dbaker wrote:How is caliper clearance to the hub?
~1mm now, after grinding
about that much off the tops of some bolts (bike's original calipers)
HS3540 Install notes:
+ wires coming out axle side
meant no more threading wires thru bolts & washers.
motor wires meant connections on the chainstay which can get hit by pedal and will need special waterproofing treatment.
+ phase wires are like double the size
of the 9C!
- motor/wheel only came w/ 2 washers & nuts
i've always had washers on the inside as well as outside, to prevent the dropout from splitting when the axle nut is tightened
- the plastic bit
on the wire side? too lazy to go back and read 1000 pages on it, but didn't like how it was looking when i attached w/o inner washer there.. started to compress like washer... any suggestions/warnings about how to care for those plastic bits?
- thank god i had extra freewheel spacers
... without one, the (7sp 11T) freewheel jammed against the motor! i woulda been pissed about that. note to methy to ship them and washers.
+ disc rotor install was fine, despite terror of stripping the holes. used small torx wrench and tightened just about as far as i could.
have a bit more clearance
than 9C, perhaps 1.5mm, which was enough for me to work with...
- wheel was fairly true, but the spokes were rather loose
i rode it around a couple miles and then tightened them up very firm.
- the spokes/spoke holes won't have a chance against the winter salt
. i'm thinking the anti-corrosion spray and maybe even caulk, once the wheel settles some more..
- got hall/phase wiring combo on second try when on bench, but once installed, the motor went backwards
after a couple more attempts, i googled and found the right combo
ambroseliao wrote:How does it perform?
Mixed emotions so far. Performance notes:
- didn't notice a big difference right away, perhaps just diff between v-6 and v-8..
- different sounds to get used to, hard to explain.
- seems not as fine control at low speed. slight lag at WOT?
- a bit more torque there, but no wheelie machine!
- feels heavier for sure.
- above 15 mph when i let off accelerator, regen engages like normal, but when i hit the brake as well, it sounds like there's an extra surge of regen that i never had before. i don't mind it, but i keep thinking the axle is shifting in the dropout!
but perhaps it's just more regen current, care of the bigger phase wires?
anyway, dbaker was curious about the hs3540 and wanted to compare w/ his (6x10?)9c on a 24" wheel w/ 24s lipos and a 100V/100A 18fet to compare, and i said it sounds like you want to RACE!
and i whupped him! but ONLY because we SWAPPED bikes!!!
his bike would have killed mine w/ an 18" wheel! it was getting dark and there wasn't anywhere nearby to really get up to speed, so we just did a couple quick countdown starts.. but there was no comparison:
correct me if i'm wrong on your specs, dave... what was your max amps? mine was around 60A @ 77V, so 4.6kw vs your, what 7kw? it would be interesting to see how they'd compare w/ same batts/controller.
... so i cried myself to sleep last night. wept like a baby. if only i coulda drawn more power on his and burnt his 9C
this morning was the real test though: the commute!
+ i did notice more speed
, particularly midrange
, though there's not a ton more torque. turning the throttle doesn't help much beyond a certain point, just seems to saturate the motor.
+ and down the hill under dupont, got easily up to 48mp
+ upon dismount, i was like what's that smell? peeiou - oh yeah, new motor.
i could stand touching it for about a second.
+ CA readings:
MaxS = 48.6mph
Amax = 79
Amin = -12.4