Maxi Might hub test and review

I have been riding my hub from hitek bikes for a few hundred miles now, and figured it was time to share my findings! I have been running 66v (18s lipo) and 35a for a peppy ride that isn't too crazy for riding around pedestrians.

1st up, quality of hub. Seemed to be up to snuff with 9c and xlyte motors. Bearings roll smooth enough, finish is good enough, etc.. As shown in some other photos there may be an excessive amount of end turns in the wiring, but I didn't feel like cracking my motor open.

2nd, ease of lacing. This motor is not meant for small spokes. 12ga spokes just worked, the holes are big enough for 11ga spokes. I would not really want to lace this into a mountain bike rim. Just like the Xlyte hubs, the diameter is so large that it creates an issue on the spoke angles with standard rims.

3rd, installation. Since the motor is kind of a prototype, I didn't expect this to be straight forward. It was not, the OLD was like 157mm. I used an angle grinder on the axle to reduce the width on the chain side and put a single speed freewheel on it. Perfect for a single speed bike, but there is NO WAY this hub will fit in any other bike without axle modifications.

4th, ride quality. It is a pretty smooth motor overall. It has some normal grumbles on acceleration, but is not as noisy as the 9c at mid throttle. At max throttle it is silent as far as I can tell, tire noise certainly drowned out motor noise.

5th, speed and power. This motor seemed a bit slower than my 9c, even though the 9c is in a smaller rim and tire combo. I would rather have this hub running on higher voltage because of this. The 9c also accelerated faster being in a small wheel. So the 9c seemed to kick it on both acceleration and top speed. Kinda strange, maybe it is just a misinterpretation since I didn't find the exact speed or measure acceleration directly. Just an off the cuff comparison to other bikes.

Overall. I like the hub overall. It is lighter than an x5 by far, but has a bit more mass than the 9c. For a heavier or faster ride this motor keeps a touch cooler than the 9c. For somebody looking for a drop in motor, this is not your choice. I still have not tried to install a disc brake, as I use a 203mm rotor and the caliper will hit the motor case screws. I would like to see the axle size increased before the threading to allow for better contact with the dropouts. I would also like to see the axle slotting done on the same plane as the flats for better strength.

Overall, I give it 6 out of 10 stars because of the fit and small details that were not considered (spoke holes too big, OLD too large, small axle behind the dropouts). In comparison, I give x5's the same rating because of the inability to safely and reliably lace into MTB rims. 9c hubs would get 7 out of 10 for the new side cover design, and could also use a larger axle behind the dropouts.

Any specific questions, just ask. And don't use my photos without my permission (you know who you are)!

wpid-IMAG0086.jpg

johnrobholmes said:
2nd, ease of lacing. This motor is not meant for small spokes. 12ga spokes just worked, the holes are big enough for 11ga spokes. I would not really want to lace this into a mountain bike rim. Just like the Xlyte hubs, the diameter is so large that it creates an issue on the spoke angles with standard rims.
Would using a wide rim work or be more ideal? 50-80mm? For a rear, do spoke holes have to be offset for dishing?

johnrobholmes said:
3rd, installation. Since the motor is kind of a prototype, I didn't expect this to be straight forward. It was not, the OLD was like 157mm. I used an angle grinder on the axle to reduce the width on the chain side and put a single speed freewheel on it. Perfect for a single speed bike, but there is NO WAY this hub will fit in any other bike without axle modifications.
So, if one had a 160mm drop-out, then this would slide right in & work?

johnrobholmes said:
5th, speed and power. This motor seemed a bit slower than my 9c, even though the 9c is in a smaller rim and tire combo. I would rather have this hub running on higher voltage because of this. The 9c also accelerated faster being in a small wheel. So the 9c seemed to kick it on both acceleration and top speed.
Which 9c & what voltage?

Thanks! :mrgreen:

A wider rim wouldn't cut it, only a rim with angled eyelets. Maybe Worksman cycles could hook us up?

If you have a 160mm wide dropout you would be good, but I cannot say if you will be able to use a 5 speed freewheel or what.

9c hub compared is a typical 7 turn in a 16" moto rim on the same setup 66.6v and 35a.

How fast did you test on your new Maxi Might at 66v LiPo? So you says 9C 9x7 winding really fast and better torque than Maxi-Might? I do not understand why the Maxi Might states rated at 2500 watt at 48v? compare to 9C rated 36v at 500w, 48v at 750 watt and probably 72v at 1000 watt?.

With 35a limit and 66v I couldn't get over 35mph.

Wattage ratings are pretty useless on hub motors. The controller determines the wattage, and the hub heft determines how long it can stand the wattage. I would say this motor is safe for 2500w intermittent usage, same for a 9c.

Yes, that is what it seems. Terry gave me no info on this hub otherwise. I am swapping back to the 9c to make sure it isn't all in my mind.

Can you compare no-load full throttle rpm of this motor to that of 9C ?
And no-load current of both on your setup ?

Glad you were able to get that on your bike John, it looks good. What was the wheel size? I'm embarrassed to admit I did not actually measure the axle OLD. As you can see from the attached photos, it looks to fit fine in a regular bike with 6 gears. That is one of the bikes we got from Aotema, and I was under the impression it was a regular bike, it sure looks like one. So this is no good for a regualr bike with the existing axle. I think it would be good for choppers or a frame that was originally an ebike. Looks like a premature release, and an over-hyped one at that. I will keep this model available for special projects and offer them at a discount price. I did know this was not a fast wind but thought that would be good to make use of higher voltages without the crazy speed. I got about 19mph in a 26" wheel @ 36V. I figured 48V would be a sweet spot. OK, back to the drawing board. So do most people want speed in this type of motor?

maxi-might1.jpg
maxi-might2.jpg
maxi-might3.jpg

johnrobholmes said:
9c hub compared is a typical 7 turn in a 16" moto rim on the same setup 66.6v and 35a.
This 16" moto rim... is this the rim I've seen recommended for getting a large bike (or motorcycle) tire onto it?

I read somewhere on ES about someone recommending a motorcycle/moped rim that gets a 20" or 24" or ? -what size tire onto it?

Know any details?

Also, is this the DD motor that has a bit of controversy surrounding it, when it's compared to the 9c "older design" motor?

Thanks. :mrgreen:

If the axle was modified (which it needs anyway) it would work fine as a single speed hub in a normal frame. Otherwise it will only fit in choppers and similar frames. And really, if we are running this hub we don't need gears in the rear anyway.

I would say that going up one wind would be useful. So if this is a 9 turn, the 8 turn may suit 36v use a bit better. As you say though, it really does beg for higher voltages anyway.

I laced it into a 17" motorcycle rim with a 2.5" tire.

So how does this compare to the other motor you have been talking about?

Back