Giant dh team, with custom build frame

flua73

1 W
Has for some time begun on yet another e-bike build. Have liked Giant dh team cycle of its compact rear suspension, but would have room for a lot of battery in the frame. Found a worn / old frame for the right money to cut into parts. My plan is swing arm and rear suspention from team dh bike with an aluminum battery front (stealth fighter style) with room for 15s 5-6s lipo :) , Here are some pictures, hope you like it ..
Flua 73

p4pb5500014[1].jpg

IMG_1412.JPG

View attachment 4

IMG_1455.JPG

IMG_1644.JPG

View attachment 1

IMG_1656.JPG

Wow

Fantastic work. Great fabrication skill there. I particularly like the way you flanged the swing arm Assembly to attached to the battery box. Makes the build modular and opens up opportunities to design different front boxes and have them interchangeable. The current front section is quite Bomber like with nice lines and plenty of battery capacity ready for a high powered hub. You could do a second front section designed for say 600Wh of battery that is more compact and streamline suitable for say a geared hub build.

Anyway, very nice build. Subscribed and look forward to seen the bike progress. 8)

Thanks "Kepler" I have another e-bike (specialized big hit http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=53800&p=800504&hilit=flua+73#p800504) As I use daily 84V 10Ah. The next project is to fabricate a seat post mount..

very impressed matey,i am just planning the same on type of thing but going mid drive,any chance of the dimensions of the front triangle box?
darren

H.I.M said:
Wow. What alloy used for boxes? What brand?

It was aluminum plate that I found at my job, the name is 5083 and the box is 3mm thick. Then the part that the shock absorber is attached against 5mm thick, and reinforced with a threaded stainless steel plate on the inside

great work. looking forward to see the finished bike :)

izeman said:
5xxx alloy should be heat treated after welding. it becomes very soft. i used 7020 because of that.
You're probably right, I'm not as well read on aluminum alloys. from wikipedia

"Alloy 5083 Retains exceptional strength after welding. It has the highest strength of the non-heat treatable alloys"

Flua73

voicecoils said:
I think this will be the best Giant DH Team / Comp build yet! Very nice fabrication work.

That was the dream for my DH Team in 2008. I wish I had your welding skills 8)
Thanks man :oops: , I'll do my best. Must read through your building

IMG_1672.JPG

Work has continued to manufacture the bracket for the seat. Have had some problems getting the design right, but now almost right. Are there more than "Zelena vozila d.o.o." selling cromotor in europe?
flua73

Attachments

• IMG_1715.JPG
    IMG_1715.JPG
    207 KB · Views: 6,096
  • IMG_1733.JPG
    IMG_1733.JPG
    200.9 KB · Views: 6,096
some things have arrived at the building, controller Kelly KBL 96251st And cromotor v2, which unfortunately had the rim been destroyed in shipping, dented and warped. damn tiring when this happens :twisted: . Notified to the shipping company and are waiting to hear .. Now for something better has been manufacturing "heavy duty" stainless steel dropout plates. With plenty of space for the engine. Have threaded aluminum plates and inserted stainless v-coil threads. Very happy with the result, very stable :D . Here are some pictures ....

Attachments

• IMG_1785.JPG
    IMG_1785.JPG
    103.6 KB · Views: 2,025
  • IMG_1790.JPG
    IMG_1790.JPG
    96.6 KB · Views: 2,025
  • IMG_1796.JPG
    IMG_1796.JPG
    179.2 KB · Views: 5,804
  • IMG_1803.JPG
    IMG_1803.JPG
    89.1 KB · Views: 2,025
  • IMG_1806.JPG
    IMG_1806.JPG
    140.4 KB · Views: 5,804
  • IMG_1814.JPG
    IMG_1814.JPG
    118.5 KB · Views: 2,241
  • IMG_1863.JPG
    IMG_1863.JPG
    169.3 KB · Views: 5,804
  • IMG_1894.JPG
    IMG_1894.JPG
    110.7 KB · Views: 5,804
tried to mount the rear wheel complete, was a little worried that it would be too low with 24 "rims. now it feels fine ..

Attachments

• IMG_1930.JPG
    IMG_1930.JPG
    184.3 KB · Views: 5,732
  • IMG_1934.JPG
    IMG_1934.JPG
    173.4 KB · Views: 5,732
Have bought a couple of second hand hope brakes, front Mono 6 ti and back mini mono with floating rotors. if they stop the bike as good as they are good looking :shock: , I get happy. will be connected to a pair BionX Press Switch for brake cut-off...

Attachments

• IMG_1982.JPG
    IMG_1982.JPG
    128.9 KB · Views: 5,637
  • IMG_1989.JPG
    IMG_1989.JPG
    142.5 KB · Views: 5,637
  • IMG_1992.JPG
    IMG_1992.JPG
    152.9 KB · Views: 5,637
  • IMG_1997.JPG
    IMG_1997.JPG
    150.9 KB · Views: 5,637
flua73, your bike is looking awesome. Way to go. I see you have kept your seat tube angle on the steep side and I am guessing it is so the seat tube is not interrupted by the fabrication you have put together for the battery enclosure. Just an idea for you, if you ever want to put a bit more slackness into that seat tube mast bringing it closer to the stock angles you could go with a dropper seat post. I have a dropper seat post and I would never be with out one now. Its so cool to be able to adjust the saddle height on the fly with the trigger switch on the handle bars. If you had one of these posts you could easily put the regular angle back to seat tube mast and have plenty of room for full up and full down riding heights with out bumping into the battery enclosure. Just a thought and you may be fine with just how it is but to me the seat tube angle looks very steep as it is now.

waynebergman said:
flua73, your bike is looking awesome. Way to go. I see you have kept your seat tube angle on the steep side and I am guessing it is so the seat tube is not interrupted by the fabrication you have put together for the battery enclosure. Just an idea for you, if you ever want to put a bit more slackness into that seat tube mast bringing it closer to the stock angles you could go with a dropper seat post. I have a dropper seat post and I would never be with out one now. Its so cool to be able to adjust the saddle height on the fly with the trigger switch on the handle bars. If you had one of these posts you could easily put the regular angle back to seat tube mast and have plenty of room for full up and full down riding heights with out bumping into the battery enclosure. Just a thought and you may be fine with just how it is but to me the seat tube angle looks very steep as it is now.

Hey Wayne Bergman

according to me, it does not angle to the pipe so important just the saddle in the correct position, as you know, goes to the saddle can adjust until you find the right position. We'll see how it feels to drive when I get it going. About dropper seat so I have two buddies who have been using these, maybe they've had bad luck but they have the most messed leaked air (RockShox Reverb), etc. but there are of course the ones that work better. But surely a good thing when it's working as it should. But it would appear that I would have a different seat tube angle, so I made ​​seat tube mount as a removable bracket that is secured by a bolt connection, so nothing is carved in stone .... Thanks for your input

flua73, some advantages that I see with the stock seat tube angles (like how the frame originally came from the factory) when it comes to day to day riding is....

1.With moving the saddle height up high when in pedalling mode, the saddle naturally slides rearward behind the BB where you want it to be when pedalling and then when you lower the saddle for riding down steeper sections of trail, the saddle will also move forward as it moves down if you have a slacker angle to your frames seat tube. This forward movement of the saddle when dropping it lower is nice as you can get behind the saddle and your body weight more over the rear wheel when descending steeper sections of trail without having the saddle in your way.

2.It just looks better in my opinion. No body makes a serious down hill bike with steep seat tube angles (that I know of anyways).

Some people set there saddle height once and just leave it there. On DH bikes the guys who shuttle do this and they just leave the saddle super low for rding the steeps and the x-country guys may leave the seat up high because they don't ride steeper downhill sections but to get the most out of an electric pedal assist DH bike I would want to get the benifits of my first two points if I could.

This is just my opinion however and I guess it depends somewhat on your riding style and if you care that the seat tube angle looks steeper than most. I love the bike and look forward to seeing more updates on the fun you will surely have on it.

Have figured on a new seat post mount this weekend, pretty happy with the result. Now I'm just waiting on the mail man to come with batteries ..

Attachments

• IMG_2022.JPG
    IMG_2022.JPG
    235.5 KB · Views: 5,407
  • IMG_2025.JPG
    IMG_2025.JPG
    224.3 KB · Views: 5,407
Wow! Looking good. I hope your battery packs work well for you. I also am running a 24" wheel and it is fine. Of course the fatter the tire you are able to find for that 24" rim the larger its diameter will become as well. I have found the 24" tires are hard to find in most LBS so if you find the right width and diameter that works for you maybe buy a few tires while you are at it before they get really hard to find. I have found some nice 2.30" wide 24' tires for 25 bucks a piece so I bought 4 of them.

Back