Duru, 30, flew 275.9 meters - five times the old record - above Lake Ouareau in Western Quebec.
He hovered at heights of up to five metres in the flight last August. The Guinness authorities verified the video and certified as a record Friday.

Duru and his business partner in All Terrain Hoverboards hope to build a prototype of their device for sale to the public.
Duru received some funding from the Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council of Canada

there is an old record?

image.jpg

(merge topics) - moderator

Published on May 22, 2015 Now it's OFFICIAL :wink: BTTF II hoverboard CAN EXIST 8)

Catalin Alexandru Duru become the first person ever to break the Guinness World Records Title for the Farthest journey by hoverboard :mrgreen:

The farthest flight by hoverboard is 275.9 m (905 ft 2 in) and was achieved by Alexandru Duru (Canada) at Lake Ouareau in Quebec, Canada on 25 August 2014.

Catalin said:

The first real-life hoverboard. The machine was built and designed by me, Catalin Alexandru Duru. I am the first man to create and fly a working prototype.
I will showcase that stable flight can be achieved with a machine one can stand on and control with their feet, just like in the movie "Back to the Future Part II". In our case, the machine is propeller-based.

The prototype can be used anywhere, but is usually tested over water because of how dangerously high it can fly (which is ironic considering that the movie joked that it can't).

He is using Lipo and really powerfull motor.

[youtube]Bfa9HrieUyQ[/youtube]

Doc

And YES guys, i know that in BTTF they say it can't work on water.. but Catalin did it and it was also to land on a safe surface even if thing would have gone wrong.

Doc

Here is one picture of a closer look to the machine:

image.jpg

That is so COOL...

http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=69627&p=1050446&hilit=duru#p1050446

Read that earlier and searched before making a post. Could not find anywhere what he used to power the craft.
I figure it has to be some type of liquid as there's not enough space anywhere there to fit batteries.

Be curious if anyone knows or reads something. Still very cool.

wow just read you said he was using Lipo. Where is that stated ?

ohzee said:
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=69627&p=1050446&hilit=duru#p1050446

Read that earlier and searched before making a post. Could not find anywhere what he used to power the craft.
I figure it has to be some type of liquid as there's not enough space anywhere there to fit batteries.

Be curious if anyone knows or reads something. Still very cool.

wow just read you said he was using Lipo. Where is that stated ?

The sound of the motor is clear, the high pitch and their look reveal these are brushless motor. Now it s easy to know witch is the best source of availlable cheap high density powerfull battery.. lipo

Thenframe look to be carbon fiber made and maybe the inside od the tube contain cells. This would also protect them against water when landing in water.

Doc

image.jpg

http://www.ctvnews.ca/sci-tech/montreal-man-sets-world-record-for-furthest-flight-by-hoverboard-1.2387893

"To tell you the truth I always thought (flying) was something possible," Duru, 30, said in an interview.
"When I saw the new high-powered motors I thought, 'We can do that!"'
Duru had been working on a prototype for about five years and last August filmed himself flying his new machine over the lake, which is about 130 kilometres north of Montreal, before contacting Guinness.
Guinness verified the footage and announced the record on its website Friday.

The record is only the beginning.
Duru and his business partner, Philippe Maalouf, hope to have a new prototype finished by the end of the year and then have hovercrafts available for purchase across the country.
They negotiated a deal to manufacture the aircraft outside Canada and "are close" to finishing and testing the new model, Duru said.
The majority of the funding for the research and development of the prototype came from the private sector, with some coming from the Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council of Canada.
He wouldn't say how much it cost to build but said the first generation of the machines will likely be "quite expensive."
Duru hopes Canadians who can afford it will soon be able to have hovercrafts sitting next to their canoes, motorboats and other toys at the family chalet.
"You can fly it anywhere, over water, in the wild," he said. But he warned it's not for everyone.
"This thing is still quite dangerous," he said, because the pilot uses only his or her feet to fly the aircraft.
He said the prototype that will be hopefully be for sale will be digitally locked and be able to fly only about one-and-a-half metres above the ground.
"He wanted to fly and he made it happen," said Maalouf, who handles the business side of their new company, All Terrain Hoverboards.
Duru graduated from Ecole Polytechnique de Montreal and began designing technology for special effects projects, such as the New York show for internationally renowned stage director Robert Lepage.
When Duru was 26 he designed the 3-D special effects for Lepage's live show at New York's Metropolitan Opera.
"I told him to leave visual effects and make something that can change the world," Maalouf said.
Both men like the movie "Back to the Future," which was made in 1985 but set in the fictional world of 2015.
The character Marty McFly flies a hovercraft in the film.
"We have about six to seven months to put everything together," he said. "Ours is going to be a little bigger than the one in the movie, though."

Thxs for sharing dirkdiggler, very impressing
I think there would be a "ground effect" interest as well to fly at lower altitude... I guess the first commercialized prototype will have a 50cms "skirt" all around, am wondering what kind of "energy/distance" indicators those thing could provide

hi guys,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bfa9HrieUyQ

most of you already watched this video, but any details about that hoverboard..?

that is
motor used, battery, how to stabilize , gyroscope based or other, how much motor power needed to elevate the man

Wheazel said:
I dont understand why this gets so much hype and wonder how they can have a businessplan around it.
Its just another powerful multirotor in the line, seen many of those the past few years.
What could this possibly be used for as of todays battery tech?

If anyone knows good applications enlighten me :)

What if they removed the man and replaced half his weight in Batteries for extended flying, mount a wifi camera to stream back to an operator as he flys over the beach looking for man eating sharks.

Well, is novel because it's an electric multi-rotor that carries a human. If you remove the human...

Exactly :)
Ofcourse there is a multitude of sensible options a powerful drone can be used for...
Carrying a grown human in hoverboard config as of 2015 battery tech isnt very practical.

It would be intresting to make some calculations on how far one could fly with a purposebuilt multicopter with todays available parts.
Building your own "flying machine" has never been easier than it is today, and will likely get even easier in the future.
Buying a paramotor setup online and go flying is pretty straight forward. Also seen some electric builds in that area.

Those tubes can all be filled with 18650 or lipo batteries. Definitely no liquid. Must be battery-powered, using high current and low run-time. Just enough to get over the water so he doesn't mess it up. But really I want one of these and I hope he make the plans open and more people cooperate.

TotalConfusion said:
Wheazel said:
I dont understand why this gets so much hype and wonder how they can have a businessplan around it.
Its just another powerful multirotor in the line, seen many of those the past few years.
What could this possibly be used for as of todays battery tech?

If anyone knows good applications enlighten me :)

What if they removed the man and replaced half his weight in Batteries for extended flying, mount a wifi camera to stream back to an operator as he flys over the beach looking for man eating sharks.

Waste of money. Use it for finding bigfoot instead. J/k. But yes if its used for aerial surveillance, then it's something we already have plenty of.

As much as I love the idea, flying, and electric powered things I have to be a debbie downer on this...

These will be outlawed as soon as they hit the market. Unlike small multicopters the props on this thing present a major threat to the life and limb of other people. I am worried that these devices are going to be what it takes for the FAA to re-evaluate FAR103 with a new light on electric powered ultralights and their safety. It is clear that he has a long way to go with his APM flight controller software before this is anywhere near stable enough for the average idiot who can't even ride a hoverboard which were outlawed in absolutely no time.

Don't think any of these hoverboard style things would fall under FAR-103 since their power off stall speed is going to be, umm, rather higher than the limit.

Back