I have taken all the suspension fittings apart to check wear and they all seem ok. tbh i don't reckon the bike had much use before i bought it.
I have made a bit more progress. The 7 speed freewheel turned up earlier this week, so i fitted it to the hub for a trial fit. The thread was nice and clear and it slid on no problems, but, do you think i could get the thing off again?? no way.
I had to buy a freewheel removing tool. Not a bad idea to have one in my toolbox anyway. While waiting for that to arrive i realised the freewheel extends way past where my frame sat against the spindle. Adding some temporary spacers solved that issue.
An improvement i want to make with regards the freewheel frame clearance issue is a spacer that can take the load of the bike insead of relying on the threaded part of the spindle, this of course has a hole drilled down the middle and leaves the whole assembly incredibly weak.
Now i discover the rim is no longer central to the frame. It needed moving about 4-5mm. I had to dish the wheel, which was a shame because i had it running nice and true. Oh well, it gets easier each time i do this.
With that problem fixed, it was time to see if everything lined up ok. I added 10 links to my chain and to my suprise the chains and freewheel worked perfectly. I couldn't resist running the hub, so with my bike turned upside down i quickly ran the phase wires from my other daily ebike to see how the gearing match to the hub speed. The motor runs at 25mph no load speed, although i didn't time the cadence, pedal speed is 'comfortable' and i was one gear up from the 11t. When i decide what batteries and voltage i am going fto fit, i know the chainring and freewheel is going to be matched ok.
Today i got a chance to ride it for the first time. With every available battery in my possession, i 'cobbled' them all togther to give me 36V 15ah [with diodes :0) ] They are 36Volt 5Ah pings batteries.
I am used to low powered hubs and controlling the power used to get maximum range with light assistance.
This is new to me. The BPM is very power hungry compared to what i am used to. My controller was hitting current limit. It did improve as things warmed up. I went for a 5 mile ride and couldn't keep the current much below 15A. My turnigy meter showed a peak of 22A although i am sure the controller was cutting out earlier to begin with. I used 2.2Ah, 107wh and speed was around 21mph. The bike isn't setup to my liking yet and i obviously have the wrong electrics, the crappy MTB tyres were dire and i nearly came off into a tight corner....... (It was an experimental ride just to see what improvemants i need to make). I have already ordered some schwalbe city jets so that should improve rolling resistance. Incidently, i can achieve 24mph on my 260rpm tongxin marin commuter bike with way less power consumption, so there is plenty of scope for improvement on this bike.
Now i have to decide about controller/batteries/voltage etc etc