Custom Frame Cruiser:+/- finished pg.5

Here it is! I had this issue: http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=59339 but worked it out.
I still want to do a few refinements to the appearance, but WHEEEE!
I only had time for a short ride before storms moved through. Weather permitting, I'll be commuting on it tomorrow. :D

14+-+3

14+-+2
14+-+1

and to compare to the original concept...
IMG_8003.JPG

Today's ride stats:
9.04 mi
7.33 ah
270.87 WH
29.9 wh/mi
61.03 Amax
28.5 maxS
18.8 AvS
28m51s

Street and bike trail,50/50 paved/hardpack. Lots of open stretches for cruising. Stable and comfy. I rode a full measured mile WOT 24mph, no hands with no problems, no wobble. Top speed seems down from the mountain bike, likely due to increased wind resistance from the upright posture. A comfortable posture, I should add. wh/mi is less efficient for the posture' and increased weight on acceleration. Cruising top speed saw about 20 amps continuous. Not sure where the 61amp peak occured. (40a controller) I'm guessing just a momentary excursion. Normal acceleration saw 38-40a. I pedaled very little. IIRC, this system on the GenesisV2100 saw 23 wh/mi, or 18 with significant pedaling.

It's a tall man's bike. I'm 6'1" and I get nearly full leg extension, seat top to forward BB is 29", yet vertically speaking the effective seat tube height is 18.5" so putting feet flat while seated is easy. I like being able to sit upright. That's it for first impressions. :)

you pulled it all together very nice !!!! I love that front fender

I agree, that turned out to be one bad-ass looking bike. 8) Seems like it has a hefty amount of power too.

*clapping* Bravo my good man - looks fantastic. Always majorly impressed with the ground up builds and have been lurking on your thread for a while - fantastic work. Shame you couldn't get some sort of rear suspension to work but as a mainly road commuter shouldn't be a problem...seat looks comfy enough.
When are you gonna fit the rifle holster to the front...should make the commute even easier. :twisted:

Thanks guys. :D I've been inspired by many of you and am glad to give some back to the community.
gknowes said:
I love that front fender
It's the Topeak Defender XC1, made for suspension forks, with some paint I added of course. $32 from http://www.UniversalCycles.com. A good company to deal with, by the way, fast service, good communication, and multiple US warehouses make for fast ship times (select the one closest to you that has your product in stock.)(if you're in the US, of course, though I believe they ship internationally.)
pwd said:
Seems like it has a hefty amount of power too.
Acceleration with the MAC is not bad at all with a 40a controller. I think the bike is begging for a C-lyte or Cromotor and 72v though. (Cromoly Cromotor Commuter? :lol: ) :twisted: ... when the budget allows.
Dark Knight said:
Shame you couldn't get some sort of rear suspension to work but as a mainly road commuter shouldn't be a problem...seat looks comfy enough.
Don't forget the Big Apples! (35psi) They help, and along with the long wheelbase even the bumpity-bump hard-pack is not bad. The suspension and moto solo seat are not abandoned, however. I feel this one taught me the lesson "If you want something done right, you have to do it yourself." Alignment issues plagued me with the first few welders I paid, shade-tree mechanic style. Low price=low quality/low care for the end result. Although, in the end I was the one who made the final f-up on the suspension mounts. I have the materials in the shop for the next build, (along with a recumbent frame awaiting my finishing touches) that will incorporate rear suspension. Once I figure out the proper seat mounting set-up the solo seat will reappear. Another lesson... just because it works in sketchup, doesn't mean it will work in the real world!
Dark Knight said:
When are you gonna fit the rifle holster to the front...should make the commute even easier.
:lol: I've been asked that one many times by friends and family. I have a proper carry permit and a Mosin-Nagant M44 Carbine that would look nice. I could even use the recoil as a pulse engine! It kicks like an angry mule! I would not have wanted to be a front line soldier weilding one, firing thousands of rounds to save my life. 40 rounds leaves my shoulder brusied.

After some enjoyment and data collection as a hubbie, other things I have planned include making it a mid-drive with the Stiletto jackshaft in the rear BB; moving the pedals to the rear BB and swapping in flat bars for a bit of a sport-bike/board-track look (18.5" effective seat tube and a long stretch forward);
and... well, that's enough to get me through summer probably. I'm interested in comparing numbers using the same bike, same system, different configurations, just out of monkey-like curiosity. Besides, I think I'm turning into one of those fools who likes tinkering with bikes almost as much as riding them.

Some comparative data of two routes and types of riding, my commute to work.
Both routes were performed twice, with similar results each time. I recharged at work, but did the data as round trip to offset elevation changes etc.

Route A:
12.2 miles (19.6 km). 40 minutes. 696' (212.1m) total elevation change, workplace is 120' (36.5m) higher above sea level than home.
This is the shortest route. It involves riding the street, much bike lane, but at the overpass it disappears and I take the lane, keeping up with and beating cars off the line since there are 6 stop lights in a very short stretch, then a bike lane again and a semi-rural road. I want the highest speed possible on this route because the speed limits along this route are 35 and 45 mph (56 & 72 kph) in the areas with bike lanes, so you know how fast people are actually driving. I used the highest on the 3-speed switch (25 mph /40.2 kph unassisted) and pedaled some, especially in the busy areas, to make drivers see me- a) as a bike; and b) making an effort to get out of their way as quickly as possible.

Route B:
15.6 miles (25.1 km ). 46 minutes. 764' ( 232.9 m) total elevation change, work is still 120' (36.5m) higher than home, but this route involves a hill near work that goes up 100' then down 100' (30.4 m) within 1 mile ( 1.6 km) FWIW.
This is a longer route. I take a good side-road bike lane North a bit, cross over to the trail head, then South a few miles. (this is what I filmed in the post above) I then go West on a road that has a multi-use trail for most of the distance. (around here, if it's concrete, it's a sidewalk = no bikes; if it's asphalt, then it's multi-use path = bikes OK. weird designation.) It's nice that it's removed from traffic, but all the hillbilly ups and downs of the driveways makes higher speeds uncomfortable. I run this route on the middle position of the 3-way switch. (20 mph / 32.1 kph unassisted) At this speed, naturally, I'm drawing less Watts. About 400 in level cruise compared to 750 on setting 3. Additionally, at this speed my pedaling has more effect. I normally saw 22 mph / 35.4 kph on 200-400 Watts. Near work, coming and going, there is a section of no bike lane again where I go to setting 3 for safety, for about two miles, then back to 2 until the big hill just before work (for the extra umph)

The numbers:
Route A: 12.2 mi (19.6 km) - 9.39 ah - 347.39 wh - 28.6 wh/mi (17.7/km) - maxS 35.0 mph (56.3 kph) - avS 21.6 mph (34.7 kph)
Route B: 15.6 mi (25.1 km) - 9.72 ah - 365.65 wh - 23.5 wh/mi (14.6/km) - maxS 31.7 mph (51.0 kph) - avS 19.5 mph (31.4 kph)

So...
Route B: 28% longer on a 25% lower power setting used 3.5% more total power and was 21.7% more efficient wh/distance, while covering 9.8% more elevation change. Sacrifice 10.4% top speed and 10.7% average speed and 15.0% more time (6 minutes).

Not really sure what this tells you, or me for that matter. But knowledge is power. yadda yadda yadda. May the force be with you.

The bike Looks great,thanks for the spec info. :D

So, I ran this route a couple more times...
SkyknightJohn said:
Route A:
12.2 miles (19.6 km). 40 minutes. 696' (212.1m) total elevation change, workplace is 120' (36.5m) higher above sea level than home.
This is the shortest route. It involves riding the street, much bike lane, but at the overpass it disappears and I take the lane, keeping up with and beating cars off the line since there are 6 stop lights in a very short stretch, then a bike lane again and a semi-rural road. I want the highest speed possible on this route because the speed limits along this route are 35 and 45 mph (56 & 72 kph) in the areas with bike lanes, so you know how fast people are actually driving. I used the highest on the 3-speed switch (25 mph /40.2 kph unassisted) and pedaled some, especially in the busy areas, to make drivers see me- a) as a bike; and b) making an effort to get out of their way as quickly as possible.

...except I ran on the 2nd level of the 3-speed switch, (20mph <32.1kph> unassisted), and pedaled much of the route.
SkyknightJohn said:
The numbers:
Route A: 12.2 mi (19.6 km) - 9.39 ah - 347.39 wh - 28.6 wh/mi (17.7/km) - maxS 35.0 mph (56.3 kph) - avS 21.6 mph (34.7 kph)
So the slower setting:
51 min. 12.9 mi (20.7 km) - 7.52 ah - 287.5 wh - 22.2 wh/mi (13.9/km) - maxS 33.8mph (54.4 kph) - avS 18.9mph (30.4 kph)

A more apples to apples comparison perhaps.
I went 5.7% farther, using 21% less total energy, 22% less wh/distance, giving up 3.5% top speed (thanks hill :) ) 14.2% av. speed, and 10 extra minutes, round trip. It's amazing what that extra 5 mph top level speed and extra 2.7mph average speed cost in energy.

Data from an economy fun/exercise ride:
3-speed switch on lowest setting, 100% bike path, mostly paved. 573' (175m) of climb over the route, also descent as it was a round trip.
13.3 mi (21.4 km) - 4.37 ah - 170.2 Wh - 12.8 Wh/mi (8.0/km) - maxS 26.7 mph (50.0 kph) - AvS 14.6 mph (23.5 kph).
Quite a bit more efficient keeping it slow. Normally I saw 150-200W draw when level.

Comparisons:

The Numbers said:
--Setting-- --Efficiencies-- --Av Speeds--
Top speed: 28.6 Wh/mi (17.7/km) 21.6 mph (34.7 kph)
Mid speed: 22.2 Wh/mi (13.9/km) 18.9 mph (30.4 kph)
Low speed: 12.8 Wh/mi (8.0/km) 14.6 mph (23.5 kph)

Looks like a comfy riding position. I bet that thing feels super solid. Nice job!

Lebowski said:
cal3thousand said:
Looks like a comfy riding position. I bet that thing feels super solid. Nice job!
Thanks! and Thanks!

I'm pleasantly surprised at how well it turned out. I'm liking it more and more each day. I'm also noticing the Gyes saddle wearing in. mmmmm... :p I'm finding the cadence at 20 mph to be my favorite normal commute pace. 44t front, 11t rear in high. Oh yeah, I have still to install a shifter. I intend to, but I haven't missed it. I pedal most of the time at this setting and find it a light-moderate pace, with the chain/freewheel engaged on all but the downhills. My efforts add about 2 mph or lessen the wattage uphill about 150W.

The heavy cromoly frame and long wheel base absorbs a lot of vibration. The saddle, forks, and Big Apples do their jobs, too. For higher speeds I think I'll strive for full suspension and/or a fat, soft seat.

isn't this one pretty:
R24.jpg

I've had positive comments from strangers, co-workers, and colleagues of my fiance - top level bio scientists all. :D -- not my co-workers... hers.
I have some refinements on the way, including: a keyed on/off switch, lengthening the motor phase and sense wires to place the controller in the cage cleaning up the wire bundle under the seat, moped left brake lever and mirror assembly (the bar-end wrap-on I have doesn't work very well on the swept-back handle bars.) Of course, I'm building another frame and my efforts are divided. :wink: It's nice to be riding regularly. I haven't bought gas in a month. :mrgreen:

Finally got a scale. The bike as ridden, with battery and all, weighs 85 lbs. / 38.5 kg. I weigh 185 lbs. / 84 kg. FWIW.

Also, added a keyed switch from Monster Scooter Parts. Key cannot be removed when ON, solving a problem I had with a different keyed switch. My paint job stinks... it flakes off way too easy.

2014-06-18

And added a 8mm post moped mirror (from treats.tv) works way better with the swept back bars than the bar-end mirror I had. Who's that ugly SOB in the mirror?

2014-06-18

AussieJester said:
Great to see you got her finished fantastic job, you should be very proud of yourself...

KiM
Thanks AJ. Your builds were great inspiration to me, to get me started down this crazy path. But they're never really finished, are they?

After two and a half years and about 800 miles, I've pushed the system passed the connector's ability. The black battery connector, and the blue and green phase connectors are just a bit too melty.
14+-+2

14+-+1

They probably got a little loose and arc'd a bit. I have new connectors on the way, and might as well use this down time to upgrade the phase wires and make them longer. And already the MAC is out of it's wheel, ready to go into the pro-wheels rim. I decided the 1.85" ones were too wide, and am going with 19 x 1.4s instead, in black. Red wasn't available. Spokes from JRH arrived today. I have my work cut out for me. :D

just wondering what the od is of the 19"(?) and width of tyres you have there are... im looking for something similar, sort of equivalent to a 24" mtb tyre size.
thanks

ridethelightning said:
just wondering what the od is of the 19"(?) and width of tyres you have there are... im looking for something similar, sort of equivalent to a 24" mtb tyre size.
thanks
Vee Rubber vrm013 moped tires, 19" x 2.25" (rim 19 x 1.4)
OD comes in just shy of 24".

2015-01-28.jpg

It was a cold day in Hell
photo.JPG

The battery struggled to get up to speed,
Even through gloves,
Pedaling was all that stood between
Frost bite and fingers,
When the chain broke,
Six miles from home.
- In a beautiful spot for a photo
- I calculated my odds for getting home
- On battery alone
- In such cold.
Wide Open Throttle
And Watery eyes,
Numb fingers,
Legs lost for want of something to do.
- I grit my teeth at every Watt-stealing stop.
- Releasing the throttle at every top
- of each hill.
I made it home with Amp-hours still. :p

Back