Shadowfax - a semi-retro tourer

JennyB

1 kW
View attachment 2

This is my "get out and ride" bike. The aim as to be able to replicate the times and distances I could do thirty years ago, when I was crazy fit.
The base is a Trek 7.1 FX hybrid, (hence the name) and the motor is a Mini-Might gearhub from Hightekbikes.

The saddlebag contains a 36v 15ah Ping that I won on Ebay. It had been specially built to mount under the crossbar, but it fits nicely right across the width of the bag and close to the seatpost, leaving enough room for other touring essentials.

Controller.jpg

The saddlebag is secured with a quick-release strap through the saddle rails, and rests on this bag support that fits over the seat stays and carries the controller and wiring. I've had the bag and support so long (since the 1970's, I think) that I've forgotten where they first came from. The Brooks saddle is from my late-lamented 1980's Cannondale touring bike.

Bars.jpg

Yes, I'm left-handed and I like to stretch out, so this works very well for me and adds to the retro look. It's an upside-down trekking bar masquerading as a moustache bar with drop-ins. The original Trek grips also make nice armrests when you are battling headwinds.

Weight: 52 pounds total
Speed: 20 mph unassisted. About 18 mph average on a 22 mile ride over fairly hilly roads using motor mainly for hill assist. Same ride pre-motor: 12 mph.
Range: (estimated, under the same conditions) 60 miles.

Is that motor similar to the old Tongxin, Jennyb? My browser doesn't show any pictures.
otherDoc

docnjoj said:
Is that motor similar to the old Tongxin, Jennyb? My browser doesn't show any pictures.
otherDoc

Now edited to include pics as attachments.
The motor is same as that reviewed by Ypedal here. It's a fair bit heavier than the Tongxin (9lbs wheel total) but stronger and rated at 350 watts continuous, so better suited to the hills here. no complaints so far, except that I haven't worked out how to enable cruise.

Zoot Katz said:
Wow! That's discrete. The hub motor looks no larger than a Rohloff hub.
I'm inspired by your build.

Thanks. It's only rated at 350 Watts continuous, but that's enough (with a little help) to deal with the local hills. It was that rather steampunky look of the spoke heads against the black body that inspired me to use the old saddlebag, which works very well. The weight it further forward than a rack mount, so it still balances when I lift it by the back of the top tube.

very nice build,looks non electric.very very nice. :)

JennyB said:
Thanks. It's only rated at 350 Watts continuous, but that's enough (with a little help) to deal with the local hills. It was that rather steampunky look of the spoke heads against the black body that inspired me to use the old saddlebag, which works very well. The weight it further forward than a rack mount, so it still balances when I lift it by the back of the top tube.
Yeah, I've been thinking about a third ebike and want to try a geared hub motor.
EBII is a nice riding bike and pedals well. le Béte has a more upright riding position and is my most comfortable bike.
I was thinking of something roadster like on 26" X 1.4" slicks, North Road bars and a E-Zee motor but that Mini-Might looks like it might fill the bill. I want a comfortable bike that's lighter and easier to pedal than the two I have. It must be discrete and primarily pedal powered.

A saddle bag looks right on the semi-retro bikes. That was something I'd considered for EBII. (hmmm, I wonder how much LiPo it holds?)

What's you audio impression of the Mini-Might?

Zoot Katz said:
A saddle bag looks right on the semi-retro bikes. That was something I'd considered for EBII. (hmmm, I wonder how much LiPo it holds?)

The Ping measures about 13"x6"x4" and takes up around half of the main bag. There should be no trouble carrying enough lipo for a genuine easy 5-hour century. :D
What's you audio impression of the Mini-Might?

I can only compare it to the Bafang 8fun, and it's quieter than that. Not silent, but probably unnoticeable in any traffic. At its worst, it's less annoying than the sound of a set of knobblies on tarmac.

Thankyou JennyB. I wanted to hear a comparison of that particular geared motor to the Bafang and quieter is better. Maybe Santa will bring me one?
otherDoc

Gorgeous-looking bike - looks a lot like mine except with more thought behind its construction and with a very classy - and i bet, comfy, leather saddle. Quite possibly the best-looking ebike I've seen. That motor looks almost like a regular hub!

Very nice! Stealthy with retro bits. I'm really starting to like leather accents on bikes.

I just love the look of nice road bikes. I would pick one up but I just can't handle being bent over that far when I ride for a long distance.

Love the clean look of those little rear geared hubs. I've only tried the front ones, and they really do make the bike handle so different.

very nicely done.

Now that I have some really light lipo batteries, I'm starting to think again about turning one of my vintage roadies into a cheater. I just wear out so fast now, trying to pull a 52 tooth sprocket. Not like when I was young. My long haul / commuter bike is such a heavy tank of a bike though. Something superlight for the weekend sure has appeal.

JennyB said:
The Brooks saddle is from my late-lamented 1980's Cannondale touring bike.

I like that leather saddle, there's something about using wood or leather gives the bike a retro look, and nice placement for the batteries

dingotookmybaby said:
JennyB said:
The Brooks saddle is from my late-lamented 1980's Cannondale touring bike.

I like that leather saddle, there's something about using wood or leather gives the bike a retro look, and nice placement for the batteries

A couple of days ago I discovered a downside of that battery placement - the hard way. It seems I've got used to moving my weight back off the saddle under hard braking, and the saddlebag gets in the way of that. Steep twisty downhill (not under power), narrow road with water streaming down it. Car suddenly appears coming up. I fishtailed and went out the side. No damage apart from a bit of road rash, but it was pretty scary for a moment, and I'll have to practise my emergency stops. :oops:

JennyB said:
A couple of days ago I discovered a downside of that battery placement - the hard way. It seems I've got used to moving my weight back off the saddle under hard braking, and the saddlebag gets in the way of that. Steep twisty downhill (not under power), narrow road with water streaming down it. Car suddenly appears coming up. I fishtailed and went out the side. No damage apart from a bit of road rash, but it was pretty scary for a moment, and I'll have to practise my emergency stops. :oops:

Sorry to hear of your contact with the bitumen, Ouch! its gotta hurt, I meant nice placement of battery for it's discreet factor not the better handling one

Back