Cyclone 1000W 48V setup on a 20" Dahon Mariner

GGoodrum

1 MW
I finally got around to doing something with the Cyclone 1000W kit I got a couple months ago. My original plan was to install it on my Townie, which has been out of commission, due to trying to run 100A through the stock 5304 wires (insulation melted and all three phase wires shorted, which blew the controller quite spectacularly... :shock: ), but doing the math on the gearing made me decide to do one of the 20" folding bikes instead. Using Matt's experience with his chain drive cruiser as a performance guide, I decided that It would be hard to get the same sort of gearing with the Townie. Matt basically just had the motor tied directly to the back wheel, with an 80T sprocket in the back, and an 11T motor sprocket, which gives a basic ratio of about 7:1. He used a 3-speed hub, which has a 1:1 ratio in 2nd. He reported that he could use 1st for starting out, then shift to 3rd, only using 2nd for hill climbs. This sounded pretty good to me, and he seemed quite happy with the performance. The problem with the Townie is that it has a 26" wheel, and Matt's setup uses a 20", so to get the same sort of gearing, I would need to go a bit higher than 7:1.

The Cyclone setup comes with a freewheeling crankset, with a 44T large chainring and a 6T motor sprocket, which is about the same ratio as Matt's 80T/11T setup. This crankset also comes with a smaller 36T drive sprocket. In orrder to match Matt's 2nd gear 1:1 setup, that would mean I would need a 36T sprocket on the back, and that is on a 20" bike. Taking into acoount the larger 26" wheel means this rear sprocket would have to be even larger. Anyway, that's when I decided to switch "gears", and put the Cyclone on my 20" Dahon Mariner.

Even with the Mariner, however, matching Matt's gearing was going to be problematic. It came with a 7-speed derailleur setup which had a 30T as the largest sprocket in the cassette, so I couldn't even get to 1:1, to match Matt's 2nd gear performance, much less something taller for 1st gear. In order to get some sort of performance baseline, however, I decided to go ahead, and give this a shot. Unfortunately, I never actually got to try this setup. Because I went from the stock 52T chainring to the 36T on the Cyclone crankset, the chain ended up being too long for the deraileur mechanism to take up the slack, for all but the 1st gear, and even it was dicey, so I decided to take a couple links out. The problem, which I soon found out, was that the master link I added wouldn't fit through the deraileur guides. I found this out by picking up the back wheel and running the motor, which I had already done several times before deciding to take the links out. As soon as the link got around to the derailleur guides, the whole assembly exploded.

At this point, I decided to replace the 7-speed deraileur setup with a Nexus 3-speed hub. This duplicates Matt's setup, but I needed to somehow get a 1:1 ratio from the front to the back. The hub came with an 18T sprocket, so with the 36T up front it would introduce a 2:1 ratio change in the wrong direction. Nonetheless, still looking for some sort of a performance baseline, I decided to give it a try. With the hub set in 1st gear, to get the maximum ratio benefit, it did okay on a flat layout. It groaned from a dead stop, however, so I knew this wasn't going to work without changing the sprockets. The easiest to change was the rear one, so I started with it. The largest I could find that would fit the Nexus hub was a 23T. I was going to just try this with the 36T, but I couldn't get the chain to fit right. There's not much play in the dropouts for adjustment, I guess because there's less need, given the derailleur mechanism. So, that meant going ahead with changing out the 36T for something smaller. My friend Dennis (dirtdad here...) did some searching and found a 24T titanium chain ring for me, with a similar 5-bolt pattern. The bolt circle diamter was larger on the sprocket, so I ended up having to drill new holes. I also had to use a Dremel to cut away a little material in order to get it to fit around the freewheel outer ring. It was actually pretty easy, and I had the new 24T front sprocket on in short order. Luckily, the chain fit much better this time. :)

Here's some pics:

eMariner-09.jpg

eMariner-10.jpg

eMariner-11.jpg

eMariner-12.jpg

The kit came with a lot of hardware bits, most of which were useless. Even the main motor bracket was ill-fitting, and seemed as though it was hacked up from one for one of the smaller motors they sell. I ended up having to make a couple of undebar supports, drilling new holes in the motor plate, and providing my own bolts and nuts. The motor bracket only has holes for two of the four motor screws, which are pretty puny for something that weighs this much, but I have to say, the motor bolted down is rock solid. I tried pulling on the back of the motor in several directions, but it would not budge, no give at all. Still, one of the first mods I'll do is to add some sort of extra support for the upper two motor screws. The kit does come with a chain pulley, for adjusting the chain tension, but no clear place to put it. I ended up drilling yet another hole in the motor bracket, and again had to use my own screws/bolts. I thought about leaving this off, at first, but decided that with such a small motor sprocket (6T...), you really need to use this in order to make sure as many teeth make contact with the chain as possible. Once adjusted properly, this seems to work just fine.

One thing I really like about this kit is that the electronics are pretty much plug'n play. With no instructions at all included with this kit, this is important. Everything had unique plug/connector types, so there was no way to misconnect something. The kit comes with a matching plug/pigtail of heavy gauge wire for conecting to the batery system. Everything else just plugs together. The throttle, which is similar to the Clyte 1/2 twist variety, has an on/off switch for the controller and a 3-LED "gas" gauge.

I ended up mounting the controller to the two screw hole positions normally used to hold a water bottle. This actually turned out to be a very easy installation. The case is a three-sided aluminum extrusion, with a steel plate for a bottom, and two steel plates for the ends. Removing one end plate allows the steel plate to slide out. Nothing is attached to this plate. I then drilled two holes and bolted it to the bike. The controller then slid back onto the now rigid bottom plate, and then I reattached the side plate. Took about 15 minutes, start-to-finish.

It is now ready for testing, which I will do this afternoon. I test rode the bike last night, but my 16s4p a123-based pack wasn't charged (been using it for BMS testing...) so it was without the motor on. I had a little interaction between the chains, which I fixed by moving the motor sprocket out a little bit. Originally, I was using the stock chain, which is a bit narrower than the "cruiser"-type chain that is on there now, so I needed more clearance. The bike did okay, and the Nexus hub shifted smoothly. With the ratio now, which is pretty close to 1:1, it is like you are pedaling a mountain bike using the "granny" gear. In 3rd this wasn't too bad, but I really don't have a problem with this. That's because with all the extral weight, pedaling this if something dies is going to be a chore, so the extra tall gearing is desirable. One thing I hadn't relized is that when you pedal, it turns the motor. I noticed that it was also feeding the WattsUp I have setup, so I guess it is doing some regen? Anyway, another freewheel on the motor would be desirable, I guess, but that is not going to happen with a 6T sprocket.

One thing I was not prepared for was how much extra noisy this setup is, over a typical hubmotor, but with some more detail in how the motor chain is adjusted, along with the chain tension, I've been able to minimise this to an acceptable level. Good lube helps as well. :)

Anyway, I will do some test rides this afternoon and will report back here. I'm hopeful that since I now have pretty much matched Matt's gear ratios, I can get similar performance. His setup is a lot heavier, but I'm guessing I outweigh him by a simialr amount, so we'll see. :mrgreen: I'm not looking for tire-screeching performance. I just want a 48V setup that will get me up and down hills as easily as the stock 4840/5303 setup does on my other 20" folding bike with my wife on it. To get that before, I needed to use a 5303 on 24s/72V, and a 4110-mod'ed controller with the current limit bumped up to about 60A. That was actually overkill, and would abslutely smoke the front tire, even with me leaning over the front wheel, but a stock 7240 controller, with the 72V setup, was just marginal. My hope is that with the extra gearing, the 1000W motor will provide "adequate" performance on 48V. My life will be a lot simpler if I can get away from having to use 72V setups. :)

-- Gary

Good show Gary !

Yeah.. the " hardware kit " is a real stinker of a mess of parts.. there has to be a much better way. The 500w kit was also interesting.

The motor bracket.. check these pics.. I was going to make one from some thick plate steel.. but on a weekend trip thru the " Princess Auto " .. like Napa or Autozone.. but all sorts of stuff.. in the hydraulics section they have " Farm Equipment " type AC motors.. switches. etc. and i spoted these !!

Not cheap: 30 $ - but considering the amount of hours this saves me.. well worth it ! ( PM me if you'd like one ! )

Attachments

• bracket1.JPG
    bracket1.JPG
    47.9 KB · Views: 10,371
  • bracket2.JPG
    bracket2.JPG
    45.2 KB · Views: 10,370
With some machining on the motor shaft and the sprocket it might be possible to squeeze in a one way needle roller clutch.

Good find on the mount. :) That thing is a beast.

A needle clutch would have to be pretty small, but maybe going to a larger chainring sprocket than the 44T would allow a larger motor sprocket to be used.

I got some testing done this afternoon, and the results were better than I expected. :) This thing has plenty of power to get me up anything. It tops out at 2521W, and 55.24A. I really like how the Nexus hub works. It shifts very smoothly, and can be shifted while at a complete stop.

Acceleration in 1st gear is quicker than any of my 72V Clyte setups, but I could easily start out in 2nd gear, from a dead stop. One test hill near here, was no problem. When it slowed slightly in 3rd, I simplyy downshifted to 2nd, and accelerated up the hill.

The noise is definitely a bit louder than the 5303, but mainly just under a max load. Backing off the throttle just slightly, dropped the noise significantly.

I did some speed tests . in each gear. I ran the motor up to the point it sounded like the chain was going to let go, which was a bit stressful, as the chain is basically between my legs. :shock: Anyway, in 1st, it would top out at about 16-18 mph. In 2nd, I couuld get up to about 23-24 mph, and in 3rd I got to 31 mph. Actually, I might've gotten a bit more in 3rd, but it is just too scary for me on such a small frame. Anyway, this is definitely fast enough for a folding bike. For something like my Townie, having a couple extra "upper"gears would be nice.

Tomorrow I will do some more tests, and maybe try to do a video.

-- Gary

Hi Gary

Nice job on the bike! looks like a beast of a motor that thing! great hill climber I am sure but I am surprised that you prefer it to the 5 series motors you have been running~? my experience from running a cyclone and a currie and the geared BMC hub motor is really the opposite, I much prefer the simplicity of the X5? nothing to break (unless you melt the wires :lol: ) and silent in operation, ok its heavy but I have found it to be the best motor I have ever tested.

The thing I didn't like with the chain based set-ups I had was the chain wear and adjustment for a start, the noise, the stealth factor as they were all more obviously motorised bikes, I still like the idea of chain drive though esp for hill climbers.

I will be interested to see how the hub copes with the motor power, I think that it should be OK, looking forward to some video of it in action though interested to hear the noise that it makes. So you haven't given up on your X5 powered rides then? I still think for the money, power,simplicity,stealth that the X5 is a pretty hard motor to beat and I really have tried them all apart form the opti bike! ha ha.

Thanks for the pictures and the full report as detailed as ever, keep it coming!!

Knoxie

Nice job on the conversion. How well does it stop with all the extra weight and rim brakes on 20" wheels ? If you need lower gearing you could always use the larger 44t chainwheel that appears to be sitting there unused to drive the rear wheel through the crank. Slide the motor out and run the motor drive chain outside the pedal drive chain.

I still have three other bikes with x5s on them, but I'm down to just two good controllers, and both of those are unmodified v2 controllers. I agree that 5304 on a 26" bike, or a 5303 on a 20" are great setups, but I've found that I have to run these at 72V or they just won't get me up the hills around here. Running at 72V complicates everything. I can't use a single WattsUp meter, I have to use two, which really makes the wiring a mess. Charging is also complicated because I have to either just charge half at a time, or use two 36V chargers. I will also need two BMS boards.

What drove me to the Cyclone setup in the first place is that I was hoping that by using the bike's gearing, I might be able to still get up the hills here, but with a 48V setup. I now know that this is definitely possible. I can also live with the noise. I don't need the stealth, so much. We live in a gated community in a valley that is 5-6 miles long. The security is basically mall cops with golf carts. :D Occasionally, an OC county sherriff will drive through, but only once every month or two.

What remains to be seen is how well this setup will stand up to lots of use. For that, the hubmotors probably have an advantage, although my "mean time between controller failure" number on the Clytes is pretty low.

One other pleasant surprise was that this is definitely more efficient. During my torture tests yesterday, my "burn" rate was 798 mAh/mile and 37Wh/mile. Normally, with the 5303 and a 4110-modded controller, and a 24s/72V a123 setup, doing the same sort of tests I'd use well over 50Wh/mile. I guess that's because it takes about 6000W+ to get my generous butt over these hills, but only 2500W with the geared Cyclone setup. :mrgreen:

Here's a couple more pics:

eMariner-14.jpg

eMariner-15.jpg

eMariner-16.jpg

Stopping is actually a lot better now, because this setup is a whole lot lighter than the 5303, which weighs as much by itself as the whole Cyclone conversion plus the batteries (16s4p a123s...).

In this setup, which is different than all the lower power Cyclone kits, the motor drives the 44T chainring, not the drive train directly. The "pedal" drive sprocket that comes with the kit has 36T. I changes this to a 24T, and replaced the 18T that came with the Nexus hub with a 23T. That gives me pretty close to a 1:1 ratio, front to back, and about 7:1 between the motor and the 44T chainring. In 2nd gear, the Nexus hub is 1:1. 1st is 0.75:1 and 3rd is 1.33:1.

Today I will try and do a video.

-- Gary

Hi Gary

All understood! it looks like a super nice bike as well, really looking forward to seeing and hearing it on video, esp hill climbing!! will check back tonight with my popcorn!! :lol:

Knoxie

EMF said:
Nexus hubs Rule! I hope that this setup gives you better efficiency over a hub motor. I am very interested in driving the rear wheel via a gearing system of some sort.

Yes, I really like the Nexus hubs. My wife's Townie has a Nexus 8, and it is very nice. Going to a Cyclone setup on it would solve another problem i have. This bike came with a hub brake up front, and no mounts for either V-brakes or disc brakes. Right now it has a big mountain bike fork, to hold the 5304, but I can't find any V-brakes to fit around the big "fat frank" tires. If I go to a Cyclone setup for this, I can put the stock fork back on, and use the stock hub brake, and take advantage of the Nexus gearing, which has 5th gear as the one that is 1:1. 3rd is equivalent to the 3-speed's 1st gear, so there are two more that are lower. The 3-speed's 3rd gear is somewhere between the 6th and 7th gears n the Nexus 8, which would increase the top speed. With this, I wouldn't necessarily have to have a 1:1 ratio front-to-back. I'll have to play with the numbers a bit.

I'm sure the Nexus hubs can handle the power. There's a guy with a bike shop down in San Diego (Rusty Spokes, in Pacific Beach...) who custom builds chopper-style motor bikes, using Etek and Mars motors. He uses these same Nexus 3-speed hubs with these beasts, and they have worked flawlessly, even pumping 15 hp through them. Instead of chain, hoever, his bikes are belt driven, using regular toothless v-belts. There's a little bit of "slippage" when starting out, which is like a clutch. Works great, he says, and these things can hit close to 60 in just 2nd gear. Anyway, he's never had a single problem with any of the Nexus hubs.

-- Gary

GGoodrum said:
In this setup, which is different than all the lower power Cyclone kits, the motor drives the 44T chainring, not the drive train directly. The "pedal" drive sprocket that comes with the kit has 36T. I changes this to a 24T, and replaced the 18T that came with the Nexus hub with a 23T. That gives me pretty close to a 1:1 ratio, front to back, and about 7:1 between the motor and the 44T chainring. In 2nd gear, the Nexus hub is 1:1. 1st is 0.75:1 and 3rd is 1.33:1.

Today I will try and do a video.

-- Gary

Got it, my mistake. The super size version of my little MY1018 BB drive set up.

Know anybody that sells new eyes? Mine seem to be a bit worn.

disndat said:
Here's a crazy idea-how about subbing an RC motor similar to matt's bike for the cyclone motor.Would this work?Just a thought.

Actually, that is one of my next projects. I have a big Neumotor 2215 "inrunner"-type motor that has a super heavy-duty German-made P62 6:75:1 planetary gearbox on it. This motor is designe to be used with big 1/3rd-scale RC airplanes, and can easily handle 6000-7000W, continuous. Steve Neu uses only the best quality steel and magnets in his motors, and has the cores hand-wound down in Mexico. As a result, they are extremely efficient.

Anyway, my plan is to put this on another folding bike I have, a 16" Dahon Curve, which also has a 3-speed hub. The motor/gearbox combo is about the size of a soda can, so it will be a great fit on this "little" bike. The controller I will use is a Kontronix Power Jazz, which is good for 63V and 200A peaks. I'm still playing with the gearing options but with the planetary GB on the motor, which has a kV of 480, the rpm at 50V is about the same as the Cyclone motor. This will be a very fun project, and I'll definitely do a new thread for it. :)

Steve now even has a longer version of this motor, a 2230, which should be able to put out Etek-sort of power levels. All of these are rated to at least 60,000 rpm and they are barely coasting at the 20k mine will run at on 50V, or so. They just don't get hot at all.

Anyway, I need to get both Townie's going again, plus I need to finsih up the BMS boards with Richard, before I can get to this "Neu" project.

-- Gary

WOW! Gary, as usual, you don't disappoint. I've been waiting for your write up on the Cyclone kit. Great job.
I have a question about the Crystalyte controller. Did you consider using the 48v 40a controller? I was curious
if that controller would just be a little brother to a 72v version. For example, less
voltage would equal lower top speed but if you kept the current high wouldn't you still have the torque to power you up
the hills? I don't mean to change the course of this thread, but you mentioned that issue and I was just thinking and well
you know where that takes you :) Again, great write up.

Garry, you obviously don't have any interferance between pedals and the back of the motor, but just how close do you get ?

Daniel828 said:
WOW! Gary, as usual, you don't disappoint. I've been waiting for your write up on the Cyclone kit. Great job.
I have a question about the Crystalyte controller. Did you consider using the 48v 40a controller? I was curious
if that controller would just be a little brother to a 72v version. For example, less
voltage would equal lower top speed but if you kept the current high wouldn't you still have the torque to power you up
the hills? I don't mean to change the course of this thread, but you mentioned that issue and I was just thinking and well
you know where that takes you :) Again, great write up.

Do you mean on the Townie? If so, that won't cut it, I'm afraid. You just can't raise the current, with a lower voltage, as heat losses start to play a bigger role. These losses rise as a square fnction of the current. The other problem is that phase wires on the Clyte motors won't handle peaks above about 80A, or so. The controller I was using started out as a 4840, but Bob Mcree modified to by replacing the FETs with 4110s, and he upped the current limit to about 100A. The latter change caused the insulation on the motor wires to melt, which shorted the wires and blew the controller. Performance at 72V and 100A was "spirited", to say the least. It accelerated like a motorcycle. :mrgreen: In any case, Running the Townie at 72V, with a limit of 40A, is marginal, in terms of getting me up the hills. Running the 5304 at 48V won't get there, at pretty much any "usable" current level.

I haven't had time to do a video yet of the Cyclone setup, but I will soon. I've done a few more test rides, trying to get a feel for how to use the gears effectively in order to maximise efficiency. So far, it seems to work out best to start in 2nd gear, and shift to 3rd as soon as I get going. For the smaller hills, i don't even have to downshift to 2nd. Starting at the base of one of these smaller hills, 2nd still works fine, but I need to leave it in 2nd a bit longer. With the bigger hills, downshifting to 2nd is required, and if I start at the base of one of these, that's when I need to use 1st.

-- Gary

Pete said:
Garry, you obviously don't have any interferance between pedals and the back of the motor, but just how close do you get ?

I haven't actually thought about this, but apparently it is not a problem. :) I can pedal fine without hitting the motor.

Daniel828 said:
Would a brushles RC controller work with Cyclone's 48 volt motor?

In theory, I guess it would, but I'm not too sure. I have a 63V Kontronix Power Jazz controller, but I'm reluctant to try it, as I'm saving it for my next project, which is to use it with a Neumotor 2215 motor that has a heavy duty P62 planetary 6.75:1 gear box and put this combo on a Dahon 16" Curve folding bike that already has a SA 3-speed hub. Besides, the Cyclone controller maxes out at 55A, which is more than enough for this geared setup.

I've been using the Mariner quite a bit lately, and I'm really amazed at how much torque this setup really has. Way more than the 5303 with 72V and 65A that this setup replaced. With the front-mounted 5303 setup, it would spin the tire, but if I leaned over the front a bit, I could get it to bog down, from a dead stop. With the Cyclone setup, it will pop a wheelie in first gear, even with my 250lb+ on it. :) Generally, I start out in 2nd, and shift quickly to 3rd. Going up a steep hill, I'll downshift to 2nd, but the only time I need 1st at all is starting out going up a steep hill from a dead stop. Top speed is something up over 40 mph, but that is too much for me on a short wheelbase like this. Even my Townie, with its fairly long stride, makes me nervous at speeds up over 40.

If I were to do this again, I think I would leave the stock 36T drive sprocket alone, but still do the 18T-to-23T change in the back. I changed the front 36T to a 24T, so that I could get something close to a 1:1 ratio front-to-back. I wanted to come close to the ratios that Matt was running on his custom cruiser. I did this, and I think I'm getting similar performance, but I think that since this whole setup is so much lighter, I could get away with a lot less low-end torque, and that would also make the pedals a lot more useful. Right now, even with the hub in 3rd gear, pedaling is like being in a super granny gear on a mountian bike.

In order to clean things up a bit, I moved the controller to underneath the rack, in the back. Here's what it looks like now:

eMariner-18.jpg

eMariner-19.jpg

Now that we seem to have a handle on the BMS board, finally, I'm planning to get back to trying to do a video with this bike. Since this is 48V, I can go back to using an EagleTree MicoLogger to record amps, volts, watts and speed, so I can superimpose these onto the video. Anyway, as soon as I get the first wave of kits shipped this week, this video is my next priority.

-- Gary

Hi Gary. I've been following the Dahon build. I am currently using a crystalyte set-up. I have the 5303 in a 24" wheel with a 72v-40a 12 fet controller.I use 24 dewalt cells in series (I know, not alot of current). I like the way my bike rides, top speed is plenty, mid-range is great, but off the line could be a little better. What's most appealing about the Cyclone kit is the fact that you seem to get the same if not better performance than your X-lyte set up.I'm seriously thinking about ordering the 48v cyclone kit and gonna try it at 52.8 volts 4.6 amps. I can reconfigure my packs into that with a couple extra cells. I think the controller should handle that small amount of over volting? :eek: We'll see. Where did you order your kit from Gary?
Thanks
Dan

Daniel828 said:
Hi Gary. I've been following the Dahon build. I am currently using a crystalyte set-up. I have the 5303 in a 24" wheel with a 72v-40a 12 fet controller.I use 24 dewalt cells in series (I know, not alot of current). I like the way my bike rides, top speed is plenty, mid-range is great, but off the line could be a little better. What's most appealing about the Cyclone kit is the fact that you seem to get the same if not better performance than your X-lyte set up.I'm seriously thinking about ordering the 48v cyclone kit and gonna try it at 52.8 volts 4.6 amps. I can reconfigure my packs into that with a couple extra cells. I think the controller should handle that small amount of over volting? :eek: We'll see. Where did you order your kit from Gary?
Thanks
Dan

How many cells do you have in parallel? Just curious.

The controller can defintely handle up to 60V, at least. My 16s6p a123 pack is about 59V, right off the charger, and it quickly settles in at around 54-55V.

I ordered mine directly from Cyclone. Shipping is a bitch, but it is very fast. I got mine in three days.

I can definitely confirm that my setup definitely has more hill cliimbing torque than my former 5303/24s5p setup. Top end is about the same, but both are too high for me anyway.

I'm using 24 cells in series, none in parallel. The cells are in Solderless Power Tubes by MEC (3 seperate packs of 4x2 ). I started using these when I couldn't use the 33 volt config. or any combination of the original DeWalt package.i.e.33 and 66 volts wasn't enough and 99 volts was too much. I don't use a BMS and I charge them up in parallel with a Mastech 30 volt 20 amp, variable power supply. Charging takes about 15 min.I would like too try charging the cells individually, does that mean adding a pair of charging "taps" to each cell. For example I have 8 cells per pack, I would need 16 wires for charging. A positive and negative wire per cell? I've seen your example with the 12 vindividual chargers but I don't understand.Anyway, my charger is adjustable so I was thinking of adjusting to 3.6 volts and putting the current all the way up and charge each cell. I think I have enough power for that?

I should've realized what your voltage was by your pack config. sorry about that. :oops: I agree about top speed, 35-lower 40's and more can be scary. I don't have a problem sacrificing topend for better acceleration and longer range. Mine can reach upper 35-37 mph on flat no problem albeit only for a couple of miles, but if I'm ginger with the throttle and mix in a little pedaling I can go for about 10 miles and still have fun. My biggest complaint and you seem to have too is the 70 plus almost 80 volts it takes to run the X-lyte setup. I like the idea of lower pack voltage and adding more aH instead of large voltage and somehow tall aH. It can get very expensive. Thats why I'm still using 79.2 volts and 2.3aH. It's not alot but I'm amazed at how fast that little bit can get a bike going.Well, as usual thanks for your research.
Dan

You can't leave the cells in series, in each of the 8-cell packs, if you want to charge them all in parallel. If you had wires going to each of the cell junctions, though, you could individually charge each cell with your Mastech supply, one at a time.

You need to be VERY careful about not over-discharging the cells. The a123 cells are very strong, all the way up to the end, but without any sort of balancing, or periodic monitoring of the individual cell voltages, you could very easily have the case whereone cell is low enough that it reaches the end of its capacity before the rest, and then dumps. Whe these go, they go quick. They will drop blow 2V in a heartbeat, if you are not careful, and once that happens, the cell is irreversebly damaged.

-- Gary

Ah, I see said the blind man. I would have to charge each cell, one at a time with one Mastech power supply.How do you use the Voltsphreak chargers? You can use all of them at the same time, correct?

I have overdischarged a few of the cells. I noticed some moisture in the tube and upon disassembly I noticed that some cells resembled an SLA battery when it sulfates. I tossed those and threw in some fresh spare cells. I now periodically take the packs apart and check each cell. Time consuming but I don't have a BMS, so I judge discharge by watching my mileage or as soon as I feel the controllers LVC kick in.Thats roughly 2.8 volts per cell. I'll turn the controller switch off and get home to charge.

My goal is to average 30mph with a 10-15 mile no pedal range. I need more cells to accomplish that(obviously), and a cyclone kit with a nuvinci or shimano 7 or 8 speed hub should make that goal reachable?
I can get the nuvinci hub at cost, but I heard they stiff "shifting" feel under load. They have a 350% range, 50% more than a shimano nexus 8speed. Can't find too much info but I'm willing to try a 1000 watt cycone kit with a123's and Nuvnci hub laced to a 24" wheel.
Dan

GGoodrum said:
I finally got around to doing something with the Cyclone 1000W kit I got a couple months ago. My original plan was to install it on my Townie, which has been out of commission, due to trying to run 100A through the stock 5304 wires (insulation melted and all three phase wires shorted, which blew the controller quite spectacularly...

-- Gary

Gary

What limit would your reccommend running a X5304 at 60 volts without frying the wires?
60Amp 70A?

Thought you would be the one to ask as you have pushed it to the limits of failure.

Back