Hi power electric ducted fans

You can definitely make an electric powered ducted fans. However I am not sure hiding them in the fuselage would help your aerodynamics all that much. I think the issue of having the make the entire fusalage larger might not make up for the drag decreases from not having the fans exterior on the body of the airplane.

The finer points of aerodynamics are more like black magic, the only way to really know for sure is to do empirical testing.

That aside I still don't think you will be able to make a capable electric jet fighter, you can certainly make something that will fly, but it will not currently have near the performance nor endurance of a turbojet powered aircraft. Batteries are still your limiting factor, they still weight too much and don't store enough electricity to make anything other than electric gliders.

The other issue is that there is limitations to how much speed you can get out of propeller driven aircraft (EDF's are in this category as well) Since the key to speed is heating the air to accelerate your thrust to extremely high speeds, the higher your exhaust velocity the more efficient you will be at getting high speeds.

Here is an demo airplane that uses EDFs, developed by the parent company of airbus no less!
[youtube]lavvVN7fSEU[/youtube]

But it still isn't a jet fighter... :wink:

I think you would need 2 or 3 orders of magnitude greater energy density in batteries until you will begin to open the possibilities of electrically driven fighter jets.

This is the biggest I have seen for now 195 mm EDF:
http://www.turbines-rc.com/en/edf-ducted-fan/344-schubeler-ds-215-dia-hst-195mm-carbon-edf-ducted-fan-motor.html
I want two on my snowboard.

if Lady Gaga (seen here) can do it for a flying dress.... somebody here should be able to pull it off. The guy in the corner is flying it by remote...

Attachments

• lady-gaga-flying-dress-615x400.jpg
    lady-gaga-flying-dress-615x400.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 1,666
Back