Staff member
Phoenix, AZ, USA, Earth, Sol, Local Bubble, Orion
file.php

Review for the prize Cycle Analyst from here:
http://www.endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=21397&start=0
DSC03787.JPG
Appropriately packed:
View attachment 15
with a surprise inside in addition to the CA--a couple sets of parts for fixing the other CA's blown regulator stuff!
http://www.endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=19540&start=0
DSC03794.JPG

Some comparison shots of it with the other CA that still needs repair, that Dogman sent, along with the Watts Up that AussieJester sent (which has wires from the first borrowed Turnigy that I killed and later repaired), and the Turnigy Watt Meter that Rumped6 sent.
DSC03790.JPG
I really like the screen. I can read it from several feet away even without my glasses, whcih I sure can't do with the Watts Up or the Turnigy. Heck, the Turnigy I have to be pretty close to and at the right angle even in good light or with it's backlight only in darkness, or I can't make stuff out well. The Watts Up is way better but it's still tiny and I must have my glasses on when riding to see it. I don't know about the older CA but probably that, too (it still needs repair so I haven't seen it in operation to know for sure).
DSC03791.JPG
It is equally readable in regular lighting, daylight, or darkness or partial lighting.
View attachment 5
White backlight is much better than the blue Turnigy light.
DSC03803.JPG

The CA board itself appears the same at a glance, though it looks tiny compared to the screen in this shot:
DSC03793.JPG

The connection to the shunt is different from the regular version--instead of being wired straight to it, it uses the JST connector, which I assume could be plugged right into a controller. Can't tell yet as the included manual is for the regular version. Guess the new manual isn't finished yet. :)
DSC03792.JPG
The speedo sensor is still wired directly in; I wish it was also on that connector plug, because if it was, I could very quickly unsnap the CA from the bars with the QR clamp, unplug it, and take it in with me instead of leaving it in the hot Phoenix sun when I have to park the bike outside stores, etc. for any length of time. I'll fix that, and add my own connector, but it would be nice to not have to. ;) Perhaps that could be a future change to newer models from Grin.

The bar clamp is the same as the previous model, and has an issue with the pad not being thick enough to work on the bars for CB2 or DayGlo Avenger, or a few other handlebars on bikes I checked quickly. The pad has indentations in it
DSC03798.JPG
to presumably help prevent rotation around the bar by locking to the pads that are part of the clamp,
View attachment 6
but unless you've got thick bars or you clamp this to your stem it probably isn't going to fit without additional rubber shims (like slices of old innertube). I ended up using the thicker pad Dogman sent with the other one (presumably used by him for the same reason). I like the clamp itself, just not the pad. :)

The speedo...well, I got it to work once, during one hand-spin of the wheel,
DSC03807.JPG
but for some reason I can't get a response from it now. I've tried the original magnet, but that was too far away from it (7-10mm) when on the motor's spokes.
DSC03797.JPG
It needs to be within 2mm per the manual, so I made a stack of badge magnets that work fine on other speedo sensors like on my VeloAce PDA or the Innovator cycle computer, on the edge of the steel spoke flange of the 9C, and that I can make close enough to the sensor that it actually rubs it,
View attachment 2
and it still doesn't respond. Tried various magnet orientations, with no change.
DSC03806.JPG
I'm sure I'm just doing something wrong but I am not sure what it is yet. :( The sensor is the same as the previous CA version, so I can experiment with testing using that one.

I attached the speedo sensor and tied cables down using more of the recycled zip ties I save from unpacking various merchandise at work, like the unassembled dog kennels we have to put together when they arrive:
DSC03795.JPG
They're always still long enough to be very useful, and are actually better quality than the Harbor Freight or dollar-store zip ties, by quite a bit usually. :) All the small size, but often longer (even cut) than the small ones you usually see in packs.

I'm not sure about the current readings yet, as they are a bit different (greater) than the WU or TWM. Might be that it's more accurate, or it might still need fine-tuning on the Rshunt value vs the actual included shunt (which I mounted up at the controller end of the various battery connections).
DSC03804.JPG

Not tested on a ride, yet, that's coming up this afternoon (might not be any further info about it till tomorrow afternoon, though, as I close tonight but open tomorrow at work).

BTW, anyone that doesn't say Justin and/or Grin / Ebikes.ca rocks must never have dealt with them. :)

Where's the obligatory shot of the dog(s) giving it the "Oh, no... there he goes again" once over? :wink:

HEY AMBER: The sensor can be tested in your hand ,with power on wave the magnet back and forth over the sensor or move the sensor back and forth over the magnet. I have to shim the sensor out about 5/8in to get it close enough to work. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Yeah, I tried various ways of testing it by waving the magnet past it and I got responses, but not on the wheel, and that is what bugs me. I didn't really have enough time ot fiddle with it like I wanted to, and wont'have that time until I get off work tomorrow afternoon.

texaspyro said:
Where's the obligatory shot of the dog(s) giving it the "Oh, no... there he goes again" once over? :wink:
They were safely outside during most of this, being a nice day they were mostly out sunning themselves (except for Loki who likes to hide in some corner under furniture much of the time). :)

The CA is definitely reading differently than the TWM or WU, particularly at higher currents. I took too long riding around and having fun on my way to work, so I only got there with just enough time to get ready and clock in, so I don't have trip info for the test ride/commute portions. :( I recall seeing that they were almost the same between the WU and CA for Ah, and a little bit low on the TWM, but not by much. On the way home, that didn't hold true and I don't know why.

On the trip home, I got the following:
Code:
      WU1   TWM2   CA
Ah  1.663   1.602   1.587
Wh  84      74      72
Wp  2056    2027    2844**
Ap  41.9     47.7     61.3
Vm  48.8    47.28   46.4
Vr  52.83   52.97   52.9
**Wp on CA is calculated by me using Ap x Vm, isn't displayed anywhere that I can find)

More info tomorrow or the next day as I have time to test. :)

I finally got time to troubleshoot the speedo problem, and it turns out to be a faulty sensor. There is no continuity with or without a magnet in place. They're reed switches, so you can hear them click when a magnet is passed by. This one doesn't click (or give continuity) with any magnet in any orientation. The one Dogman sent does, and it is otherwise identical to the defective one (which is pictured below).
DSC03847.JPG
So I just spliced in the one from Dogman and now I have a speedometer and odometer and wh/mile function. No data from that yet as I just fixed it a moment ago.

I wanted to pry open the casing to examine the actual reed switch to see why it is not operating mechanically (and why it might be intermittent, as it did work once for just a moment), but the case appears to be molded around the switch, and will be more involved to remove than I have time for at the moment. So later, I will probably get back to that, when curiosity again overrides priorities. ;)

Regarding the current measurements of the CA vs WU and TWM, I still haven't figured out any reason for them to be so much higher on the CA during high-current draws but not during medium-low draws. :? See the posts on this page for some of the data showing comparisons of the three:
http://www.endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=334220#p334220

Damn, I love large screen CA, and thanks for the pictures. Im going get one for my 2nd ebike.

New screen is awesome

Gtr2ebike,

Did you get yours already? I'm waiting anxiously for mine!

Ambrose

Hi Amberwolf,

This CA came with this nice box ? i also have a old large display CA and need a nice box for it!.

Good day!
Black Arrow

BlackArrow said:
This CA came with this nice box ? i also have a old large display CA and need a nice box for it!.
It did indeed; that is the nice selling point of this one. :) You might see if Grin is willing to sell just the cases, to those that already have the internals, once the beta is over.

Hi Amberwolf,

THX for the reply i will check with Justin at ebike.ca if i can get one from there.

Good day!
Black Arrow

Also, these things have one more good use:
DSC03863.JPG
I used to have to stick my glasses in my helmet so I'd be sure to remember them (I only really need them when riding and at work, as at home I am rarely doing anything that requires clearly seeing beyond arm's length). Now I can just hang them right on the CA. :lol: Harder to forget they're there since I reset the CA each ride. :)

My LSCA arrived today! WOOHOO!

It's a beauty. Feels great in the hand and built like a tank. Great job Justin!

Can't wait to check it out!

Ambrose

ambroseliao said:
My LSCA arrived today! WOOHOO!

It's a beauty. Feels great in the hand and built like a tank. Great job Justin!

Can't wait to check it out!

Ambrose

Man i'm jaleous those box are real beauty and they make nice Sun Glasses support too :wink:

Good day!
Black Arrow

nicobie said:
Are the new screens brighter than the old ones? At times the sun washes out the numbers on mine.

Hi Nicobie,

I never have this kind of behavior with mine can't help sorry.

Good day!
Black Arrow

Wierd, I missed the last couple replies. :(

I don't have any issues with seeing the LSCA's screen in any lighting conditions so far; keep in mind that I am leaning back a little in my seat, with the CA almost vertically-mounted in front of me, so the sun generally is not shining perpendicular to the face of it (the only times it could it would be behind me and then I would be shading the CA with my body).

Even when riding at sunset with the glare of stuff in front of me, I can still read the CA just fine. I'm not wearing sunglasses, though, as those don't fit on me along with my eyeglasses inside the motorcycle helmet, which doesn't have a shaded faceplate, just a clear retractable one that generally stays retracted.

What I came back to this thread to post:

I have seen some possible oddness with the CA's readings, regarding amp draw and thus wattage readings. See some of the recent posts in my CrazyBike2 thread, such as this:
http://www.endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=346744#p346744
for some details on that.

Regarding water-resistance: So far in the drizzling rain recently, I've had no problems with the CA fogging up or anything. I did tape over the extra wiring holes and camera-type mount on the back, to prevent ingress, as mine is mounted almost vertically so water would be able to enter there otherwise (unlike the way most riders would be mounting theirs).

So far the only annoying things I've found about it are:
--I can't really create a customized screen with particular values on it (not that I expected to, but just that I wish I could, so I didn't have to scroll thru screens while riding to gather data on experiments)
--It doesn't operate below 15V (annoying because I can't use it to monitor charge or discharge of my 12V lighting system, and have to use a WU or TWM for that). I could set it to work down that far, but I'd have to disable the backlight, which I need as I ride at night quite a bit (one big reason for the lighting system!). Otherwise it might not (probably wouldn't) have enough time to save it's data during the shutdown.

Even with those things, it's lightyears ahead of either WU or TWM. :)

BlackArrow said:
They've started selling just the box now, so you can order it from ebikes.ca. I don't yet see a direct product link on the sales page, so you'll have to ask them about it.

A further report on the CA, in cold weather down to 19F: no problems with display or operation. Doesnt' seem to have any noticeable display lag or flicker, vs room temperature. :)

That is very unlke the Turnigy Watt Meter, which is barely even distinguishable that it *has* a display at that temperature, and the WU that has a visible display but lags very badly, quite difficult to read a changing numeric value on it. :(

An interesting result using the CA to monitor my Vpower charging on DGA:
http://www.endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=374812#p374812

<snip>There are some anomalous CA readings, too. The CA is still mounted on CB2, and it is not moving, since it's sitting right next to DGA against the walll charging. Yet it registered some distance, speed, etc. readings. I verified it was cleared before beginning.

At a guess, since the SA version's shunt wires and speed sensor wires are intertwined, perhaps if the sensor is open (with the magnet not near it) it is sensitive to strong electrical noise, like fast switching RF noise in a PSU output. If this is the case, then it's possible that when the BMS on the Vpower pack cuts out at end of charge (HVC) then the Vpower charger is left floating on it's output. THis would mean that if the Vpower charger doesnt' really have enough capacitance to flat-DC-filter it's own output (as it probably expects the battery to do this, it would make sense), it could have significant tiny spikes in it, perhaps sufficient to induce noise into the speed sensor line.

Anyhow, the readings are:
643MPH max
252MPH avg
0.630miles
00m 09s total trip time

If i did the math right, that means that something like 30,000 pulses came in on the speedo sensor within that 9s, probably in bursts given the low average. Noise from the charger is the only thing I can imagine causing it, since this has never happened in any other situation so far.

I have however read recently of someone else that had an insane max speed show up, but I cannot find the thread right now. I've linked this post to the CA version 2 thread
http://www.endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=374815#p374815
and my LS-CA review thread,
http://www.endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=374813#p374813 in case anyone sees those and knows what thread it is to link to that, too.

Just mabe that when you are not around those dogs take turns riding your bike just for fun and to try to cunfuse you. :roll: :lol: :lol:

Then they sure pedal faster than I ever could. :lol: I find it more likely that they all glued magnets to their tails and wagged them past the sensor really really really fast. :p

Hmm...I wonder what a pedal-powered bike for a four-legged creature would operate like? Something like a tandem? The saddle would be different, more like a "chest-hammock".

See what happens when you make me think? :lol:

I had an issue with the speed sensor on the standalone CA, where the connection to the sensor to was pulling out of the sensor a bit, and giving me intermittent 0 mph readings. I just glued it back into the sensor and it seems to be all right. I also stripped the screw that holds the magnet on a wee bit, so it is a bit loose, rotating on the spoke. I may need to get another magnet from Justin. My average watt hours per mile on the trike are registering around 14 which is quite plausible, so it is all working now.

Back