Drew12345 Trek Fuel (AFT Mid Drive, Gauges)

This is a barely used trail system that I found not too far from my house and never been to before. It's a small trail system but good enough for me. Trails were mainly grass but their were some technical single tracks with some short steep hills. However, because people rarely use this, their were cobwebs everywhere. In the video I show two spiders that I pulled off of me.

[youtube]gfw6HwrUX9c[/youtube]

Thanks John. Yeah, I encountered webs on trail before but first time having spider on me. I don't like spiders so didn't like it. But it was worth the ride. I like it when I have a whole trail to myself. Hardly anyone comes to this place I think.

Well, the mid drive has been performing quite well. Really haven't had any major issues other than alignment issues early on. I did find out that my bottom bracket bent a little. I can tell all the chain rings wobble a little. I didn't opt for the upgraded ISIS (same one that several has been using on their GNG) when I bought the kit. It hasn't interfered with my riding so far and probably been like that for a couple months. I think it's from the 1 ft drops I've been doing on the trails. So I will need to upgrade that before the year ends if want to continue doing those small drops.

I do think I would like to upgrade to 14s. I need just a tad more power. I don't want too much because I don't want to wear out the drive chain too fast. But need just a little more. I think I will get the EM3EV battery pack later this year. I want to use a safer technology and put in a normal camelback. I think it should give me the little more power I need, safe, and more stealth.

I washed my chain using simple green and water jug. Wow, that really works well. Got tip off Sheldon brown site.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1408557498.587162.jpg

Well done on the videos, I can see you go to some effort producing them :)

And I like where you've introduced the real ebike sound, I reckon they sound cool

What editing software do you use?

Thanks Megsy73. I use Racerender to add the gauges and then PowerDirector for editing. For editing part where I use powerdirector, I spend 30 min to hour. Honestly, I really don't like editing and with several kids, I don't have a lot of time so spend just enough time to make decent. I'm glad their acceptable :)

Their are plenty of video editors out there but this is what I bought 3 years ago and is easy and powerful enough to use. It was top rated back then for editors under $100.

An upgrade for the AFT Mid Drive is external oil reservoir. I noticed the oil was getting a little low so added some. It's been around 8 months since I had this motor and this is first time doing this. I have to admit - this is pretty sweet!

[youtube]14ZfLkJLDec[/youtube]

Easy trail system. I added a couple of small jumps and couple outtakes where I missed a turn or didn't make it up something.
[youtube]oTD4l8Fl2OI[/youtube]

Down and up switchback. Unfortunately, this switchback was very eroded so a little bumpy but it was fun though.
[youtube]8uya_aspwjU[/youtube]

I realized at end of ride that I was on straight dirt road so let loose. I was around 46v and think I was in 3rd smallest ring (try not to use my smallest cogs which go down to 11t) in back and 44 up front.
[youtube]fl2A7OtExNg[/youtube]

Making effort to make my bike more stealth so moved the controller back under bottom bracket. I'll see how it handles there. Next weekend, I will start painting black some of the parts like cooling fins, controller cover, and chain guard. This winter will completely remove and paint main bracket.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1409748836.893101.jpg

cool vids as usual mate. really like the jump shots and the one where you kept riding into the green with no track :lol:

You may have seen I went up in amps and am killing hills I couldn't dream before.... but I have a strong feeling I'll be blowing controllers often. It takes tons of power to do it.... so am still running the aft through my head.

If I build one it has to be downhill bike and my total limit is $2k

Humour me and tell me this bike is not compatible
Collosus_DH1_-_web.jpg

Collosus_DH1_-_crank.jpg

Thanks. I enjoy watching your videos also. I notice that a lot of people don't post videos. I'm not sure why?

Nice looking bike. I don't know if it will fit for two reasons.
1. There is bend in downtube. Dypso got it working on his by doing some custom stuff but he did say AFT was working on bracket for these type of bikes but not sure if done.
2. The place where the shock mounts in middle of downtube might interfere with motor bracket clamp.

Here is link to their compatibility guide
http://www.af-tech.com.au/AFT_Compatibility%20guide%201v3.pdf

Personally, I really love this mid drive. It's working really well for type of trails I have over here. I think it would work well on trails over there also. Note: This system maxes around 2800 watts. I think it's because of the controller. So if you change controller, you can probably make it faster. I know you have a fast setup now. Just didn't know if you were expecting the same. My current max speed on flats is 37 mph. But with a faster system, it will also wear out the drive chain faster. I like the dual rings option so you can have larger ring for faster speeds and smaller for hills.

As for price, you can get the kit with emax upgrades under 2000. But if you want the other upgrades like external oil reservoir, ceramic bearings, bigger cooling fins, etc, it will be over 2000.

Biggest thing was reliability and customer service. Both have met my expectations which are very high.

Getting ready to paint some of the parts black. Hope it turns out okay since I haven't done this before.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1410277461.107537.jpg

Aren't you worried about reversing the reason you have cooling fins?

I have an painted silver controller that is an eye sore but it heats up and painting it will reduce its ability to cool. Not only that black which is the colour I want would only suck the suns heat.

Good point. We will see. If becomes issue, I can strip the paint back off. I just finish priming yesterday and put first layer of paint. Will finish up today and let it sit for a few days and put them back on Saturday. Hopefully I did it right.

John Bozi said:
cool vids as usual mate. really like the jump shots and the one where you kept riding into the green with no track :lol:

You may have seen I went up in amps and am killing hills I couldn't dream before.... but I have a strong feeling I'll be blowing controllers often. It takes tons of power to do it.... so am still running the aft through my head.

If I build one it has to be downhill bike and my total limit is $2k

Humour me and tell me this bike is not compatible
Collosus_DH1_-_web.jpg

Collosus_DH1_-_crank.jpg
Hi john,i have fitted my AFT kit to a trek remedy 8 which has a bend in the downtube with no problem.The shock mount may be an issue but i am sure it would be fixable with a drill for a new mounting hole.
darren

I don't want to hijack anyones thread so have started a new one which will be my journey toward an AFT bike.

If you'd like to help I'd appreciate it.

I am having trouble with understanding compatability or how to find a bike that is in my $2k price range.

http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=63332

let us know what bottom bracket type you have on your aft...
thanks

Finished painting parts and put them back on bike. It does make it a little more stealth especially on non-chain side. Hope the paint holds. Look forward to painting rest in winter.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1410979033.928984.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1410979046.361049.jpg

looks better, but my thoughts keep going to "such a big triangle with no batttery in it". 12s2p on aluminium base plate then the whole covered that black bicycle material to make it look light like a cargo bag.

then you could carry beer on your back :)

That's one of reasons I bought this bike because it has decent triangle space. My backup plan was to put batteries there. I still might and the idea of carrying beer makes it more appealing :)

Drew Im getting closer to the AFT but the biggest worry factor is still will it handle the steep continous uphill. Is there any mountain near you could visit to make a video of climbing.

Im not talking about a flat run up to a short hill. I want to see a continuous 10 minute average 20 degree+ climb off road and if you have the thermistor included on your gauges I would be sold like hot cakes.

Any serious mountains are 2 hours from me which is not too bad. I'll do sometime in next few months.

I have no doubt it can do that grade for 10 minutes but how fast is the question. You will need to pedal though. It's all about the gears. I did a mountain ride a couple months ago was pedaling really easy gear and felt like I could go forever. I was riding all over the mountain. I just was not able to go fast. I think I was doing 5-8 mph. And at that speed, I think I was using under 10 amps. I have to go back and watch that video. It was really efficient. Just so you know, I pedal a lot on my bike.

Unfortunately, the motor doesn't come with thermistor and wish it did (hint hint Jim). However, since I had it, it's only cut out once on me. I haven't done any all day rides. The most has been 5 hours.

Back