GCinDC's Giant DH Comp

had to add precharge circuit, extend the maxE wires and allow for both bulk charging and coil charging...
maxE%2Bwiring.png

and just before i put shrink tube over the precharge resitor..
20141031_173145.jpg

hope it's right, lol

it's now 5 days before shoulder surgery and i've got a ridiculous list of things to do before losing the use of my right arm for a month or so... :|

at the top of which is getting my miniE on the stromer for my wife, but first getting the maxE on mine (and maybe putting the twist throttle on the left side). :wink:

nice pics.

great for the guys trying to nut it all out right now..

wouldnt go amiss on the adaptto owners thread too.

Why do you need both bulk charge and coil charge?
They are both same things except that coil charge is better :)
How about new mxus3000? It will be nice together with your Max!

Allex said:
Why do you need both bulk charge and coil charge?
only two silly reasons: 1) i don't have a good three prong AC cord to cannibalize and 2) time.

my time is running out. a got a million little things w/ the porch, gotta get my wife's bike running, and oh, i'm getting slammed at work. so it's not a priority, but believe me, i'm psyched i've got it and i look forward to setting up, sometime between now and the spring.

not sure how long recovery will take, but might be looking at a month or so of hoofing it to the metro, like last time.

anyway, so that my ride is squared away by the time i'm ready to get back on it, i finally flipped it to check out the noise i've been hearing, and the sloppiness i've been feeling, especially around turns...

i've checked several times before and all seemed snug, but the top cap was a decoy/cover cause look what's happened:
20141103_203331.jpg

and the bolt threads were toast:
20141103_203755.jpg

and since the linkage was stripped too, i might tap it out later for a bigger bolt, but in the meantime i just need it a touch wider:
20141103_211704.jpg

and now it's got a new bolt/nut:
20141103_212739.jpg

i'm going to have to check it a lot, and listen for the sound of a bolt falling behind me, until i can get a longer one and use lock/nordlock washers:
20141103_213157.jpg

this morning was my first ride on the max-e. such awesome thrust! amazing what a few more amps do. wheelie machine. got the maxe in the triangle for the winter:
20141103_213539.jpg

while working on it, i realized i'd not yet tweaked the OVS, so upped that puppy, and OMG. y'all w 8kW+ systems nevermind, but this is the first time i've been up there. wow. EV grin all over. god, i want to be on it right now. what a beast.

yeeees. its like that :D

hows things in your helmet department?

thinking of upgrading myself, as this is a whole new ballgame now..

problem is any decent full face helmet would get too much attention.......still not quite sure what to do about this one..

ridethelightning said:
yeeees. its like that :D hows things in your helmet department?
full face whenever i commute like a bat out of hell, which is always, and now ever more so! :twisted: what a fun commute this morning!! it's actually not even faster but the torque, holy crap, i just blow past anything i want. if i see an open spot ahead, in an instant, i'm there. such an awesome feeling. like having 5 cups of coffee.

maybe i should put off surgery! :lol:

its awesome having that much power when you need it.

the other day i was commuting to town, as usual at around 45kph, pedaling to look inconspicupus.

i got stuck behind a buss that wanted to pull over..the people behind got impatient as i went round the buss and blocked their lane momentarily.. honking rudely on the horn,
impatient twats...they would have only to wait a second or two, but no...

there were also people ahead in opposite direction, doing some stupid lane change manoever. in short things were getting sticky.
i just opened up the full herbs and warped outta there!!! :twisted:

seemed like i was going 90kph it 2 seconds.

after that i pulled back into the cycle lane on the side and started pedalling again, back at 45kph...

the dickheads in the black golf pulled up along side, gorking at the bike trying to figure out what the f**k just happened :lol:
i just kept staring ahead, sunnies on, like nothing was unusual 8)

hehe, welcome to the big time. How much power are you actually running ? I'm pushing 12 silky smooth sine wave kw and it's rather glorious. You think it's impressive on the road, get onto the trails and see how much faster that instant acceleration feels on narrow tracks. I can't grab more than 2 second bursts unless I'm on wide open fire trails, and even then after 2 seconds you're going way too fast to keep it up. I have a current limiting switch on the CA3 to prevent unintended acrobatics and otherwise tame the best when cruising around less psychoticly.

GCinDC said:
but the torque, holy crap, i just blow past anything i want. if i see an open spot ahead, in an instant, i'm there.
As if you didn't ride on the edge before! :lol: It probably doesn't need to be said but you need to be even more careful if you're warping into spots like that - cars don't see us at the best of times, let alone when you magically materialize into gaps that were empty a split second earlier. Play it safe man and make sure the only time you end up in surgery is on your terms ;)

find some polyethylene plastic like the walls of a milk jug or ice cream bucket lid that is flat and will fit on each side of your balancing boards so you can keep that BMS from shorting to something by accident.

nag nag. also use a marking pen and label the arm you want removed, "cut along the line". put a label on the other one saying "do not remove"

GCinDC said:
ridethelightning said:
yeeees. its like that :D hows things in your helmet department?
full face whenever i commute like a bat out of hell, which is always, and now ever more so! :twisted: what a fun commute this morning!! it's actually not even faster but the torque, holy crap, i just blow past anything i want. if i see an open spot ahead, in an instant, i'm there. such an awesome feeling. like having 5 cups of coffee.

maybe i should put off surgery! :lol:

eheh how much battery amps do you feed it ? I think the fun beguin @ > 120A @165A peak it's wheelie machine :lol: :lol:
(with 21S I use the economy switch(50%) to limit @ 120A max otherwise @165A on tracks is pretty volatile and the temp get 120°C too early =) when the battery is lower I set 100% to still being able to get 120A ...90A when I reach 3.7V...)
I had the same trouble with the bearing and the screw...DH comp fatigue...

some vids of the beast ASAP plz :wink:

dan974 said:
how much battery amps do you feed it ? I think the fun beguin @ > 120A @165A peak it's wheelie machine :lol: :lol:
just had it at 80A yesterday, only 20A up from 60A on minie.

as i suspected, the controller inside the triangle got flooded with heat halfway up my long hill. so that'll have to come out unless i figure out some other cooling strategy, but not sure it's worth the effort.

i also have preposterously long phase wires (from when i planned to have controller fork-mounted), and as someone mentioned, the bullets could melt over 100A.

nonetheless, i just now upped it to 136A/230A for fun, and yeah, it's fun! :twisted: leaning forward and doing wheelies. that's good stuff. looks like i'm running out of time to get into dirt before spring tho.

in other news, re solar, i'm still net positive (installed 10/2), great considering it wasn't the sunniest month.
20141104_071036.jpg

october was pretty good (and september was a partial month):
Screen%2BShot%2B2014-11-05%2Bat%2B3.11.11%2BPM.png

according to my calcs, and SREC value estimations by installer, it should have paid for itself by the beginning of 2017 and then generate a profit. :p
Screen%2BShot%2B2014-11-05%2Bat%2B4.24.55%2BPM.png

unless of course there's a nuclear or volcanic winter. :shock:

still have to figure out if that income is taxable. :roll:

GCinDC said:
... the bullets could melt over 100A. ...
never had any trouble with 5.5mm ones

GCinDC said:
nonetheless, i just now upped it to 136A/230A for fun, and yeah, it's fun! :twisted: leaning forward and doing wheelies. that's good stuff.
if you know ho to keep V constant after the burst, for lower Amp, it does'nt heat so quick limited to 120A peaks and 80A for hills less than 30s/1min for me...

i was the guy who told you the 4mm lamellar bullets will melt at over 100A, but it seems they hold :)
nonetheless they will heat up wires and therefore also components inside the bag..

out of surgery and still alive :p

once inside, doc saw the shoulder needed deluxe service, anchors, labrum repair, etc. so PT's going to be longer, and lots of fun, but hoppin on the painkiller highway.

oops. i was supposed to email family, not post on my thread!

GCinDC said:
out of surgery and still alive :p

once inside, doc saw the shoulder needed deluxe service, anchors, labrum repair, etc. so PT's going to be longer, and lots of fun, but hoppin on the painkiller highway.

oops. i was supposed to email family, not post on my thread!

I wiss you the best recovery Greg, ...ready to open T soon, enjoy oïn family...

thanks for link. im on the list. :twisted:

my 1st elec bill arrived while all solar, and they're charging me for 360kWh, which is exactly the amount i put back into the grid, along w/ look at all those garbage charges..
20141108_124701.jpg

just ridiculous.

take em up on it if you think its wrong, sometimes they just try to get away with whatever bullshit unless you make a fuss.

Back