I did some more battery testing. Apparently you need to cycle these packs a few times to wake them up. The battery load I built earlier works out well, but I really needed to automate the testing of so many packs. I need to cycle each pack 3 times. I read about regen charging that the ichargers are capable of, and since I had started a 12volt A123 automotive car jumper pack. This quickly became my choice for the regen battery. It’s a 4S3P pack. You loose a little over an amp from the regen losses, but with 6ahr pack I can easily do 3 cycles and then quickly top off the A123 with a 20amp setting on my Hyperion charger. The cool thing is I’m able to discharge at the max rating of the iCharger. This is close to 7 amps of discharge, but I’m only charging these packs at 1C rate, they are probably 1st gen cells. I just hope they last a couple seasons. The latest readings from one pack were 2.472ahrs. Charged to 4.2V and discharged to 3.5V. This is still short of 2.650, but is acceptable since I don’t plan to push it past the knee. With Turnigy’s you get the full amp hours with the same setting and they don’t require this cycling. For the cost I’m willing to accept a slight performance loss.
I really like the smaller pack sizes; this allows me to really pack in the cells. My new configuration is 12S6P giving me 14.82ahrs if the pack above is representative of the rest. In any case, I am committed to using these packs for the Motobecane and ordered 3 more to get the 12 packs needed for the 12S6P setup. I will know more once all the packs have been cycled. With so many packs, it’s going to take a few days. Here is a picture of the regen charging setup, in the background there is a ceramic pot that the lipo battery is actually put in during this testing just incase something goes wrong.
Here is a picture of the layout on my bike. The width is slightly wider than the Konions. I was not able to fit this much capacity with the 5ahr packs. They are just too bulky. I plan to build new covers, but this time I will be using kevlar/nomex layer for fire protection and will do what I can to secure the packs from moving. Charge taps will be integrated as well with the pcb board I made. It will be difficult to visually check the pacts so I need to do all I can to minimize any fires. With this much capacity I can do away with the rear pack, but most likely use it as well since I now can ride to my trails without my car and still have plenty of run time to to get back. 1.19KWhrs