My new Electric Outboard Motor ( hub motor ) Silent and Fast

Ya might wish to file this away for future reference or ignore, but when I was still a young guy, I plus friends usta tow a piece of long narrow flat and thin piece of plywood (swimmer hanging on via hands holding ends, etc. of towed skiing tow rope tied to board, and boat rope end of line to any convenient bollard, towing/tying device. With face marks and divers snorkel (Modern "J", nothing like that Roman Leo-wattEVer guy:
Leo_dive1.jpg

... etc. Besides our rental cottage to see underwater, the whole bay flooded years ago to build at the top of the chain of the Rideau Canal system (in case any pesky neighbours came again - money involved.), so clear water plus rotting bottom rooted old tree trunks, etc. as far as the eyes can see (and one could swim through hehe).

It's turning summer time again.....with lot's of water activities.
How's your heavy duty electric rig doing? Any progress to report!!!
We would all like to hear if you sorted out the strange hall failure problems you had?

I tried to replace the hall sensors inside the motor but did not have the right tools, so I send it back from where I bought it. When halls are replaced I will use thicker phase wires and will keep the hall wires away from phase wires.

Then we have to see if it is possible to stay at planing speed without failures :)

I thougth I had seen it all, look at this !

http://go-float.com/models/vector/

[youtube]rVvLh0mmYwM[/youtube]

25 mph.

And here at 1.53 minute even waterskiing at 2.17 minute you just see a trolling motor :? Yes also at the single person planing speed boat :!:

[youtube]_2SRP5s4uQY[/youtube]

For the model that gets up on plane, the Vector shown in the video, I completely understand, but for the non-planing models why on earth do they make them so short? Anyone that clueless about how length affects the efficiency through the water of displacement hulls has no business building low speed electric boats...must be from a pedal boat background.

Bazaki said:
I thougth I had seen it all, look at this !

http://go-float.com/models/vector/

[youtube]rVvLh0mmYwM[/youtube]

25 mph.

And here at 1.53 minute even waterskiing at 2.17 minute you just see a trolling motor :? Yes also at the single person planing speed boat :!:

[youtube]_2SRP5s4uQY[/youtube]

I love the progression... keep up the good work.

-methods

Installed the 10kw golden motor and it runs ok, I think you can not get much more silent than this. With the outboard in neutral the motor it self makes the noise. Outside the boat the noise is much less than at the video. Now the problem is the motor runs hot at lower speed, if I want to go about 5-8 kmh as cruising speed the motor is about 20-30% efficiënt I believe. Good planing speeds at about 21 km/h will take about 11KW input. 92V at 115 A, The motor is pretty hot after a while. Or it is beacuse I use 11kw for about 30 seconds and or it is the slow speed cruising, I can't tell. Maybe the heat from 11KW input goes slow through the casing and will take a few minutes.

[youtube]9X44zHyAuME[/youtube]

Looks ok, but if the torqeedo reach this speed with only 5Kw, thank this not so ok :D

Sick... love the CA and datalogging laptop
Winning :mrgreen:

-methods

datalogging is a nice feature with the golden motor system.

maybe the prop is to big and because of this the motor wants high phase amps and gets hot. set phase amps similar to batt amps and check if you still get 11kw.
further the watercooled version has no fan and so not good heat dissipation - it would help if you pump some water through the blue ports^^

Use the water cooling.. its easy to hook up... took my 5 mins with the 18hp bottom end on my evinrude.. colder motor.. better efficency

-steveo

I will try some other settings.
About watercooling, yes ofcourse it is better but this was a small test ride and it gets so warm so soon.
And I always would remove the impeller and use a second small 12v pump, the impeller will take much more watt :D

You will probably have to have a custom propeller made if you want to match Torquedo's performance.

Its crazy that the Torquedo's are in 54% efficency range...

4kw in only 2kw power out.... i saw something like 180lbs thrust :O

My little 5kw.. makes just shy of 100lbs to my knowledge.. a friend of mine tested it as a paraglider motor before it went on my boat outboard.. i believe the 10kw was around 160lb range

-steveo

It's not the efficiency range we normally use around here. Like kw in and kw out.

A trolling motor is about 35% I believe and an ice outboard even less. That's why my motor needs about 10kw to get planing speeds of about 20 kmh what probably also can be done with a 5 hp outboard motor. The outboard motor has 5 hp effective thrust in the water, so they an inefficient prop is not a big problem. You just give the outboard 10 hp power.

So it's not the motor and controler they speak of.

Back