Andy's Giant DH Comp Build

acn49

10 µW
Always liked the Giant Downhill Comp so i was lucky enough to pick up a ripper on fleabay , the bike was only used for a display promotion for a while then put into storage , it features Rockshox World Cup boxxer forks , Xfusion rear shock , Mavic rims , Ringle hubs , Hayes 203 discs , checked the bike out before bidding , as new never ridden .
The plan was keep it light and reliable , Keplers builds always impressed so a BPM code 11, 48v 15ah lipos , 48t chainring , Kiwi adapters , 13g DT spokes , 3 speed switch , cruise with micro switches on both levers , 7 speed grip shift and CA 2.3
View attachment 6
Built up the rear wheel using the mavic rim , the Kiwi adapters fitted perfectly and suited the BPM allowing me to get the chain line spot on
DSCF1502.jpg
Set the bike up using a cheapo controller modded to 35a courtesy of RP3 , it only lasted a short time and replaced it with a Mini Monster .
Mounted the lipos in a topeak handlebar bag with an alloy internal support and foam linned , after a few rides i decided to relocate the lipos as i didn't like the top heavy feel so back to the drawing board !!
DSCF1507.jpg
Made up an alloy down tube mount secured with three alloy clamps and rubber insulation , the lipos being secured with velcro and double velcro straps , the bike felt much better with the lower cog
View attachment 3
DSCF1541.jpg
The next problem was covering and protecting the lipos neatly , decided to keep it as simple as poss , had to be easy to remove and refit , used 2.5mm coated MDF sheet cut into panels and coverred with black vinyl , secured with internal velcro pads and acouple of ext small straps , slips over the top tube and doesn't move , works great
DSCF1543.jpg
DSCF1544.jpg
Very pleased with this Ebike , good all round performance , great suspension , beaut brakes , really nice to ride , mostly used on bike paths and off road tracks
Thanks very much to everyone for all the info here on ES has helped me heaps

I might have seen this one around before :wink:

Great work Andy

Great to see you have finally posted up this bike build Andy. Every time I saw this bike when out riding, it always impressed me with its clean lines and great functionality.

Attention to detail is great and I love the "Giant" decal on the side. Gives the bike a bit of an OEM look.

Congratulations on a great build (and your first post :D )

Back