Cycle Analyst V3 preview and first beta release

Gab said:
Throttle is set to pass through mode.
On the diagnostics screen and I can see the INPUT signal voltages jumps like 0.5v by itself with no movement ( could this be feedback or noise? ), I had a look at the PLIM flags and their is NO limiting happening at this time, nothing is in Capital letters. Its flag is =awsvt, so since their is no limiting none of the gain settings will make a difference...

These look like the key observations and your conclusion about limiting seems exactly right.
Also - there is virtually zero possibility of feedback/noise on the throttle signal.

The fact that the input is fluctuating pretty much puts the CA in the 'garbage-in, garbage-out' role - particularly since you are in PassThru mode.
Neil's diagnosis about a poor connection seems the most likely - this might be an issue with the throttle connector pin fit/crimp or a soldered connection inside the throttle or CA.

CA regulator capacity may seem a little counter-intuitive - it has greater current capacity at lower voltages. At only 36V, the capacity is fairly large and not too likely to be a cause in this case. ....Always worth checking, but my money is on a simple mechanical issue.

NeilP said:
What voltage are you running the CA at? your pack main voltage?
Doh! :oops: Gab told us that in his first post and I replied knowing that. somone slap me

teklektik said:
CA regulator capacity may seem a little counter-intuitive - it has greater current capacity at lower voltages. At only 36V, the capacity is fairly large and not too likely to be a cause in this case. ....Always worth checking, but my money is on a simple mechanical issue.

Me being dumb, at 36 volt, enough current for most things. But, at 36 volt there is only 47mA available. so if there is a TDCM bottom bracket, a pair of hall brakes, hall throttle and some sort of aux switch, there is the potential for up to about 44mA being drawn ....so within , but only just. ..Unlikely I agree, but still getting up towards the uppere limit.

But still mechanical connectivity issue the most likely.

Hey all, attached is a CA3Prelim9 firmware. Changes over the P8 code are as follows:

1. The required change in the Aux Voltage required to cause the "Aux Adjust" pop-up window to show has been increased several fold. A number of people experienced the Aux Adjust window showing up as a result of electrical noise in their system even when their actual Aux switch or potentiometer wasn't being touched. Hopefully with the current settings you'll only ever see the "Aux Adjust" when you are deliberately changing the adjustment.

2. The behavior when the Aux In is effectively at 0% has been changed to prevent small glitches in power if you are in a PAS mode and using the Aux Input to set your pedal assist level. So with your Aux all the way down, the system will always be at zero output unless you hit the throttle. Previously, it would attempt to maintain 0 watts, and this meant sometimes the motor could still spin a little bit as the feedback hunted around for the output that would produce 0 watts, rather than simply going down the Min Output.

3. Finally, when you are in Aux ->Presets mode, the logic has been changed so that low voltage is preset #1, medium voltage is preset #2, and a high voltage is preset #3. For reasons that are a bit silly, this logic used to be inverted the other way, and a higher voltage was preset #1. So if you have a 3 position switch configured for the preset selection, and you load this firmware, then your 1 and 3 positions will be swapped, and will be the way they always should have been (with 1 on the switch corresponding to preset #1, not preset #3)

Still no clock I'm afraid, but that should round up the last of the little nuisances. The attached firmware has NO eeprom settings, so if you flash it you won't have to worry about any of your setup changing, loosing your total cycles, total Ah, RShunt calibration etc.

Attachments

• CA3_Prelim9_NoEeprom.hex
    83 KB · Views: 42
Maybe way to late to implement now but somethign I'd really like to see in future versions, as it bugs the hell out of me, (being impatient) is the procedure to exit the setup screen.

Having to either scroll through all the settings pages to the end to get the 'Leaving Setup' message...or powereing off and re powering.

Any chance of an instant 'leave Setup' key press. something like press and hold both buttons for ...2 seconds

Another that woudl be nice is a useer changeable 'Favourite' setting. I often fidn that if I am out on a testing ride and I want to see the effects of a particulat setting that is half way through the menu system, youare sat by the side of the road, scrollign to that setting, changin the value, then scrolling all the way back out again. It all takes times.

I was thinking of first screen that appears in the Setup mode is one or two Favouite params. So .,.in to Setup, change, the press and hold both to save and exit.
not an issue for day yo day riding but it will make the tuning and setup far easier.

Both NielP's suggestions are agreed with here.

Having to scroll through the entire setup menu to exit can be infuriating, although I've made a game of guessing which direction will exit quickest. The favourite menu is also a good idea, like found on many cameras.

Keep up the great work Justin.

PS: I'm loving my recent purchase of a DD kit from you BTW.

Hmm, both interesting suggestions. I've gotten pretty good at the rapid "tap tap tap tap tap tap' to scroll out of the setup menu, but could implement a press and hold the _left_ button to escape the setup menu from anywhere. This would bring the 2 button CA interface a little bit closer to that of the Satiator, where we have a top button hold is an "escape" and the bottom button hold is "enter". I'll add this to the planned feature set, since that makes a lot of sense.

For the "favorite settings", perhaps an easier and more automatic option would be "recent settings", where we could automatically have quick access to the 8 most recently modified setup menu parameters? The way that the setup menu is structured and accessed this is a lot trickier to implement than it sounds, but I'll give it some consideration.

Most recent 8 would be brilliant,
Would not think even 8, but, then again as long as it dynamically updated, great.

Sorry not to have mentioned it earlier. I have been meaning to for a long long time.

I have a CA v3 of course. I bought a 3 speed switch from Grin. I have it setup for 3 presets but im unable to see or activate the 3rd preset. The other two are set and are changing. when I look at the live data I can see the voltage change for all 3 settings. I can see the screen prompt for preset 1 and 2 but nothing for three. Any clue what maybe going on.

Hi Chris

Assuming you have checked the switch with a multi meter and that is all ok, next question would be as to how you have the CA set up, and what you are trying to achieve.

Are you wanting the switch to switch between Presets, or to use it as an Amps/Speed/power/PAS controller

Explain more what you are trying got set it to do and your settings

icecube57 said:
I have a CA v3 of course. I bought a 3 speed switch from Grin. I have it setup for 3 presets but im unable to see or activate the 3rd preset. The other two are set and are changing. when I look at the live data I can see the voltage change for all 3 settings. I can see the screen prompt for preset 1 and 2 but nothing for three. Any clue what maybe going on.

Two things, its of course important that you have all 3 presets enabled and not just 2, and secondly it's important that your min and max aux input voltages are more or less symmetric about 2.5V. So if you've messed with the min and max Aux in for other reasons when used to adjust the limit range, then I would suggest setting it to 1.6V min and 3.3V max instead.

-Justin

Issue resolved. I had to play around with the voltages for the min and max to get it in the specific range to enable the 3rd preset.

icecube57 said:
Thoughts:
  • AuxPot setup is discussed in the Guide "Appendix E. Configurable Aux Pot 3-Position Switch Using Fixed Resistors".
  1. Do you see the correct voltages on the AuxPot Setup screen when you flip the switch ( (L, M, H) = (1.66V, 2.50V, 3.33V) )?
    (See Guide "E.1 Grin Tech 3-Position Switch (Fixed Resistors)").
    • If not - then you have an electrical issue.
  2. Have you set the AuxPot (Min,Max) values to (1V,4V) respectively?
    (See Guide table on page 65).
    • If not - then you have an easy configuration issue.
  3. If you bought your V3 from EM3EV you may be having an issue because Paul's switch resistors are installed in the CA case whereas the Grin switch has the resistors in the switch. Using an EM3EV V3 with a Grin switch ends up with two sets of resistors and switch voltages that do not match those listed in the Guide.
    • If you have this parts mismatch - post back with the voltages displayed on the AuxPot Setup screen for the 3 switch settings and we'll get you custom AuxPot (Min,Max) settings.
EDIT - oops, cross post - issue resolved already ('item #2")... :D

No need to be this fussy, but to get the thresholds halfway between the switch voltages for this particular switch:
  • The AuxPot preset voltage thresholds are at 1/3 and 2/3 of the min-max voltage range
  • The Grin switch provides these voltages:
    • (L, M, H) = (1.66V, 2.50V, 3.33V)
So:
AuxMinIn: (1.66V - (3.33-1.66V)/4 ) ~= 1.24V
AuxMaxIn: (3.33V + (3.33V-1.66V)/4 ) ~= 3.75V

checking result:

• switch RANGE = 3.75V-1.24V = 2.51V
    1<->2 threshold = 1.24V + (1/3*RANGE) ~= 2.1V
    2<->3 threshold = 1.24V + (2/3*RANGE) ~= 2.9V
Code:
             [----------SWITCH VOLTAGES----------]
           1.66V             2.50V             3.33V  
    |--------|========X========|========X========|--------|
  1.24V             2.1V              2.9V              3.75V
    [----------------AUXPOT VOLTAGE RANGE-----------------]
 AuxMinIn           (1/3)             (2/3)            AuxMaxIn
                      |<--Thresholds--->|

Similarly, the Guide values of 1V and 4Vgive thresholds of:
  • switch RANGE = 4V - 1V = 3V
    1<->2 threshold = 1V + (1/3*RANGE) = 2V
    2<->3 threshold = 1V + (2/3*RANGE) = 3V
Code:
             [----------SWITCH VOLTAGES----------]
           1.66V             2.50V             3.33V  
    |--------|========X========|========X========|--------|
   1.0V              2.0V              3.0V              4.0V
    [----------------AUXPOT VOLTAGE RANGE-----------------]
 AuxMinIn           (1/3)             (2/3)            AuxMaxIn
                      |<--Thresholds--->|
These values (1V, 4V) do not yield not spot on midpoint thresholds, but are easy remember and enter....

justin_le said:
Hey all, attached is a CA3Prelim9 firmware.

Hi Justin:

Thanks for the update. I got a chance to test Prelim9 yesterday.

Some remaining minor nuisances:

1) The unbidden appearance of the AuxLevel screen when in regen still occasionally occurs, but it is now much less frequent. Maybe 1 out of 20 instances where with Prelim8 it occurred in 1 out of 3 instances. This problem is now a trifling nuisance, but I felt I should mention it as the problem has not entirely disappeared.

2) I still see wh/mi display show 0.0 (where watt-hours and distance are both positive) until I have my first instance of regen current. During the first regen (while the controller's e-brake switch is closed and current is flowing into the battery) the wh/mi display goes crazy, showing a random selection of positive and negative numbers, then as the ride progresses, the display eventually settles down to a reasonable figure. Resting battery voltage starts above 57v, and first regen is allowed by my controller (Lyen MK2) when resting battery voltage falls to about 56.8v.

After riding more with Prelim9 I see that wh/mi remains zero in the absence of any regen until somewhere between 80 and 100 watt-hours consumed. At some point that I have not yet been able to observe--I do need to keep my eyes on the road some of the time--the wh/mi display jumps from 0.0 to a reasonable value.

3) Thermal rollback is only current- and not current- or power-based.

4) I observe a brief and disconcerting surge of full-throttle (750 watts, in this case) upon coming out of regen mode (controller's e-brake circuit changing state from "closed" to "open") while pedaling while in PAS throttle mode when the PAS Watts is adjusted to a modest value like 200 watts. This might occur as I approach a red light that will soon change to green as I continue to soft-pedal while using regen to reduce speed. The light turns green, I release the regen button (open the controller's e-brake circuit), and motor spins up to PAS Watts or it does following the brief surge. If I stop pedaling while in regen, release the regen button, then resume pedaling there is no surge.
(Please note that when I first posted this complaint, I attributed this incorrectly to a power surge when switching throttle modes from manual to PAS when PAS Watts > 0. That works fine.)

I wanna leave this here for people that had or are having troubling getting the temp sensor KTY83/110 PTC set up on the MXUS 3000 motor. http://www.endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=66305&start=50#p1013306
This is a polar/diode type device meaning it can only be wired one way or it will give bad info to the cycle analyst so after putting these setting in if it doesnt look right swap the wires. Again this only applies to the MXUS 3000w motor with the KTY83/110 PTC My settings are for the scale of 0C to 140C. There is another user that has very similar values here. Their scale is probably for 0-125C. http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=63410&start=250#p981591. I confirmed mines with a stand alone device to see if the temps sensor was reporting correctly.

HI Guys,

I am having a strange problem with what i thought was a brand new cycle analyt (it might not be it has been laying around a while but looks new)

I plug it into a lyon controller with the cycle analyst port, and the bike seems limited to 400 watts. I unplug the cycle analyst and the bike puts out 30amps

Does anyone know off hand a quick way i can reset the cycle analyst to factory defaults in case it has been programmed before? I do not have a programming cable at this address unfortunately.

I have checked in the cycle analyst and it is not doing amp limiting...is there anything else i should check?

Please give more info.
like how it is connected, in V3 mode with throttle connected to the CA or legacy mode with throttle connected to the controller.
possibly even firmware version of the CA, as if you don't have a cable and have had it lying around for a while, you will may have old firmware, and instructions might be different.

I am pretty sure it will come up on the sctreen when you first boot it I think any way. At work at moment, but I am sure some oen else will chip in.

But how is it wired? throttle to CA or controller?

Hi Justin, I just had an idea for a new feature - how about an optional entry code for when the CA is powered up? Maybe a 4-digit PIN that would give a bit of security without the need for any keylocks or hidden switches.

Green Machine said:
HI Guys,

I am having a strange problem with what i thought was a brand new cycle analyt (it might not be it has been laying around a while but looks new)

I plug it into a lyon controller with the cycle analyst port, and the bike seems limited to 400 watts. I unplug the cycle analyst and the bike puts out 30amps

Does anyone know off hand a quick way i can reset the cycle analyst to factory defaults in case it has been programmed before? I do not have a programming cable at this address unfortunately.

I have checked in the cycle analyst and it is not doing amp limiting...is there anything else i should check?

I have the cycle analyst v3 beta 21 firmware...the throttle is plugged directly to the controller.

Back