So, the build begins! A couple of weeks ago theese boxes arrived:
Inside I found theese components:
Besides the Freeradical frame I also ordered four Superhooks for my own deck that I'm going to do later in the process, a full Xtracycle length chain and two heavy duty racks.
And this nicely matte black motor (helps with the stealth look) from Ampedbikes was in the other box along with controller, misc. parts and two torque arms. This rear wheel motors cassette/freewheel has six gearwheels on it. I noticed a nice upgrade from the last bike I build; they have added Anderson connectors to the phase and power wires on the controller/motor (so much better than the cheap stuff that was on the older version) and also added four stainless steel zip-ties in the box for the torque arms. Nice.
I stripped the wheels, rear brake, rear derailer and some other stuff of my Univega frame and attached the Freeradical frame. Easy and pretty straight forward.
I also removed the crankset, as I discovered the teeth on the chainrign being pretty worn down:
I went straight in and ordered a new crankset, an Avid BB7 discbrake, some bags, new tyres and other misc. stuff I discovered I needed going through the first steps of my build. A couple of days later it all arrived in perfect condition.
I decided to go from 44/34/24 to 48/38/28 chainrings as I will be doing much more roaddriving than offroading on this bike in the future! Crossing my fingers that my front derailer will comply with theese bigger chainrings...
And then the Avid BB7 disc brake. Unfortunately I was only able to get the caliber together with a 200 mm disc. The Xtracycle is build for a 203 mm disc (pre-2012 Avid size) and now I'm wondering of those three millimeters really are that important? I can get a 203 mm disc from my seller, but I would love to save the money though. Does anybody know if I can use the 200 mm disc without risking serious injury - or should I really go get the 203 mm?
I am contemplating on how to avoid bying the Watchacollars from Xtracycle (four pieces at 35$ a piece is really expensive
). But I need to secure my racks to the frame somehow to weatherproof them and to make sure my load (the kids) stay attached to the bike... I would probably go with the idea of using and old bicycle hose sleeved over the connection points to weatherproof it and then add some double seatpost clamps on top of that to hold the racks in place. Have found an aluminium clamp that costs 7$ a piece - that would save me more than 100$!! (if it works out).
Next step is to spray anti-corrosion stuff inside the Freeradical frame. It is definately not treated for scandinavian winters! Left untreated I think the rain, snow and salt will pretty quickly make it rust from the inside-out. Also need to go get some fenders for the rearwheel.
Still need to source my battery. Will wait with that until I have tested the setup with a borrowed 36V/20AH Ping V2.5 battery pack. Maybe it'll be fast enough - if not I will go for the 48V solution.
Well, time to hit the workshop for some more tinkering!